Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Insincereturnip
Registered Users
seller

Re: Waiting until a year for solids...?

My son would not really ever eat pureed baby food. It was a source of great stress for me. When he finally got old enough to eat more solid food, he would eat lentils, pasta, etc. Never vegetables or even fruit. For him it was and still is a texture issue. He is almost four and despite everything i have tried is still a very picky eater. He has a borderline sensory issue with food. It isn't about taste as much as texture and he is very suspicious of foods. Wont even eat cake, ice cream, most cookies, etc. Not that I want him to eat those things.

I am not trying to add to your worry. But everyone told me my son was just going through a phase but he never got through it. And I wish I had started some kind of therapy or intervention when he was about a year old. If he isn't interested in foods at a year, I would disregard the pedi and grandparents and take a more proactive approach.

Advertisement

Insincereturnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
litlckrets
Registered Users
seller
seller

Unless you really feel like something is not right, don't worry There is such a wide range of normal for babies. My youngest is almost a year old. He started solids around 10 months or later - but wasn't very interested. We trying babyled weaning, but he wasn't interested in that either. At his age, he eats baby food purees & chunks of bananas. I don't know why he is this way & honestly it makes me laugh that he eats purees intended for much younger babies. He may eat more than that, but I have been more cautious when introducing foods to him. I am suspicious of a dairy sensitivity, so I am hesitant to give him some easy foods like yogurt & cheese. And I've been slow to introduce anything with grains & soy. Oh, well. He is very different from my other son - and is teaching me to mellow out & go with the flow. He is growing well & is happy so I don't worry.

Last edited by litlckrets; 03-12-2012 at 05:44 PM.
litlckrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Food before a year is just for fun. Babies get no nutritional benefit from food before a year.

Your DD is just fine on milk for now
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
smayhew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD3 just turned a year and we just started feeding her, or rather she has started feeding herself. Totally skipped rice cereal phase. All is well and she is just fine.
smayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #15
AEIloveU
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just take your time, and keep trying. My nephew had a terrible gag reflex so he couldn't keep solids down until he was a year old. Made feeding very difficult, but eventually he got the hang of it!
AEIloveU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Two of my four skipped the cereal & puree stage. They just wanted to do it themselves so around 9-10 mos, they were ready to. We did start with Baby mum-mums like another posted mentioned. Those were great for them getting used to a texture in their mouth but it dissolving quickly and not gagging them.
I would keep trying, let baby play, keep it fun, never force and she will get it.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 8 month old (9 months in three days!!!) just eats table food. She likes little bits of pasta, steamed veggies like squash, zucchini, apples,plus mashed potatoes, etc. We don't do purees. We don't really do "EAT" before 1, but we do let her sit at the table with us and experiment. I would say 1 bite out of ten gets down her throat, and the rest is gummed, smushed, dropped and smeared around the table. Perfect! We are EBF and there is just no reason to offer purees or force any other food.
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for the continued encouragement. DD is now eating avocado and banana squished and likes to share my yogurt... And still smearing it in her hair of course. I have also offered her small bits to feed herself but she's not having much luck. The pp made me laugh about baby not getting many pieces down but just practicing.

Last edited by justineybean; 03-17-2012 at 04:33 PM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
heyuitsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a friend from church is exclusively breastfeeding her 16 month old son, and he is doing great, chubby even. he has severe food allergies, so that is why she is just doing breastmilk. still, if baby is gaining properly, I don't see why not! eat good yourself and it will pass on to baby.
heyuitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
smeadows
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not at this stage yet but getting close. Thank you for posting this! I'm trying to prepare as much as possible.
smeadows is offline   Reply With Quote