Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So far all of mine have asked by age 4 but we make them keep asking and give them the option to do it right before kindergarten if they still want. Dd1 chose this, dd2 waited till halfway through K to ask, and dd3 has been asking since she was 3. She starts K this fall.

Advertisement

DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
All of my girls had their ears pierced by the time they were 6 months. I wanted to do it when they were young to make sure they got cleaned and stayed clean. My girls never messed with them and never had any problems.

Also, I knew they would be active playing sports and they can't wear earrings. I wanted to make sure they wore their studs for plenty of time. It was the best decision for us. My oldest dd a few months ago told me she was glad hers were already pierced. She had some friends in class going through the process and glad hers was way done......in her words.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
MunkyCrazy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ear piercing... What age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I am another who lets the child ask. I prefer that they have a choice. Kearnan had his ear pierced at 5.5 when he asked to have it done. He had been spending a lot of time at the tattoo shop with dh and I while we got ink done and he liked spending time with the piercer there. After spending so much time with D (the piercer) he started asking for an earring for himself and when I explained to him what it would be like he still wanted it so I consented. We made it a special thing for him, and luckily D is very good with children. That brings me to my other issue, the subject of piercing guns vs piercing by a professional piercer. I would never allow my child to have a piercing done with a piercing gun. A professional piercer has to meet certain state requirements that a teen with a piercing gun does not. They apprentice under a professional before they are ever allowed to work on you or your child, again not true of your average mall piercer. A professional piercer uses a single use hollow tipped needle that removes a small piece of tissue vs a gun that cannot properly be cleaned and shoves a slightly sharpened object (the "piercing stud") through the ear causing tissue damage and swelling. A professional piercing simply provides a cleaner piercing and a better chance of proper healing. I have found piercers that will work with my children at a young age though I don't know about infants as I have never had the need.
It was always my understanding that piercing needles cut in a crescent shape but don't remove tissue, at least with any common, smaller gauges. Dermal punches remove tissue.

I think I had mine pierced twice when I was younger. The first I don't remember but I know it didn't last long, maybe a few days and they were out. The second time I was probably 7 and remember vividly. I am terribly allergic to the crappy jewelry they use with those. Even the ones labeled anti-allergenic or for sensitive skin. After a few days of being pierced, my ears were so swollen I wanted to take them out at night so I could sleep because it hurt so bad to lay down. In the morning, they were so swollen and crusty my mom was holding me down while I was crying and screaming as she tried to push them back through. It was HORRIBLE. Needless to say I never tried again until senior year when I used body piercing needles and used body piercing jewelry, which my body is fine with. Even now a couple hours in cheap jewelry and my skin is red and itchy.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
lil_filly
Registered Users
seller

I am going to wait until LO asks and definitely not taking her to a mall kiosk. I will be getting them done with a needle by a professional.

You wouldn't get tattooed by a untrained teenage girl, nor should you get pierced by one.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you should only do it when your child asks to have it done and only if they can have it done at a tattoo place with a needle...NOT a gun. My DD was 6.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

DD got hers done at 7 months, easy to take care of and done. She is 4 now and is asking for another set...I will probably wait a little on the second pair. I have my ears gauged and a 2nd hole, she tells me she likes my earrings and wants ears like mine
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the right time is when they ask to have it done and are old enough and responsible enough to take care of them.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

20. xP

I was 22 (23?) when I got mine done, and that was such a fricken' nightmare that I'm not going to let me children get their ears pierced until I am confident that they can take care of them, or they become adults. If they are responsible, then maybe somewhere around 12-14.

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

My mom pierced mine when I was 2 or 3 months old. I was glad I never had to worry about it.
loonyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110
I am another who lets the child ask. I prefer that they have a choice. Kearnan had his ear pierced at 5.5 when he asked to have it done. He had been spending a lot of time at the tattoo shop with dh and I while we got ink done and he liked spending time with the piercer there. After spending so much time with D (the piercer) he started asking for an earring for himself and when I explained to him what it would be like he still wanted it so I consented. We made it a special thing for him, and luckily D is very good with children. That brings me to my other issue, the subject of piercing guns vs piercing by a professional piercer. I would never allow my child to have a piercing done with a piercing gun. A professional piercer has to meet certain state requirements that a teen with a piercing gun does not. They apprentice under a professional before they are ever allowed to work on you or your child, again not true of your average mall piercer. A professional piercer uses a single use hollow tipped needle that removes a small piece of tissue vs a gun that cannot properly be cleaned and shoves a slightly sharpened object (the "piercing stud") through the ear causing tissue damage and swelling. A professional piercing simply provides a cleaner piercing and a better chance of proper healing. I have found piercers that will work with my children at a young age though I don't know about infants as I have never had the need.
Fyi when i was staring at the mall piercings today, they used single use piecers, not a reloadable gun. These are the same ones you can buy at a beauty supply store too.

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect