Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
lifesaturtle
Registered Users
seller

Looking for inserts

Im looking for some inserts that are natural fibers and are trim in the middle.
What are some brands I can look into.

Advertisement

lifesaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Looking for inserts

fuzzi bunz makes an organic cotton insert..

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
ladyace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Alva 3 layer bamboo
ladyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did an experiment with all of our inserts and found the Alvas were the most absorbant based on trimness. So that's my vote. Hemparoos did the next best of the natural fibers.

http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1351548
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #5
lifesaturtle
Registered Users
seller

And these are trim in the middle?
lifesaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Alva bamboo are very trim! We have to use two though or we get leaks (and DD isn't a heavy wetter).
Old 03-01-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I love the experiment above! I've always wanted to do a "Diaper Geek" blog with experiments like that.

I tried this with my GMD hemp doublers, since they're my favorite. I have 5 and I experimented with them all and averaged the results. I also lightly squeegeed the water out till it wasn't dripping at all, so if anything this errs on the side of caution.

They appear to far underperform the Alva ... BUT ... the Alva is a lot bigger (it appears to be about 5.3" x 13", according to their website ... my GMDs are about 4 x 11"). Lots of length and width creates bulk too, so what we really need to look at is cubic millimeters ...

So GMDs absorb .00095 g per cubic millimeter Alvas absorb .00092 ... If they were the same size, the GMDs would absorb more per thickness ... But now we're getting into really tiny differences.

So I'd ask whether you really want a doubler as big as the Alvas are (that seems really, really big to me), and what you think about bamboo (which is delicate, softer, less prone to stink, is weaker when wet, wicks beautifully, absorbs less over time, and is a highly processed rayon) versus hemp (which gets stronger when wet, absorbs more over time, is not heavily processed, but can be stiffer and has a long break-in period when it can get stinky).

I personally choose the GMD, because the price is excellent and I have been annoyed by bamboo that doesn't last well ... they are $3 for the size I mentioned, $3.75 for 5 x 12, $8 for an amazing overnight doubler with a fleece top). I use the small hemp doubler, and the overnight hemp doubler, just by themselves as a night diaper. It's super trim and I've never had it come out saturated in the morning. I'm also addicted to all things GMD so the 6.75 flat rate shipping is always worthwhile to me.

Last edited by TrennaII; 03-01-2012 at 02:43 AM.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
Lots of length and width creates bulk too, so what we really need to look at is cubic millimeters ...
Oh dear, maybe I'll get bored/curious enough to do that. Haha. I didn't care too much about the length or width because thickness is what adds the most bulk over here. But yes, I did feel bad comparing a small hemparoos to a large punkin butt.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote