Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question about eye goop and hep B shot

Ooh, thank you for all of the info! I'll be checking into these more now.

Advertisement

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi

Can't you just put baby on the breast to help produce it and then hand express it into the eye??
That is my plan. My first was a preemie so I only pumped colostrum. They don't want nursing moms to pump to prevent over supply.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone View Post
We are declining the Hep B, but we have no say in the eye goop or Vitamin K shot. Apparently if we were too social services would be called in and all.

I'm going to talk to the Doula about that, but that's the law in NY from what I've heard.
You can deny eye goop

http://ffitz.com/nyvic/law/vitamin-k.htm
http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/newyork.htm

Last edited by tbowers8403; 03-04-2012 at 08:23 AM.
tbowers8403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Sabra
Registered Users

I go along with the eye ointment, but decline Hep B. If you read the information sheet they bring you, you will realize how ridiculous it is. The primary risk factors for the disease are unprotected sex and intravenous drug use. Not exactly behavior newborns tend to engage in. It is simply unnecessary.
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

You've gotten good answers so far! We are denying hep b and the eye stuff. I had a talk with the nurses the other day and they are very supportive of whatever decisions I make. And I don't think vitamin k is necassary unless you were doing a circ.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

I'm nervous about eye goop. I don't want it done. I'm planning a birth center delivery, and the MW is fine with refusing everything, but eye goop is mandatory in my state unless you object for religious reasons. I'm afraid if I have to transfer to a hospital, I won't be able to decline it, or they will do it without my consent. Or if I do decline it, they will call CPS on me.

I'm also allergic to erythromycin, so I'm worried that I will have to avoid contact with the baby. How would I BF her??
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone View Post
We are declining the Hep B, but we have no say in the eye goop or Vitamin K shot. Apparently if we were too social services would be called in and all.

I'm going to talk to the Doula about that, but that's the law in NY from what I've heard.
I was told that this is the law in VA as well....I was beginning to think that this was the only place that that was the case since I hadn't heard anyone else mention it!
Lizmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #18
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmarie View Post
I was told that this is the law in VA as well....I was beginning to think that this was the only place that that was the case since I hadn't heard anyone else mention it!
where did you hear that? i have had 5 births in VA and declined everything the last 3....and the last one (21 mo ago) was in a hospital. All I had to do was sign a waiver. No one said boo about social services and we even signed him out AMA
Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #19
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to refuse it because I swear the eye goop caused a clogged duct for months in DD's one eye. Of course the pedi stated that was not what it was from, but I'm convinced.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
niadara
Registered Users
seller

We didn't do any of the above for our kids. They were born in CA and CO were it is NOT mandatory, so up to you. We don't offer HepB until WAY later. We do opt for oral vitamin K, dutch protocol (one drop at birth and then one weekly til 6 weeks). No injections for a newbie unless medically warranted.

Btw, the only state that truly has eye goo and vitamin K mandatory is NY, HepB is NOWHERE mandatory ever. Check out the local mothering.com forums if a hospital gives you trouble. It's within your parental right to say no, unless you live in New York state (which is on our blacklist for their horrible parenting laws!).

Last edited by niadara; 03-05-2012 at 04:19 PM.
niadara is offline   Reply With Quote