Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
ramiahj
Registered Users

Embroidery Machine questions

My most recent project has been a monkey face lovey and I'm completely failing at making the face. I tried using the zig zag stitch as an improvised method of embroidery but it just looks sloppy. It worked out ok for the lovey I made for my son but I'd like to start making these as gifts so I want them to look nicer.

I've also been zig zagging around the face fabric to attach it to the larger head fabic, this is also very sloppy. Would an embroidery machine serve this purpose as well?

So I'm wondering first if an embroidery machine is fairly easy to operate for someone who is a fairly seasoned sewer? If I were to get a lower level embroidery machine would it do the things I need it to? I've attached a picture of a very rough prototype for the lovey, the idea is there, but it still needs some work.

Also, I can't really justify buying one for just one project so I'm hoping I can use this to make some money on Etsy as well. I have no delusions that it will pay for itself in a month, but if it can bring in a little extra income that would be great.

Thoughts? Input?

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
Does your regular machine have an applique stitch? Mine does & that's what I use to attach the face. I have an embroidery machine & I can't see where it would really help with the face unless you get one where you can make your own design on the computer & transfer it(mine can but I'm too lazy).

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by Rockinmama24; 02-26-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Rockinmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Embroidery Machine questions

Etsy doesn't allow lovies to be sold that have ribbons like that. They are too much like taggies, which have a patent. You can read more about it by googling selling items like taggies on etsy.

To answer your question...embroidery machines are easy enough to operate many people use them that don't know how to sew. There is a learning curve but it's pretty quick.

If you stablize your fabric and use a walking foot...you could widen the zig zag and shorten the stitch length you may get a better satin stitch....some of the high end sewing machines have a designated satin stitch. You could also use some Heat & bond light to keep the layers together while you satin stitch around...the minky is slippery!

An embroidery machine must have a design file....the lovie is kind of big to do on a home machine (even for a 6x10 hoop which is the biggest unless you want to spend 10k+ on a new machine).

Good luck!

Last edited by MomdeIsla; 02-26-2012 at 07:02 PM.
MomdeIsla is offline   Reply With Quote