Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
JessicaArizona
Yes...we know what causes it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Question for EPO and Lax users and ppl who know how to use it:

Ok...so I'm 35 weeks and 2 days with baby #4 and have never done either the EPO or the Laxitive stuff but I've seen several of you talking quite a bit about it.

My questions:

1. When do you start them?
2. How much?
3. How often?
4. What do they do? (what's the point of taking them/using them)

and any other hints and tidbits you can share about it! Brands...ways to use...benefits...whatever!

I'm really curious and would LOVE to know more about it! TIA!!!!

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Question for EPO and Lax users and ppl who know how to use it:

The midwives started me on EPO at 38 weeks. 3 inserted vaginally at night (wear a pad since the oil leaks out) and 3 orally in the morning. (get the big capsules). EPO softens and ripens the cervix.

Haven't tried a laxative though.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had to start EPO early because my body REFUSES to dilate or efface. I start 1 capsule vaginally at 35 weeks, then switched to 2 capsules vaginally at 36 weeks. You insert them at night because the liquid will have a better change to sit there around the cervix than seep out during the day with activity. It DOES seep out, so put a towel underneath you or put a pad on. The EPO stained my brown cotton sheets, and I'm kinda sad about that. It left an oily spot, and I'm hoping it washes out with repeat washings. Still find it weird it stained fabric.

The laxatives you do for labor. They stimulate your lower bowels, which in turn stimulate your uterus since they are so close together at this point. I have done them before to help labor and contractions. One time it worked, another time it didn't. It really depends on if your body is ready or not.

The EPO is to help with dilation and effacement. IF you are dilated and effaced, laxatives have a much better chance of working. You take the maximum daily dose all at once and see how it works. If it does nothing for you, you wait until the next day, and take double the daily dose. If nothing, then stop using it, you may just not be ready. The side effects are that it can give you the runs and you will be on the potty a lot, and it may cause nausea and vomiting. When it worked for me, I did have quite a few potty breaks, but I was SO happy to go into labor with empty bowels, and not have to poop for a while after birth. When it didn't work, I just used the toilet a lot, and was a bit nauseous, but I don't remember throwing up.

The big thing to remember, is that you need to be dilated/effaced, so do the EPO first. I was actually soft (not effaced) and BARELY fingertip dilated, and it still worked. So you never know. I think my body was ready and needed a push. And don't take a TON of laxatives. I'm not sure why so many blogs say to like down the whole bottle of castor oil. I have never had merconium in the water, even with using laxatives. I truly believe you get that when the baby becomes overly stressed by the labor. My first had that, but I had a LONG 30 hour labor that I was not mentally prepared for. I had no problems with my 20 and 10 hour labors, but mentally I was ready and talked myself through it.

Hope this helps!
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another thing I wanted to add... is to not use castor oil if you can. It's GROSS and the taste and oily texture is something you NEVER forget. I got similar (but more muted) results from gentle tablet laxatives. I just took double the daily dose instead of the daily dose. I DO believe that there is something with castor oil that makes it work best, but in the end, they are both laxatives and both doing the same thing. I have heard there are some no-name brands that don't have a smell or taste, but the texture was what I could not get over. If you decide to go with it, take it in a medicine cup or spoon FAST, wipe your tongue, and then drink something. Do not try to mix it with orange juice or milk. If you mix it, try it with a little bit of pop/soda. It's just so awful, getting it down can actually make you want to vomit instantly!

*edited to add that if you choose to look for something else, find a STIMULANT laxative.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.

Last edited by MyKzooFamily; 02-26-2012 at 01:45 PM.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

My midwife has me take 2 EPO orally a day starting at 36 weeks, to soften/ ripen things for labor, help with not tearing, its good for your skin, etc.
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

For the EPO I started orally at 36 weeks, morning and evening taken right after a meal. At 37 1/2 weeks I added another oral at lunch time and one at night vaginally. I take the 500mg ones from whole foods (365 brand). My midwife said the brand didn't matter. I poke the capsule with a pin before inserting.

After reading the other posts I think I am going to up it to 2 at night vaginally.

Never did anything with laxatives and doubt it would be something my midwives would recommend, they really don't seem big on trying to get labor started on your own.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy589 View Post
My midwife has me take 2 EPO orally a day starting at 36 weeks, to soften/ ripen things for labor, help with not tearing, its good for your skin, etc.
Same here...

Don't know about lax though???
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not big on lax but do take enemas (not during pregnancy). I don't like taking lax because I don't know how I'll react to it or how much to take and castor oil... uh...

Benefits of enemas for getting labor started or progressing:
Empties bowels should you want that (I have GBS so I'd prefer to do this)
Controlable by you
Gentle
Heard of adding raw honey to the water for energy
Hydrating because it's going through your colon (please use plain water not the chemical stuff and filter chlorine)
warm water is relaxing, cool will stimulate contractions
Increase strength and make contractions regular
Enemas did not start in hospitals, they've been dated back to BC for use in labor

I didn't have an enema with my last birth because labor started at 3am and I wanted to sleep and when I woke things were moving along. Although I did use small enemas after the birth to help with elimination so I didn't have to bear down at all. If you're doing after birth enemas, I would rec'd small ones because for me the uterus contracting after delivery was painful.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
xoxCoralxox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Im 37 weeks

I take in morning
3 oral EPO
3 red raspberryleaf pills
2 vit. D drop ( just because )

I take evening in bed
2 EPO vag. ( pad helps leaks )
1 cup of RRL tea ( tones uturus for labour )

I tried caster oil with both my LOs and its awful.....within 30 mins ur running to the bathroom for a good 1-3 hours....by the end ur bum is on fire...lol tho its a great way to clean u out i guess. I dont suggest it.

Eta: ill be upping my nightly pills at 38 weeks to like 4 lol it really works well on my cervix.

~~~Expecting Jan.2015 Baby~~~

Last edited by xoxCoralxox; 02-26-2012 at 03:24 PM.
xoxCoralxox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
crunch!910
Registered Users

Started taking EPO at 32 weeks orally because I went a week overdue with DS1 with a HARD, high, thick cervix. I should get more EPO by the time I hit 36 weeks, and at that point I'm going to increase my dose to 1 in AM, 1 at noon, 1 in pm (orally), and also inserting 2 vaginally. I got Barlean's high dose (1300mg?) from local health food store.