Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #111
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Ear piercing... What age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
Good post.

Question though, all of the tattoo shops I've been in to get my tattoos or pierced have signs that say no children allowed. I've been in 4 and they all had that rule. Does that just mean while a parent is having something done but they will still pierce a child's ears? Anyone experienced this?
That's what's so hard about it. People swear up and down that ear piercing is a huge deal and should only be done by a professional, but it's hard to find a pro at a shop who will pierce kids. At least where I live it is. Tattoo parlors here don't allow anyone under 18. I also decided I'd rather go to the Grandma who has been doing piercings on infants and kids for 30 years than the guy who doesn't usually work with kids. I don't think ear piercing is a big deal and I don't think it needs to be done at a tattoo parlour. That's just my

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #112
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My niece is six and ripped hers while playing and her ears looks awful and she needs plastic surgery to fix it. I think no sooner than teenager or 12 or so. They need to be old enough to ask and take care of it themselves. I am also allergic to ear rings, so I have mine pierced but cannot wear any earrings.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #113
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Well, I am going to tell you what I did and then give you the perspective of my girls. My older two have a Mexican father and it's very cultural to get the ears pierced very early. By the time my girls were two months old they had pierced ears, name bracelets, and Saint necklaces, all combined with the obligitory humongous bow on the head! LOL. My second husband made me promise not to let Alannah get her ears done until she asked for them. I agreed to that. Last October she kept telling me she wanted earrings (she's almost three now). I was hesitant because I had a feeling that if her daddy were still alive he'd say no, but he DID say it was fine when she wanted them. So I told her it would hurt and that we had to clean them every day. She said fine. So I took her to Claires, which I HIGHLY regret. However, she let them do her first ear and she didn't make a peep. She turned her head and let them do her second ear without an issue. She didn't even fuss. However, I regret it because about a month ago she had a terrible terrible infection that built around her earring. It was hard to clean out because of the way the ear was pierced. It wasn't pierced as cleanly with an earring than it would be with a needle. She's ok now. We took out the earring, cleaned it, got the pus out and cleaned it vigilantly until it healed. She's fine now. My ten year old never wears earrings unless she is in a pageant. When I asked her if she wished I hadn't pierced her ears as a baby she said yes. She doesn't like earrings and now she has permanent holes in her ears. My middle daughter likes earrings and says she is glad that I pierced them. So that's my experience. No clear cut answer really.
That would be my fear with piercing an infant's ears. I also personally don't even think it looks cute on little girls. No flames please, personal opinion. I am not a girly girl, and don't like jewerly, nail polish, pierced ears for myself and I don't want to take that choice away from someone as the holes are permanent.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #114
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haven't read all the pages, but where can I get my DDs done? Don't want to go to claires....
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #115
crazymom
Registered Users
seller

We had dds done for her fifth birthday. We wanted her to be old enough to take care of them and understand what she was doing. She did great with them. I tried to find a tattoo shop that would piece them but couldn't, so I had a professional friend of a friend come in and do them. He does tats and piercings for a living.

Di..... mom to my teen, my princess, and a new addition may 2012. I can spell but my iPhone can't!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #116
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

5 is the minimum age here, since the tattoo shops won't pierce before then. And it would only be if they're asking and really, truly interested in getting them done and taking care of them. And aware of the pain.

DD has been asking for earrings since she was 3 (she's 4.5 now). I found a great tattoo shop nearby that will do them at 5 and up and I was thinking I'd make a mommy/daughter day out of it for her bday. I'm actually trying to stall it out until next year when she's 6, because I don't think she's ready for it to hurt. She loves me talking about getting it done for her, loves the idea of having different earrings to wear when they heal, loves the mommy/daughter day plans, but when I mention that it will hurt she isn't a fan.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #117
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaZnR View Post
Haven't read all the pages, but where can I get my DDs done? Don't want to go to claires....
Call around to your local tattoo shops, mama. I ran into a few that won't do them until age 14, but then found some in the next major city over that does them at age 5 and up. The one in particular I'll be taking my DD to charges $65 for the piercing and jewelry.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote