Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about eye goop and hep B shot

I declined Hep B because if baby has a yeast allergy (very rare), the Hep B shot is deadly. That, combined with the fact that it's virtually impossible to get Hep B means that it's worth it for me to wait. DS2 got his Hep B shot at 9mo.

I would have declined Vit K and eye goop, but I honestly forgot about them. I had a homebirth transfer so it wasn't really on my radar until I saw that DS had the shiny gooey eyes

Advertisement

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalynaa View Post
I'm also allergic to erythromycin, so I'm worried that I will have to avoid contact with the baby. How would I BF her??
Your allergy should be enough to warrant the baby not getting the eye goo. If you are allergic there is a chance the baby will be too. Have your Dr. sign a paper proving your allergy.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #23
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

My mom said my reaction was serious enough to erythromycin that I had to go to the hospital (I don't remember), and I've always been so afraid of being exposed again that I'm paranoid about telling my docs. It's in every chart at every doctor's office I've ever gone! So hopefully I won't have any problem with documentation.

I think it's really weird that my state law specifically allows an objection to eye goop for religious reasons but not... oh, you know... an allergy to the medication that might mean I can't touch my baby! Maybe I'm reading it wrong, and it's just assumed that the doctor would not administer it in that case? I dunno. It worries me.

Last edited by magdalynaa; 03-05-2012 at 07:35 PM.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #24
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm refusing the eye ointment for this baby. We didn't think anything of all that with our daughters until YDD ended up with clogged tear ducts after birth. We went 6 months dealing with her eyes before having to get the surgery to open her tear ducts. The research I've done brought up some instances (not all the time) where the eye ointment can actually cause the baby's tear ducts to clog up which will often require surgery (which they won't do until at LEAST 6 months old). The ointment is specifically for preventing certain STD's from being passed to baby through the eyes. If you don't have gonorrhea or chlamydia, there's no reason whatsoever to get it. I know I don't have it so there's no reason to get it for baby and risk dealing with clogged tear ducts again. I've looked at the other things and decided to pick my battles. They're not really a big deal for us.
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #25
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
where did you hear that? i have had 5 births in VA and declined everything the last 3....and the last one (21 mo ago) was in a hospital. All I had to do was sign a waiver. No one said boo about social services and we even signed him out AMA

CJW Hospital in Chesterfield/Richmond area. We were told that during the Labor Basics class they put on as well as again on the tour of L&D. I don't really want to do any of them, but I've resigned myself to having to do the eye goop and Vitamin K as they stated it was required by law and we had no say in it. That it was considered child abuse if we did not and social services would be called immediately.
Lizmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #26
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmarie View Post
I don't really want to do any of them, but I've resigned myself to having to do the eye goop and Vitamin K as they stated it was required by law and we had no say in it. That it was considered child abuse if we did not and social services would be called immediately.
The CPS thing does bother me, but I was reading on another state's laws on this (Washington, I think), and the perspective they took was... while the provider may be obligated to report refusing eye goop to CPS if hospital policy considers it "child abuse," in the absence of any other evidence of child abuse and/or neglect, it would probably be considered an "information only" report.

I have to report a lot of crazy stuff to CPS for my job, and I've actually never had a case where CPS got an instanter order from a judge and removed a child from a parent's custody. I've reported waaaaaay worse stuff than refusal of eye goop, too! I can't imagine more coming from the refusal of eye goop than a call from CPS, but still, the very idea bugs me. I'm hoping my birth center delivery goes as planned so I don't have to deal with this.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #27
Lizmarie
Registered Users

I unfortunately don't have the option of a birth center, or even the option to chose my hospital or doctor due to my current insurance.... So, I will decline what I can and unfortunately have to deal with the rest.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #28
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For my 1st DD I did it all b/c I didn't know any better. My 3rd DD she did get the vit K shot but no Hep B. We waited for that. She also didn't get eye ointment but my colostrum instead. For this baby due in June there'll be no Hep B and we'll do colostrum again. Unsure on the vit K right now.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #29
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmarie View Post
CJW Hospital in Chesterfield/Richmond area. We were told that during the Labor Basics class they put on as well as again on the tour of L&D. I don't really want to do any of them, but I've resigned myself to having to do the eye goop and Vitamin K as they stated it was required by law and we had no say in it. That it was considered child abuse if we did not and social services would be called immediately.
There's no way that this is absolutely true! We declined in Charlottesville VA to get Vitamin K, antibiotics or Hep B and had no issues. (other than the nurses coming in about 3 times to try to talk us into Vitamin K.

Sounds like they are way exaggerating the consequences. It's not state law.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #30
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
There's no way that this is absolutely true! We declined in Charlottesville VA to get Vitamin K, antibiotics or Hep B and had no issues. (other than the nurses coming in about 3 times to try to talk us into Vitamin K.

Sounds like they are way exaggerating the consequences. It's not state law.
I wondered if that was the case, but I can't find anything on the state law other than religious exceptions....do you know of any literature on this?