Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #31
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:
Re: Question about eye goop and hep B shot

Just a little FYI - Hep B isn't given in Canada at birth. It is started at 2 months.

We fully vax on a super delayed schedule. My newbies always end up sick and I won't vax an already sick child.

We do the eye stuff and vit k but not hep B since it isn't offered at birth here anyway.

Advertisement

mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #32
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Re: Question about eye goop and hep B shot

I just had my 35wk appointment this afternoon, and questioned my OB about it. And while he said it's truly a question for my pediatrician rather than him, he said that if I was going to be selective about those three items (Hep B, eye goop, and vitamin K), he personally feels that the vitamin K is the most important and next the Hep B. He did however say that while he felt Hep B was important that it was an issue of "herd immunity" and such, and agreed with me that while it may be necessary, it's probably not necessary the first day of life. We both agreed that the eye goop probably isn't necessary at all, since he's personally tested me for STD's and there are no issues there. He does strongly recommend the vitamin K shot however.

I think that I'm kinda ok with the vitamin K shot, as all I can find on it is the supposed link to leukemia in children, but I keep reading that that was negated with later studies? I would like to skip the other two at this point though.

But, I just finished talking to DH and his feeling on things is that "if it's recommended by the hospital and in their policy, then there must be a necessity for it and we should have it done for the health of our baby". I commented that alot of things are hospital policy merely as a CYA for the hospital and not because it was necessary for patients health (ie. you aren't allowed to walk up to L&D if you come in after hours, you have to enter through ER doors because they are unlocked, but once they know you are there you are required to go by wheelchair....so that you don't fall and sue them). He felt that I was just trying to dissuade him.......

He does not think that Hep B is necessary for an infant, although he does want DS to have it in the future...which I can agree to. He says he feels that way because he doesn't see how Hep B is a concern with a newborn....but he thinks we should have the eye goop done (knowing that we've both been tested for STD's and there is no concern there)? I can't understand this, and when I tried to clarify he got frustrated.

Soooo, I'm back to ask you guys - the negatives to eye goop that I have seen are mostly based on issues with bonding and breastfeeding. Would delaying the eye goop serve the purpose to avoid those issues but still satisfy DH? I'm willing to argue it if necessary, and he's leaving the decision ultimately up to me on the eye goop, but I'd rather find a compromise if it's safe for DS. We will go ahead with the vitamin K because DH is dead set on it, and I see it's purpose in the case of a traumatic birth.......and honestly I have this fear that the hospital nurses are going to drop him and he'll have a brain hemorrhage and I won't have given him the vitamin K. I know it's irrational, but I don't think I could win the argument either way on that one. We will delay Hep B until a later date.
Lizmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #33
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We decline the hep b and eye antibiotic. My kids arent at high risk for these.

Dd had a precipitous birth in the L&D room bathroom... She got the vit k.

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect