Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

4-H Kiddos?

Anyone have their kids or are planning to put their kids in 4-H? When I was a kid I always wanted to be in it, but wasn't allowed. The Cloverbuds Program starts at age 5 and I was considering enrolling my oldest this summer (when he turns 5). I plan on homeschooling this year and wondered if it would be a good addition to that.

Any experiences with it? My husband was really big in the FFA, but never was in 4-H.

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 4-H Kiddos?

I want to!!! No experience, but I have been looking into it locally here to see what is available, and I plan on getting my kids into it.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I grew up in 4-H and it was SO good! Really helped with life skills - public speaking, cummunity service, sewing, cooking, woodworking, healthy lifestyle choices etc.

We participated in public presentations, county fair, state fair, fashion review etc...

When I was younger, I think the starting age was 7 or 8 (at least in our area it was)...so when OP stated age 5 I got really excited! I looked up our local groups and there are 2 in the area now who are open to 5 year olds! I'm going to email and find out more info - and see what it takes to be a volunteer too! My dd will be 5 in September.

My parents were actually our club leaders... then they were able to keep tabs on us but I loved it! We had meetings at our house most of the time. I think what drew them towards 4-H vs. something like girlscouts or boyscouts... was that they could have all three of us kids in the same program and it cut down on running one day to one place and the next day to another place. I'm loving that idea for our kids too. We're definitely going ot check out the local clubs!

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dh and i are both FFA advisors, and grew up in 4-H. We spend a lot of time during the summer helping kids with lamb projects, and a few that have steer, and hog projects too. I was in 4h with Rabbits, lambs for 1 year, and hogs and cattle. Dh mainly just did sheep. My boy can't wait to be old enough to show a lamb.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was going to put my son in 4H when we moved here. I asked my cousin about it b/c all of his kids are in it, and he said it is pretty tough and a lot of work, and he ends up doing most of it.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
dauphin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72
My dh and i are both FFA advisors, and grew up in 4-H. We spend a lot of time during the summer helping kids with lamb projects, and a few that have steer, and hog projects too. I was in 4h with Rabbits, lambs for 1 year, and hogs and cattle. Dh mainly just did sheep. My boy can't wait to be old enough to show a lamb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady
I was going to put my son in 4H when we moved here. I asked my cousin about it b/c all of his kids are in it, and he said it is pretty tough and a lot of work, and he ends up doing most of it.
So is this not really for suburban (nonhomesteading) families?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
DH was the president of the FFA at his high school and has good memories. The thing he doesn't like about the possiblity of us homeschooling the kids is that they might not be able to be in the FFA (he doesn't know the exact rules though regarding that). With 4-H, they can be homeschooled and be in it.

Dauphin- I'm not sure. They may have other club areas that have smaller scale stuff than showing livestock. I'm not really sure since I was never in it. ... I always wanted to be in 4-H as a kid, but wasn't allowed (too many of us, kids, to let us be in clubs) and so I plan on living vicariously through my kids... Such a good mama, aren't I? Maybe another 4-H mama can answer that question.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The rule on being in FFA is that you MUST have an agriculture class. I have a friend who homeschools her son. He takes one agriculture class a year up at the high school and is in FFA. The rest is all done at home.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

you do not have to homestead or have any animals to do 4-H... you just find a club that things that'll interest your kid. here is a link to all of our local clubs... read through and you can see there are lots of options, then find the number for your local chapter of cornell cooperative extension.
http://ccetompkins.org/4h/4h-clubs

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As a mother that was in 4-H as a child and I volunteer with it now I will say that it is a great idea to have you children in 4-H. Here we have several different clubs and they each have a variety of different interests. We also have some specialty clubs that focus justin one thing or another like we have a dog cub, a horse club, and a drama club. Some of the kids are also in more than one club because the want to be in their most local club but they also want to have a club that more directly supports their interests.

4-H is much more than just livestock. We have a Fashion Review for sewing, Share the fun for a talent show, a large County Free fair for all of the great things you would normally see in a fair including arts/crafts, sewing, collections, model rocketry, gardening, photography, and tons more. The choices are endless in what you can do with 4-H.

My oldest son is just now old enough to participate but we have been working on other things and he is not feeling left out when I go help with the Poultry Shows.

Good luck mama. Feel free to PM me you questions if you do not get all the answers you are looking for.