Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Maple Syrup!

Does anyone make their own? We tapped one tree last year, just to mess around and play, and it was so yummy. So, this year, DH has tapped half a dozen or so. He has been boiling sap all week because it is running like crazy. We have a few lovely jars of syrup sitting on our counter right now.

I am just wondering if I can use a coffee filter to filter it, if anyone else has experience. I have read that sugars can cause a cloudy look to the finished product sometimes and the syrup can be re-warmed and filtered to reduce that look. Last year, it was crystal clear, but this year it is slightly cloudy.

Advertisement

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 03-02-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Maple Syrup!

That is so cool! We do not make our own, but after my boys watched a Curious George episode, they really wanted to! We let some Amish men hunt on our land and they give us maple syrup in trade.

Would cheesecloth work? You should go all old-fashioned and make maple syrup candy for gifts! My great aunt has recipes for maple syrup cake and candy because sugar was rationed during war times.

How fun!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had plans to do it this year, read so much of the how to's and all. It's time now, but we have to start the garden and chicken coops. There will be no time. I soooo wanted to!! MIL's neighbor only has 2 mapels and they produce enough for him and his wife. They even got us a tap last year, lol. So much to do, so little time, haha!

You enjoy that maple syrup! And I second the cheesecloth.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That Curious George episode got our house too! We don't have any maples on our property (or really, any actual trees other than 6 giant pines) but one of the farms that comes to our FM is having a festival in March that we're planning to take the kids to!

If the cloudiness doesn't affect the syrup, I think I'd just ignore it!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks, ladies! Well, DH ended up just using one of the filters we use in the collection buckets. He cleaned it, and filtered this batch before he jarred it and it has come clear. It is so delicious.... But, it is time consuming. He boiled every night this week, except two nights, and almost all day today. We still have two buckets of sap in the garage to boil, and the trees are still giving us more. I am hopeful to have some for neighbours as gifts.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow, i have NO clue how to do this. But thats so awesome you have so much! yay for you!!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #7
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

how many trees did you all tap to produce that much?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

He has tapped 6 or 7 trees. I think he has only two tapped on our property, but neighbours have maples lining their laneway, so he tapped 4 or 5 there. Last week, until the weather shifted again, he was getting a full bucket each day from each one. The ratio is something like 40:1, which equals an insane amount of boiling time. We ran out of time last week for boiling, so he just started filling those big lidded 5 gallon buckets. Then, the wind hit, and we couldn't have the fire going all the time, so he had to play catch up on the weekend. But, we still have more to go.

To the PP who wondered about how -- it is really, really straight forward. You can get taps at TSC or similar, buckets that hook onto the front of the tap. You drill into the tree, put the tap in and attach the buckets. You can put a filter in the bucket, too, but it is not necessary (nice though, as you can strain out bugs and debris). You can also get lids. You empty the sap as it fills the bucket, and then boil it down. The boiling is the part that takes a LONG time. We have been doing a combo of using a turkey fryer stand and propane and our fire pit, depending on where we were going to be to keep an eye on it. It is pretty neat.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thats awesome!! wish we had maples here!!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
He has tapped 6 or 7 trees. I think he has only two tapped on our property, but neighbours have maples lining their laneway, so he tapped 4 or 5 there. Last week, until the weather shifted again, he was getting a full bucket each day from each one. The ratio is something like 40:1, which equals an insane amount of boiling time. We ran out of time last week for boiling, so he just started filling those big lidded 5 gallon buckets. Then, the wind hit, and we couldn't have the fire going all the time, so he had to play catch up on the weekend. But, we still have more to go.

To the PP who wondered about how -- it is really, really straight forward. You can get taps at TSC or similar, buckets that hook onto the front of the tap. You drill into the tree, put the tap in and attach the buckets. You can put a filter in the bucket, too, but it is not necessary (nice though, as you can strain out bugs and debris). You can also get lids. You empty the sap as it fills the bucket, and then boil it down. The boiling is the part that takes a LONG time. We have been doing a combo of using a turkey fryer stand and propane and our fire pit, depending on where we were going to be to keep an eye on it. It is pretty neat.
Are they hard maple or soft maple? I've heard that matters when tapping. That is very cool! Do you store it in the freezer or able to can it? This is so interesting!