Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What would you absolutely keep?

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this... moderators, feel free to move. Sorry this turned into a novel...
DD just turned 1. In a perfect world, DH would like to start TTC NOW and I would like to wait another year. In which case we would save lots of baby stuff for reuse with #2.
However, we do not live in a perfect world, but we do live in the smallest house known to mankind. #1 is a tight fit and #2 would have to permanently be in our room (not with #1 until both are STTN). Now, I realize plenty of people co-sleep or have smaller houses but due to our particular natures, this house truly is a tight fit now and DH and I have both agreed that #2 cannot happen unless we move. Of course, we are way underwater (but current on the mortgage, and financially stable). Moving right this second is not financially possible but we MAY be able to in the next several years.
So... we could move fairly soon, and have #2, or not move for a number of years, by which time we would probably NOT want #2, or we could never move.
So in our position what would you absolutely keep from #1 for potential reuse? We are trying to balance space issues vs the financial commitment of re-purchasing everything.
We have already eliminated (via sell/donate/pass along) the infant carseat, snap and go, baby swing etc because they take up SO much room. We did keep the exersaucer because it was worth its weight in gold and we bought it new, so $$$. I have DD's coming-home outfit, and a very few sentimental pieces, set aside. Also any clothing that seemed gender neutral.
Diapers - my decision has been to keep anything that does NOT contain PUL or elastic. Ie, the sized AIO's were sold, but I am planning to keep the thirsties duo inserts, hemp pf's, etc. I am hoping we will be closer to a decision by the time she PL's so I can decide what to do with the BGE stash.
The big issue is getting to be TOYS. DD is at an age where the toys are just multiplying... She has a bunch of toys that she doesn't play with, but she MIGHT really like them in 6-12 mos. Or whatever (such as a purse that plays music and you can put lipstick and keys in it, etc. She has zero interest, but it could be really great at age 2. Etc).

WWYD? I'm looking for advice from BTDT mamas - anything you regret selling/keeping? What are your "rules" for keeping, esp if #2 is iffy and may not happen for 3 or maybe 4 years? If you had to do it all over, what would you change? I guess I'm looking for justification? validation? something, anything, to stop me from second-guessing my keep vs sell decisions.

Argh, I think I'm overthinking this but I can't help it. Also we're really been talking about the possibility of #2 recently, and it makes me sad to get rid of stuff that I know I would keep if #2 were imminent AND we had space.

Advertisement

Last edited by DottieHarley; 03-01-2012 at 10:44 AM.
DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: What would you absolutely keep?

I don't know if we are going for #2 or not. I kept almost everything except diapers (as who knows if they will last and we got our money's worth out of them) and one car seat (I think I will at some point get rid of two more as it is getting a bit much) which I gave to a friend. We have a tiny house and I have everything in plastic bins in the attic.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
musicmom2x
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm- I totally feel you on the tight spots vs $$ issue, but I will tell you as a mom of 3 boys you would think I would just save and reuse everything from clothes to toys and equipment. It never worked out for me that way though and I am really glad I didn't keep anything because it seems like I had a different system of 'what worked' for each baby. One took this type bottles one was ebf one took pacis another wouldn't touch them after 3 months, one hated all contraptions meant for containment including strollers, bouncy seats, car seats etc. and one just loved his carseat and would have been super happy in a carseat and stroller frame. One hated to be worn another loved it- etc etc.
Now that I am pretty sure I am done if I had to advise anyone on what baby equipment to keep. If you aren't sure when you are going to be expecting another and don't have the space I say scrap it all and just obtain as-needed. I have never had two kids alike so as far as equipment goes I tend to be really frugal since I don't ever expect more tan one will be using it. As for clothes- keep what is special to you, that is the easiest stuff to get and people just give it to you in my experience.
As far as toys go, if you have one or two special ones that your lo is done with now go ahead and pack them away, to keep up with the toy clutter I regularly cull out unused toys. I will box up anything I think they might revisit or come around too and everything else goes.
So if I were you I would keep one box of clothes/toys that you don't want to part with for new baby and one box of toys for your lo that she may like soon. The rest of the things you aren't using I would sell. If you are worried about replacing stuff later save the $$ you get for the new baby. As for diapers you seem to have the right idea. Hope that helped!!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies I appreciate the idea that maybe I'm not crazy. I really, really wish we had an attic to store stuff in... but no attic, no basement, no PANTRY for the love of mike! So I am limited to what I can shove under our bed which perhaps is not a bad way to limit clutter.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you and hubby are in the bigger bedroom, can you trade and put the kids in the bigger room? We're having #3 this year and will move all 3 into our room and we'll take the tiny room.

I know one thing for sure - that getting rid of baby gear causes pregnancy. So the question would be - if you can afford to re-buy when the time comes, either now or in the future, then that's the way to go. A lot of baby gear can be purchased secondhand or even borrowed if you know the right people. Even just being really serious about having a minimalist wardrobe instead of a closet full of baby clothes could be helpful.

