Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

O/S 10 reasons not to circ, I need one more . . .

Sorry, this got long! Here's the back story:

DS is circed because we decided with the best knowledge we had at the time. I read the AAP book and they basically said it was a neutral decision. DH is circed and he felt it was important that they look the same. I believed in the anesthetic so I let it happen. (By the way, if the anesthetic worked, why would the babies be screaming when they bring them to you?! DS was so upset he wouldn't nurse. And he loved to nurse!)

I don't think I would have gone along with it if it was only an aesthetic reason, but DH is a dr and he has had experience working with elderly memory loss patients and DH said it was so awful for those men, who can no longer care for themselves, to get the infections that they got.

Our thinking was: we can care for DS's body now, we can teach him to care for his own body, but when he gets old and infirm and unable to care for himself it will be better for him to not have to deal with any infections.

I posted this somewhere on here in a circ poll or something, and someone answered with a comment that at least he would have had 70 plus years being intact. It had never occurred to me that it might actually be BETTER to be intact even if it was potentially an issue later on. I had always thought it was neutral.

So here are my questions:

Do older men who are unable to care for themselves get really bad infections?

Is it something that is potentially harmful for them, or it is just unpleasant for the caretakers?

I have never seen answers (like, backed up with statistics) about this particular topic on anti-circ sites.

I feel convinced by everything else, the look, the pleasure, the pain, the cleaning, etc., but I need to build my case against this happening again!

Thanks so much for any advice you have!

Advertisement

Zoethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am unsure but who is to say your son will ever need that kind of care? Plenty of people live until ripe old age on their own without any assistance and then just pass away. Plenty of people die in their twenties, or thirties or fifties. Plenty of women are in old age homes and get infections too. It is just such a weird reason for justifying circ to me because there is no guarantee your kids would ever be in that position. I don't have any elderly family in nursing homes at all and never have. All my great grandparents and my 2 grandfathers have passed away while living it home.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: O/S 10 reasons not to circ, I need one more . . .

I pretty much feel the same way as umphrey'smommy. Who knows that your son would ever need that? And I'm sure that not EVERY intact man has those problems in their old age? There are so many more things to worry about in their lives before that might ever become a problem ..
Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
If men in nursing homes (and women) are getting genital infections then they are not being cleaned properly and are being neglected. It doesnt have to be that way.

Plus its your sons choice to be circed or not. He may decide to at 20 to get it done.

To many unknowns to make a decision about his penis now because he might end up needing care at 80 years old. Not to mention we do have antibiotics and antifungals to combat a problem if it is directly from neglect. Nurses should be cleaning penis (intact or not) and vaginas properly if the patient cant do it on their own.

Over 70 percent of the worlds men are intact. I just dont see it as a major reason to circ because you are worried about an elederly mans penis getting an infection.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
kushie tushie
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I agree with the others. I don't understand the preventive circ. The chance if your scenario are pretty small. Unfortunately Americans don't know to care for the intact penis. So WHEN elderly men need someone else to care for them they don't know how to clean it. Their not getting infected b/c of the foreskin. Their getting infected b/c their caregivers don't know how to clean them.

I guess my point it why would you damage the organ for something that may or may not happen 70 plus years down the road.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
kushie tushie
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
If men in nursing homes (and women) are getting genital infections then they are not being cleaned properly and are being neglected. It doesnt have to be that way.

Plus its your sons choice to be circed or not. He may decide to at 20 to get it done.

To many unknowns to make a decision about his penis now because he might end up needing care at 80 years old. Not to mention we do have antibiotics and antifungals to combat a problem if it is directly from neglect. Nurses should be cleaning penis (intact or not) and vaginas properly if the patient cant do it on their own.

Over 70 percent of the worlds men are intact. I just dont see it as a major reason to circ because you are worried about an elederly mans penis getting an infection.
Great minds think alike . You posted while I was typing.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! I see your point. I guess I was only seeing it from my DH's point of view, which I will have to refresh my memory on if we have another boy. I just wanted to be prepared!
Zoethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
MommyKeller0107
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, after taking care of hospice patients, I would MUCH RATHER clean an intact man than go through the ridiculous folds that a woman has. It isn't hard at all to get a man clean, but a woman (Especially one who is overweight) is RIDICULOUS. (Breast Folds, Labial Folds, Stomach Folds, "Fat Pad" folds, etc etc. - Yeast creams, antifungals, powders, whatnot go in all of those areas if something arises. It's a long process, but it is not difficult, just takes proper tending to! They deserve the time and the care, for sure!)

If an elderly patient is not getting properly taken care of in a long term facility, it is the workers who need removal... not the patient's body parts.

L0Ri K

MAMA T0 KADE (1/07)
LEVi (09/10)!

:: & RUBY ♥ ::

Last edited by MommyKeller0107; 03-02-2012 at 12:53 PM.
MommyKeller0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKeller0107 View Post
Honestly, after taking care of hospice patients, I would MUCH RATHER clean an intact man than go through the ridiculous folds that a woman has. It isn't hard at all to get a man clean, but a woman (Especially one who is overweight) is RIDICULOUS. (Breast Folds, Labial Folds, Stomach Folds, "Fat Pad" folds, etc etc. - Yeast creams, antifungals, powders, whatnot go in all of those areas if something arises. It's a long process, but it is not difficult, just takes proper tending to! They deserve the time and the care, for sure!)

If an elderly patient is not getting properly taken care of in a long term facility, it is the workers who need removal... not the patient's body parts.
expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKeller0107 View Post

If an elderly patient is not getting properly taken care of in a long term facility, it is the workers who need removal... not the patient's body parts
YES!! You said it perfectly.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote