Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am going to have a fit

I am seriously about to stop taking my kids to church until spring/summer. We have been dealing with sickness after sickness and it is because people do not know how to leave a sick kid at home! Alex just got over bronchitis and now he woke up with a very sore throat and a fever of 100.6. I saw on a moms FB post that we go to church with that her kids have been sick off and on for three weeks and she thinks the youngest may have strep and guess what....they were at church Sunday.

Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I am going to have a fit

Oh, I'm sorry. I know how that is. DH stayed home with DS the past 2 Sundays because DS had a cough/runny nose (and I had to teach 2 year old Sunday School, or else I would've stayed home). I never take my kids if they even have a runny nose, even when I'm 99% sure it's just allergies.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
HLCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: diapermamaagain
seller

My Mood:

You should just bubble yourself and your kids. Germs happen. The mama who posted on FB that her kids are sick probably thought they were fine on Sunday(s). You can be 'sick' without any symptoms for days...And if you're dealing with sickness and going to church who are YOU passing it on to?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLCreations View Post
You should just bubble yourself and your kids. Germs happen. The mama who posted on FB that her kids are sick probably thought they were fine on Sunday(s). You can be 'sick' without any symptoms for days...And if you're dealing with sickness and going to church who are YOU passing it on to?
We never go to church sick.The church has a rule about not going unless all symptoms have been gone for 24 hrs and that rule gets broken all the time. I help teach my son's class so I know for a fact kids are coming while sick.

I don't want to bubble my kids, I just want people to have some common sense about it. I just called a bunch of people that I was around yesterday to warn them Alex is sick today, I know you can be sick without symptoms. I just needed to vent more then anything, not have someone scold me about passing germs on.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. I know how that is. DH stayed home with DS the past 2 Sundays because DS had a cough/runny nose (and I had to teach 2 year old Sunday School, or else I would've stayed home). I never take my kids if they even have a runny nose, even when I'm 99% sure it's just allergies.
Same here. I did not take the baby when I was 99% sure she was just teething. I would rather be safe then sorry.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

There was a play date at Mc Donald's not too long again through a meet up group I'm part of. I didn't go because my oldest woke up coughing. The one mom who did go was NOT happy because she overheard a mom calling the school to inform them that her daughter would not be in because of strep, the daughter that was playing with this mom's kid at the play place.

No more meet ups at Mc Donald's now but yeah, some people don't have much common sense or they don't care.

I'm trying to remember though if there isn't something in scriptures that talks about this because I know it's been brought up for Feast time, I've seen it in the booklets that get passed out because during that time, people from all the various congregations meet up and they're all in one place so illnesses tend to be more likely but I can't remember now. They definitely do encourage you NOT to attend services if you're sick, that it's the moral thing to do.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

There was a play date at Mc Donald's not too long again through a meet up group I'm part of. I didn't go because my oldest woke up coughing. The one mom who did go was NOT happy because she overheard a mom calling the school to inform them that her daughter would not be in because of strep, the daughter that was playing with this mom's kid at the play place.

No more meet ups at Mc Donald's now but yeah, some people don't have much common sense or they don't care.

I'm trying to remember though if there isn't something in scriptures that talks about this because I know it's been brought up for Feast time, I've seen it in the booklets that get passed out because during that time, people from all the various congregations meet up and they're all in one place so illnesses tend to be more likely but I can't remember now. They definitely do encourage you NOT to attend services if you're sick, that it's the moral thing to do.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

During cold and flu season, we teach our children to offer a sign of peace without actually shaking hands with those around them if anyone appears to be ill or if we have had a cold. We also teach them not to receive communion from the chalice if they are ill and we sit in the front pew most Sunday's, so we don't have to worry about catching something from people who receive from the chalice and are ill.

I've never felt like we got sick from church.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hear you!

I'm feeling this way about our homeschool group lately.

I am in two different classes and many children are coming in sick.

We just had a reminder last week. Do not bring sick children to group. SImple right? As we walked in yesterday, I overheard a mom telling her son to just go throw up in the bathroom. I thought maybe it was due to carsickness. Nope. Halfway through class he gets sick

Babies in the nursery are always coughing or leaking nose goop too. I'm about to just opt out of the classes for kids 5 and under.

There have been real issues in churches locally too. One is actually shutting down their nursery for two weeks to try to halt the spread of illness.

Last edited by ~happy2Bamommy~; 02-29-2012 at 12:41 PM.
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kids always got sick from church too. We have recently (in the past 8 months) changed churches and that seems to have helped. I don't think the toys or rooms were getting cleaned well enough at the other church. I know that many times kids would be in the nursery or toddler room with hacking coughs and noses with tons of green snot.

One time I took my DD into the toddler room, stayed for a few minutes and noticed that every single kid in there was either coughing or having their nose wiped constantly - all 10 of them. The kids were all playing with toys that they put in their mouths (play dishes, etc.) so I picked up my DD (who had recently gotten over a bad cold) and took her out. There was no way I was going to let her stay in that room and then have to deal with a sick kid again!

I always keep my kids home if they are sick. I hate when people bring in sick kids, so I make sure and don't bring my kids in sick. I just got so tired of going to church on Sunday, seeing sick kids in the room when I went to pick my kids up, and then mid week my kids would be sick