OR, if it won't be in the budget to re-buy, can you store the baby gear at someone else's house or in the garage or shed or even borrow it out to someone until you need it again?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would first find the storage solution that worked best (underbed or whatever works best) and then when I have the box, go thru the baby stuff and only keep what fits in there. This will keep you honest when it comes to your favorite items. Other than that, if you are done w/ it, sell on Craigslist or consignment sale. I don't know that I would even keep that exersaucer, chance are that you can still get a pretty good amount of $$ for it and see if you really want one the next time around. If I knew #2 was coming soon then I would keep it, but if you are looking 3-5 years down the road, then I don't think I wouldl keep any of it. New things come out and it's always fun to buy baby stuff, and it's also pretty easy to find baby gear reasonably priced used.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

To be honest, I bought most of that kind of stuff (swing, exersaucer, jumperoo, bouncy, etc) second hand VERY gently used. I watched CL and the resell stores like a hawk for the best prices on new looking things, and after DS outgrew each of them I sold them...almost all of them at a PROFIT on CL. I was not interested in finding space to store them, we just do NOT have the space and since I was actually making money on most of them, I will just buy gently used again for the next baby. We knew it would be a couple yrs minimum between kids and no guarantee of a second baby anyway, so there was no sense in us hanging onto everything. I do still have all his clothes though, but I plan to have a garage sale this summer and only keep stuff I really like. I bought a RIDICULOUS amount of clothing for him that first yr. If we're being honest, I still do, but I shop clearance and sales so it's not bad financially...it's my one fault thrifty wise. LOL We are talking to the extent of an entire drawer full of onesies (of the same size mind you) for each season, an entire drawer of t-shirts in each size, etc. So I have a ton of containers of neatly organized clothing. Who knows if baby #2 will even be a boy, or born the same season....YKWIM?

I kept his infant bucket seat, because we plan to reuse it (we bought it new).... at the moment I kept his highchair, but I'm not 100% set on keeping it. I may end up selling it this summer. We bought that new as well, but on clearance and with a giftcard we were given, so wouldn't be out any $$ technically on that. I'm wavering on whether we'd use it again. Our house isn't big, and I think I'd rather use one of the space saver chairs that hooks onto your regular dining chair.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Unless you didn't like what you have, I'd save all the diapers. Just store them inside & you should be fine. We kept everything in Rubbermade tubs in the closet so it was a temp controlled area.

We have everything from PUL covers (Motherease Airflows) to WAHM fitteds that I bought in 1999-2001 and then knickernappies pockets, more WAHM fitteds & Joey Bunz that I bought in 2004-2006. My girls used them & then they went into storage from 2006 to 2010/2011, so about 4-5 years. Everything is perfect & even with the flowers, ds wears it all now. The old Airflow covers look like the ones I bought this winter. They are over 10 years old. PUL is excellent as is elastic. You'd never know this stuff is that old.

I very much understand space issues. We are in a 2 bedroom apt. My 2 younger girls share the master bedroom & my son has a crib in with dh & I. My oldest is 18, a mom herself & out of the house but used to share the master bedroom with her 2 sisters. I'm not sure what we will do when my little guy is too big for the crib.

I'd save favorites, sentimental gifts, things that can fold down or multi purpose things & if there's something more expensive that should last a while & be too expensive to easily replace. Not all babies like the same things so I'd keep that in mind, too. My girls loved the swing, bouncy seat & exersaucer. My little guy hated all of those & bearly used them. The saucer became a toy catch all & he only tolerated the swing long enough for me to run to the bathroom.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls & 1 little guy
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would get rid of it all except the diapers. Like a pp said you can usually find what you can get it again later at resale shops. The only things we kept were diapers and the sling. My youngest is now almost 9 months old. His nb stuff has already gone on to other babies. even his diapers have moved on to be used by my niece. The only things I have kept were my sons nb wool covers because my sister prefers PUL.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
taylor's mom
Registered Users

i saved all of the baby gear from dd, and even though it was only 3.5yrs till #2 (not by choice, we wanted them much closer) we ended up having to replace a good portion of the things anyways. the fisher price swing didn't work (and dd had barely used it), the bouncer was on it's last legs (even though it'd been fine when we packed it away), etc. once we found out #2 was a boy, i packed up all dd's baby clothes and traded them with someone at dh's work who was having a girl and we got all their boy stuff from their first. boy i wish i hadn't done that and had saved some stuff since my gut feeling is that this babe is a girl and there was some stuff i loved.
i saved the excersaucer from her and never used it with either of the bopys. i actually just brought it to bru last month and used it as a trade in toward a new infant seat since i'd sold the last one.
i had great luck last year selling stuff at one of the big consignment sales. i ended up making around $800 and most of it was clothing. i shop clearance sales, so it's not like we spend a lot on their clothing to get nice stuff, but i tend to overbuy lol. i'm currently going thru all the clothing totes now for the spring/summer consignment sale and trying to pare things down as much as possible. we have a decent sized house but no real storage space. we do have a basement, but it ends up crammed to the gills because there's literally no place to put things. we're hoping to sell in the next year or two, but i'm afraid that with the market being where it is, we're going to lose so much on this house. yds is still in our room, but we'll move him in with his brother before the new babe gets here. should be interesting because the kid's rooms are fairly small (well, our's is too really) and the boys will be 3yrs and 20mo when the babe gets here, so i suspect they will be up fooling around a lot. most of our problem is that the layout of the house is really dumb and full of wasted space and oddly shaped rooms.