Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for EPO and Lax users and ppl who know how to use it:

I started drinking RRL tea at 36 weeks last time, and at 37 weeks I stepped it up to 3 or 4 cups a day. That was the only thing that I did, and just with the goal of making labor easier, not making it start. I will say that I didn't need any laxative or anything like that...my body did that on it's own in the first 2 hours of my 5 hour labor/birth, lol. And I had eaten a big dinner before that, also!

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
JessicaArizona
Yes...we know what causes it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks!!!!! These have been super helpful!!! Think I will skip the lax and pick up some EPO this week. I will be 36 weeks Friday. But I'm going to wait till we get back home from my parents to start it. We will come home either Monday or Tuesday so I'll be 36.5 weeks by then. I'll start lower and then add more the further I get.

That's my plan. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #13
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Check with your care person about EPO in your specific situation. I was already doing well with dilation and effacement at 36 weeks, and I tried some things that naturally help labor ...

And while I succeeded in starting my labor early, I didn't deliver early. I had horrific contractions every night for a month.

Then at last I went into full blown labor on a Tuesday, and had my son on Saturday. Next time I'm going to leave well enough alone unless I'm TOLD to help it along by my midwife.

Anyway. Since I was already in labor and not getting very far with it, and they had tried EPO, stripping membranes, breaking up scar tissue on my cervix by hand, acupressure, and blue and black cohosh ... on Saturday morning she did have me take Castor Oil.

BUT. Only 2 tablespoons. That was key. I didn't have any serious GI issues, but within a few hours I finally started to have good contractions and my water finally broke.

I did use a raspberry and nettle tincture formulated by my midwife, from about 30 weeks, to help tone my uterus and get milk going. I continued it awhile after I had my son too.

Last edited by TrennaII; 02-27-2012 at 12:43 AM.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
JessicaArizona
Yes...we know what causes it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Well for my first three pregnancies I've never done anything to stimulate labor aside from "walking" a lot which did nothing for me.

My water has never broken on its own so far. I was in active labor and nearly fully dilated when my OB finally came in and broke it with my last.

I have an appt this Thursday so I will ask about it then. I'm not trying to start labor early. I would rather my body and baby go when it's time and they're ready. But if the EPO is to help soften and prepare my cervix and even aid in no tearing then I'd love to use it for that sole purpose. I've only torn with my first but I also give birth to big babies so it's a concern I have.

Thanks for the tips!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here is my experience with Castor Oil. It was a last ditch effort before having to be transferred to the hospital (my water had broke 2 days earlier with no labor starting). We had tried everything else up until that point. DH put it in a smoothie so I actually didn't taste it (AT ALL ). I had 1 episode of vomiting and diarreah and I was cleaned out however then contractions started at 2 min apart with 1 min in duration and were INTENSE for the entire rest of the labor (some have even described castor oil induced labor to similar to pitocin induced labor ---something I had not known prior but still glad I avoided a hospital transfer).

Not realizing the intensity of my contractions can be linked to castor oil, I discussed with the midwife this time around about using castor oil once labor started to "clean things out" and she explained that while it was a good option last time around, she doesn't really recommend it for our situation this time around. She explained that the reaction to castor oil can be different each time and that some women don't see the side effects of the castor oil until during or after labor (ugh can't imagine diarreah and vomiting POSTpartum). I expressed my concern about not wanting to poop in labor (I understand it is perfectly normal and all but I am a very tightly wound stressful person and I need to be as relaxed as possible for labor and that would just stress me out) and she explained that many mamas' bodies actually clean themselves out right at the beginning of labor so it may not be an issue but if it is, to get an at home enema kit that we could use when labor starts to clean me out.

I have an appt today and am going to ask her about taking a mild laxative since we didn't really discuss that option.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m&m View Post
explained that many mamas' bodies actually clean themselves out right at the beginning of labor so it may not be an issue but if it is, to get an at home enema kit that we could use when labor starts to clean me out.
Yes this is exactly what happened to me, so I'm not worrying about it this time. I guess it would be nice to KNOW that it was going to happen that way again, but I'll just assume it is until I figure it out
Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaArizona View Post
I'm not trying to start labor early. I would rather my body and baby go when it's time and they're ready. But if the EPO is to help soften and prepare my cervix and even aid in no tearing then I'd love to use it for that sole purpose. I've only torn with my first but I also give birth to big babies so it's a concern I have.

Thanks for the tips!

Yes, the EPO orally is what my midwife has me take for those reasons and should do just that. 1300mg 2 a day. The red raspberry leaf tea also does not necessarily induce labor either, it helps your contractions be efficient and organized, and helps the uterus contract better after the birth too. I've never tried the castor oil, and would only do it to avoid a hospital transfer or something like the previous person's story.
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote