Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'd love to hear from South Carolina and Georgia Mamas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myall4him2 View Post
I don't have too much advice, but if you want a finished basement, don't go too far below Atlanta, you won't find any basements down where I am. The ground has too much clay, and below ATL you'll get the same heat as Florida!
I'm about 60 miles NW of Atlanta, and the "dirt" is pretty much solid clay up here. We still have basements, but it's hard to grow good grass up here!

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #22
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiasmommy View Post
I live in Middle GA and we have plenty of houses here with basements.
In my mind ATL is middle GA lol

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #23
georgiasmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myall4him2 View Post
In my mind ATL is middle GA lol
HAHA! We get that a lot actually. I live in Warner Robins which is about 100 miles south of ATL but is pretty close to the geographic center of the state. We are below the drop (the bottom of GA is flat and plains; really rich for farming), and still have plenty of basements and I don't have any problems with red clay. There are tons of farmers around here who grow peaches, peanuts, cotton, pecan trees, corn, etc. Very rich soil.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #24
FairSailing188
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
There are a ton of great places in SC and GA to live. Like PP said, you won't find a ton of houses south or east of Atlanta with basements, but many have bonus rooms or dens that the same size as a basement.

If it were me, I would look for jobs first. Charleston SC, Greenville SC, Atlanta, and pretty much anywhere with a military base are good places to start for tech jobs. Once you have some leads on jobs then start narrowing it down. I've visited all of the places that have been mentioned above and they are all nice areas. We live in Mount Pleasant SC which is a suburb of Charleston. You will not find a house that big with any sort of yard anywhere near 200K. It's more like 300K. And then 400K on Daniel Island. However, Summerville, another suburb, does have options that meet your criteria. Schools aren't as good there though. I love Charleston and Mount Pleasant, its a great place to raise a family.

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.
FairSailing188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for all of your info. If the home has 5 bedrooms, then I don't really need a basement. My husband is an Electrical Engineer and is looking for jobs possibly in project management or start up/lead project coordinator. He's also interested in solar energy.

His job is most important but if we have an idea of locations, he can have an idea of where to start searching for work.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #26
georgiasmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvingmy4boys View Post
Thank you so much for all of your info. If the home has 5 bedrooms, then I don't really need a basement. My husband is an Electrical Engineer and is looking for jobs possibly in project management or start up/lead project coordinator. He's also interested in solar energy.

His job is most important but if we have an idea of locations, he can have an idea of where to start searching for work.
He could search www.usajobs.com for gov't jobs. You can search by job or by location.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #27
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiasmommy View Post
He could search www.usajobs.com for gov't jobs. You can search by job or by location.
Thanks for the link!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #28
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

My hometown is Aiken, SC and a *lot* of people transplant there and love it! It is a nice town. Not too small, not too big, has a few things for the kids and adults, historical, local shopping offers a fair amount with lots more within 30-60 min drive.
I met my husband in Mt. Pleasant, his sister lives in Summerville. Also great places to live.
We live in Springfield, GA. Don't move here. I love it, but it is a SMALL town. However, Savannah is less than an hour away and a neat place to live.

ETA: My husband and I were actually both born in Ohio. I was just 4 when we moved to Aiken, he was around 12 when he moved to the Charleston area.

Last edited by Nanner99; 02-29-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Nanner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #29
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

You said he is interested in solar energy...but what wind energy? There is a huge project on wind energy that has just started down in Charleston. I'd look into that if he's interested.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #30
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789 View Post
You said he is interested in solar energy...but what wind energy? There is a huge project on wind energy that has just started down in Charleston. I'd look into that if he's interested.

Wind energy is fine too. Green jobs in general would be his interest if he finds the right area of work in it.