Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

Anybody use Headstart?

Care to share the good, the bad and the ugly? We're thinking of signing our 3yr old up because we just can't afford daycare right now and he needs the social interaction of other kids his age. My work schedule is pretty FUBAR right now, so mom's groups are out, since I never know where I'm going to be from week to week. Plus it would give my husband some time to actually work on the place we got so we can move in.

I just don't know what to expect, what's expected of us as his parents and what they'd expect of Gman. We have the application from our caseworker, but haven't filled it out yet. I do know there are several centers very close to us, so transportation wouldn't be an issue.

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Anybody use Headstart?

I would in a heartbeat if we were eligible. Obviously it is school specific, but most are very good and strong programs. Here's my question? What would be your reason for not doing it?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
blackberry75
Registered Users

I'm just nervous about daycare/preschool in general, him not being in the care of someone I know personally. I know that sounds silly, but he's never been cared for by anyone except me, the hubs, one of my parent or bro, the hubs sister or one friend I trust implicitly. It wouldn't really matter if it's Headstart or another preschool program, I'd worry.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
pcjs
Registered Users

Go for it. My son is doing fine in preschool (its a co-op so I am there some days) and I have a far harder time separating than he does (and then I don't know what to do with myself without him for a few hours). He'll be ok. I'd rather it be head start if I had the choice as they have more regulations and oversight. Worst case, you/he doesn't like it and you pull him out. Its normal to worry!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
blackberry75
Registered Users

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he'll be fine. He's a pretty mellow fellow. I'll def. have a harder time than he will.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you know anyone near you who has used the program? It really does vary area to area. I am sure some of them are really great programs, the one we have here is awful though. They built this really nice new building for it and everything but the program sucks so it doesn't help. Our whole school district is bad though (and it is one of the best in the area if that tells you anything) so headstart being bad isn't surprising. If I were you I would try to network with some moms of older preschoolers who might have experience with the headstart program and really get a feel for it. That is the only way you are going to know what the one in your area is really like.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
reachtothestars
Registered Users
seller

I don't know if you are still looking for answers, but today we had our interview and we just need a script from the dr and not only will they use cloth diapers, they will provide and wash them too.
reachtothestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here, it just depends on where you live. If you're a student parent, the Headstart program near the university is AWESOME. It isn't compensation for things lacking at home.

If you live in a low-income part of the city, Headstart is compensation for things that are lacking at home. That's my nice way of saying that it is daycare for parents who do not have a damn clue.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

We have never used Headstart, but in our area, there a limited number of spaces and children have to test into the spots. But that means lower scoring children get priority as the assumption is that these children are most in need of a program to help prepare the children for school.

And I have ZERO problem with giving the slots to the lower scoring children. I feel like all children at our public schools benefit if as many kids as possible start with a good foundation.
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My son has been on the wait list over 7 months now. He has behavioral disorder which put him at a higher need/position. It is all based on need here and the wait is long.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote