Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
fulloflove2
Registered Users

im drained - need more for twins to do

My twins are 6 months but 3 months adjusted. So they do a little more than a 3 month old does. They have been sleeping really good here lately and that is wonderful. I hope they keep it up. Im trying to have more things for them to do during the day because I want them off their heads in their swings. Dont want them to get flat spots. My little girl has a little bit of one and I dont want it to get worse. So I got a bumbo seat that i put them in but they dont like it. After 10 minutes they start crying in it. So I put them on the belly for tummy time and they scream. I finally put a pillow under my baby girl and put her on her tummy and she went to sleep on her belly. I had to put my baby boy back in the swing because he was so whinny. He was wearing me out. I have a boppy but they end up just laying on their heads. They dont like it for tummy. Im going to try to find a jumperoo and an exersaucer. They are just wearing me out. Its like they want me to hold them all the time and I really have a hard time holding both of them. If I pick up one without picking the other up the other one starts crying. It really gets to me.

Advertisement

fulloflove2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Re: im drained - need more for twins to do

I switched mine from side to side, putting a rolled up towel or blanket behind them. I put them facing each other.
hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
hauser
Registered Users
seller

I will say at first it was a little at a time and over time it was easier.
hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My twins were born at 26 weeks 3 days and month 3 to about 9 was exhausting. I really believe their minds were ahead of their bodies and they just couldn't do what they wanted to do. Exersaucers were good (and still are)...once they could be propped up to sit with a boppy they were happier. I put them in a portacrib facing each other propped sitting while I would cook dinner and they liked that. But mostly, those months were just really really hard. Like you said, they just wanted me to hold them 24/7 and I couldn't do that with four other kids to take care of, etc. I finally broke down and got a babysitter every so often. My Mom also came down for a bit after I broke down on the phone. I would urge you to get some help because this is a rough exhausting time! But you wouldn't change it for the world would you ?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine definitely could not do an exersaucer at 3 months! Mine were closer to 8 months (they were only 3 weeks early...so no adjusted age) before they could use it and even then they had to have the blanket wrapped around them strategically. At 3 months we definitely depended on the swing, bouncy seat and just laying on their boppys. At about 4 months we did get the Merry Muscles and that was huge! I think it is for 2 months +. They both loved it and it just added another place for them to go and in it there was no pressure on their heads.

We didn't have any issues with flatheads, but again that could have been due to mine being full-term.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

I hear you! My girls were born at 29 weeks, always cognitive milestones at chronological ate and physical milestones at gestational age. You are right, their brains want interaction but their bodies are holding them back. There are some days when all 3 of us cry! Exersaucers are great but only if they can stand or you run the risk of hip issues, they also need strong backs and good neck control. Mine were in them around 6 months old. Play mats with toy arches rock, I had two that I rotated. Bouncy seats that adjust to a sitting position are good. Have you tried wearing one? To cook or get things done I used to put one on my back in the Ergo. I also second the nanny idea. Sometimes I have her come over so I can take a nap or get stuff done. I also have wonderful SAHMs for neighbors that hold a baby while we all sit outside and watch our kids play. It does get easier, months 3-7 were really hard but now they are sitting up and beginning to feed themselves so it is slowly getting easier since I can distract them with toys or food!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oops just saw a few typos, I'm smart but my iPhone is not
Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Berncone
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in the same boat. My IVF twins were born in November at 34 weeks, they're almost 4 months old now and they want to be held all the time, my DD more than my DS. She does like tummy sleeping on her Boppy and he loves his swingy chair. I hope it does get easier cuz this Mommy needs some rest, so does Daddy. I think they do get really bored and frustrated at not being able to do what their minds want them to do. My husband downloaded an Aquarium App that they like to stare at, it's got several scenes with different fish. Might try that.
Berncone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
hokiebear
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is a rough age. What helped us was wearing them as much as possible. You can wear 2 ergos at the same time, one on your front and one on your back. Depending on their size you can wear two with the moby wrap also. There is also the maxi-mom (for twins) but I didn't find it easy or comfortable. Bouncy seats that rocked/vibrated worked as well. I employ a constant rotation technique around here that seems to work decently - keep switching them (during awake times I mean) from floor to carrier to bouncy seat to swing and then back to floor.

Also keep in mind that they're not always going to be happy. Babies cry, that's what they do. Yes, I know this sounds dumb - the point is to try not to let it hit you where it hurts because the reality is there is only so much that you can do and it sounds like you're already doing that. Being a great mom does not mean that the babies never/rarely cry.

This does get better, I promise.
[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Susanna, happily married crispy-crunchy, babywearing 3 at a time, nursing, baby food making, homeschooling, engineer/math geek Mamma to: Big kid (7.5), Toddler triplets, 2.5 B/G/G and twin boys (almost 1) B/B
hokiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Everyone told me it would get better around 8 months, but for us it was more like 12 months.