Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

Re: When did/do you have your first appt?

I had an "intake appt" with just the nurse at about 5.5 weeks. That was just height, weight, bp, family history, and bloodwork. My first real appt with my CNM is on Monday, and I'll be almost 8 weeks then.

As far as ultrasounds, it varies practice by practice. With my first pregnancy I had an ultrasound (I didn't go in until 11 weeks with that one) because even though I was sure of my dates, I have wonky cycle history and they wanted to make sure the dates were correct. With this one, the nurse told me that if I was seeing the OB I would probably get an ultrasound for the same reason, but that since I'm seeing the midwife I probably won't since she is less likely to do them. I would really like to see a heartbeat, but I know there's not a whole lot else to see at 8 weeks so I'm okay with not getting it. And I'm positive about dates because i was charting when this one was conceived. Anyway, it depends a lot on what kind of practitioner you're seeing and what their practice's policies are. If you want an early one it doesn't hurt to ask!

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
MunkyCrazy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my first at 7 weeks. Did paperwork, drew blood, did an u/s and we talked for a while about my other births, what I want for this birth, and general stuff about my life. When I go back at 12 weeks she will do the vaginal exam.

I didn't get an early u/s (from the OB anyway) with DS1. They just used my LMP and all I ever got was the 20 week. DS2 I got an u/s at my first appointment for dating and to make sure everything looked good. I wasn't sure if I would get one this time, since I chose a midwife.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #23
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capizzi0 View Post
Yes!!! I see Dr. Schnell but have seen Dr. Sims a few times too (he actually will be doing my u/s). Who do you see? What a small world! I wonder if we've ever seen each other in the waiting room. So did they release you to your OB right after that first ultrasound? For some reason I was thinking they would keep me until 10 weeks.
How funny is that? I see Dr. Sims but Dr. Schnell did my transfer. I got released early because I drive four hours each way to see them, so I had them release me after my second beta. I live north of Austin. I just adore Dr. Sims and don't trust anyone else.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #24
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DDC

With DS I started off with an OB. I called within days of getting my positive and was sent for betas immediately. I had an ultrasound around 6 weeks and my first appointment (no exam or anything) a week or so later. Later switched to my midwives' group.

With my loss I switched to a new midwives group. They brought me in for a pee test right away (5weeks?) but I wouldn't have had an actual appointment for several weeks.

With this baby I was very undecided about who to go to. If I went with the OB/CNMs at my regular doctors group they won't give you a pee test until you're at least 10 days late and you aren't seen until at least 7-8 weeks. I finally decided to go back tomy midwife group that delivered DS. I had my first appointment around 9 weeks with the nurse, then my actual exam at 10 weeks. No early ultrasounds. I was seeing an RE for something else when I got pregnant (lucky me!) so I got an ultrasound at 6weeks and 8 weeks and then they released me. He also saw me just for a consult when I got my positive, around 4-5 weeks.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
capizzi0
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyutalktome View Post
How funny is that? I see Dr. Sims but Dr. Schnell did my transfer. I got released early because I drive four hours each way to see them, so I had them release me after my second beta. I live north of Austin. I just adore Dr. Sims and don't trust anyone else.
Well they are obviously doing something right since we are both here! How did you find out about them/ what made you pick them since you are so far? There are some good fertility clinics in Austin too, no? Were you part of the recent study? We tried to get into that one but my AMH was too high. I really do love everyone at that office though. I will almost be sad to move onto my OB!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
Teahya&nikolais_mommy
Registered Users
seller

Well i was wrong lol they chamged my Appt to tues lol oh well the on wens I have an a consult appt with maternal fetal medicene lol im going to b a busy girl this pregnancy! I still can't believe its twins lol maybe it will sink in more at the next ultrasound
Amanda : , baby wearing, non circing SHAM to Teahya::6-4-08 and Nikolai4-22-10 andwith #3 Markus Anthony and #4 Marius asher
Teahya&nikolais_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #27
zaeaton
Registered Users
seller

I had my first appointment today at 8w2d and it was pretty uneventful. They took blood and did a pap smear. I go back at 9 weeks for an ultrasound- thats what I'm looking forward to!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #28
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My first appointment is on Monday, and I'll be 6w3d. They wanted me to come in this past week, but we were supposed to be out of town. We just moved so this is a new practice, I'm not sure if that's why they want me to come in so early or what.

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #29
Keme
Registered Users

My Mood:

I go through Kaiser and I like the first intake appointment (for me it'll be at 10 weeks). They do all the family history, vaginal exam, and the transvaginal ultrasound in the room at the same time - it's like an "all-in-one" visit.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #30
~Roses~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Going by LMP, I'm due October 20th, so my first appointment (which is just a nurse OB history appt. since it has been so long since I've been pg.) is at 7 weeks 3 days, and then my OB physical is at 7 weeks 5 days, and that's the one I'll be begging for an ultrasound at. I'm hoping that my history on Monday will let them know to insist that I need an U/S on Wednesday. I can't wait anymore, I need to see if everything is okay.