Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
double needles brother machine

So I got a Brother for Christmas and you have to use a double needle (which I hate) for all zig zag stitches. Well the damn thing broke today while making soakers. I pretty much can't leave the house due to issues with this pregnancy, but I can find the double needles any where online. Anyone know where? Or think it would be wise to just use an overlapping stitch for soakers until I can get to the store? They are for personal use.

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: double needles brother machine

http://www.joann.com/schmetz-twin-ma...4-90/prd48293/

http://www.fabric.com/notions-patter...le-3.0-90.aspx

You can't find any needles like these? If that is what you want, any store that sells sewing notions B&M or online will have them.

What model is that? I've never heard of a machine that required a double needle, they can be nice but if the machine will not work with a single needle it should go on everyone's Do Not Buy list.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk View Post
http://www.joann.com/schmetz-twin-ma...4-90/prd48293/

http://www.fabric.com/notions-patter...le-3.0-90.aspx

You can't find any needles like these? If that is what you want, any store that sells sewing notions B&M or online will have them.

What model is that? I've never heard of a machine that required a double needle, they can be nice but if the machine will not work with a single needle it should go on everyone's Do Not Buy list.
See now I looked an looked on Joann's and couldn't find one. Sheesh, haha... Now I feel silly.

It is a SC6600... Why do you think the double needle option means you shouldn't buy it? Honestly, I have never had a machine that needle a double needle and thought it was because I had always had cheaper models. Turns out I hate the feature. It's just a PIA to thread. I like a machine I can set up and go.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've never heard of a machine that won't zig zag with a single needle. Strange. I have a few twin needles sitting in my sewing room but in 20 years of sewing I've never used one. LOL

It has nothing to do with the quality of the machine. I sew on an expensive Viking and don't need a double needle. That really is an odd feature and it would be a deal breaker for me for sure to have a machine that required a double needle to zig zag.

Last edited by TheGreenBee; 02-27-2012 at 07:26 PM.
TheGreenBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Are you sure it requires a twin needle? I'm looking at the manual online and can't find anything that indicates you can not zig zag with a single needle.

Granted I am on my phone and it is a strain to find everything. But I don't see anything indicating that a twin needle is necessary.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBee View Post
Are you sure it requires a twin needle? I'm looking at the manual online and can't find anything that indicates you can not zig zag with a single needle.

Granted I am on my phone and it is a strain to find everything. But I don't see anything indicating that a twin needle is necessary.
Yea, I am sure. There is a list inside the book of what needs a double needle. I also tried and it just does a straight stitch with one needle Maybe I should go through them again. There are like 60 stitches.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yea, the only stitch that doesn't require a double needle is the quilting and overcast
Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I have the CS-6000i and love it. Never had to use a double needle for anything. I recommend it highly!
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
I have the CS-6000i and love it. Never had to use a double needle for anything. I recommend it highly!
I wonder if I can return mine at this point? haha. Thanks for the Christmas gift Ma, but I don't like it...
Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Ok. So I've looked closer at the manual.

To me it looks as though the twin needle is an option for those stitches it lists but not necessary. I have looked through the stitch illustrations as well as the twin needle section and the stitch guide section and there is nothing that indicates that a twin MUST be used, only that it CAN be used. Looking at the pictures of the stitches also gives no indication that a single needle can not be used as the twin needle just sees the stitches parallel to one another as opposed to interlocked. The bobbin thread will look after itself with just one needle, nothing needs to be done.

At this point I would test it with one needle. I've been sewing over 20 years and that is what I would do. If you're not comfortable doing that then I would call brother and clarify but I suspect that the manual means it can be used not that it must be. But I could be wrong. Like I said, ive never seen a machine that doesn't zig zag with a single needle.