Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't smell like maple yet?!?!?!

This is the start of my third day on Fgreek and I don't smell like maple?!?! Am I not taking enough?!!? I'm taking 3 x 3/per a day! Should I take more????
This is what's going on! I started supplementing one bottle a day for DS...at night so that DH could feed him and I could sleep! I did not have enough milk at the time to pump an extra bottle. But then we had to move and we had DH's brother with us.. I start supplementing a lot more! To the pt where DS was only getting 2-3 nursing sessions and was FF the rest of the time! I regret this now...of course...and I'm trying to get my supply back up! I only started doing this about 3 days ago! And since we are doing ok! He only took 12 ozs of formula instead of 24 ozs he used to eat! YAY! But a lot of the nursing sessions I still have to supplement some...around 2 ozs. It used to be 3ozs...so it's a bit better!
He's eating every 1.5-2hrs. I have am electic pump coming that should be here today. I hope that will help! Is there anything else I can do! I've read kellymom.com front to back!
How long do you think it will take to wean him totally of formula???
Thanks for the help guys!!

Advertisement

png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:
Re: I don't smell like maple yet?!?!?!

Try to tincture! it seems to be more effective & no maple smell, LOL.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
camperjen
Registered Users
seller

I found it took up to four days for the Fenugreek to work. It wasn't right away.

My opinion - when you get *really close* to your goal (it seems you might be there already), you should do a "nurse in" where you drop the bottles and formula 100% and go to nothing but breast. Baby might be a little hungry for a day or so, but your breasts should adjust RIGHT OFF to the higher demand - I was told it would be within 24 hours.

I had problems early on like you are - and then I found that I had undiagnosed thrush for nearly 6 weeks... then it took nearly 6 weeks to get rid of it. GRRR - it was so horrible! So by the time I was trying to get DS 100% on the breast, he was 3 months old. I regret that it never worked - my supply was established too much and my son was too used to bottles to make the switch easily.

What might have worked? Nurse in. I regret that I never did it or tried.

If you need help, don't hesitate to call an LLL leader or a Lac consultant. I was afraid to spend the money ($50 per half hour visit ) so I didn't do it... I regret that too.

My son ended up self-weaning at 8 months. By then it was too late to fix it all.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ditto, it wasnt right away.. It took me like 4-5 days also.. You can also increase the amount too, I was taking 4 pills 3 times a day before I stopped.. It did work a little bit but I found reglan to work much better, even though that will didnt help get my supply where I needed it..

good luck!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

What is the mg of each capsule? When I first tried fenugreek I was taking 3-650 mg tablets 3x/day and found out that it should have been 3-910mg 3x/day. I would try a nurse-in like a pp said, they really do help out and with you being so close to your goal a few days of constant "booby time" (thats what we call nursing) may put you over the top. Hope it all works out. Also, I don't know if this has ever been discussed on this board but for some women with a prolactin definency Domperidone can be very helpful and it doesn't have the adverse side effects of reglan. But check with your dr before starting it, he may be able to do a test to see if you are prolactin defincent.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

I agree with using the tincture, it is *much* more potent than the capsules. Also, drink the tea daily, if you like it/can stand it. (i HATE fenugreek)

BUJT, the Best way I know of to increase supply is to just NURSE.
Seriously, like some PP's have said...just STOP with the formula.
Supply/Demand, for about 95% of the population, WORKS!

Your breasts will adjust, and yes babe might have a hungry day or two, but will be fine.

On a related note...it will take at least 2 weeks of getting just breastmilk for your babe's stomach to change and return to the proper flora and ph that a baby should have. You will likely notice a change in stools and/or the frequency/duration of feedings when this happens. Do not be alarmed. Baby stomachs were not meant to digest milk from any other mammal, and they change to try to accomodate when they are fed unnatural food. Once your babes stomach turns back, changes are expected and will ultimately be for the better!!
Good luck!
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #7
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nurse-in huh.....it sounds like it would be an absolutly horrible day!!! heheheh You gotta do what you gotta do, I guess!
I'll be perfectly honest...I would rather give up and do formula! It has been VERY difficult trying to nurse with my 16 mth old running around and getting into trouble!
I might have to wait until the weekend to start the nurse-in so that my DH is home to take care of DS!
Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:42 AM   #8
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the nurse-in idea! It's the only way I got from full time pumping back to EBF! The mothers milk tea also worked really great. Fgreek was ok, it worked but I hated smelling (hubby says I even tasted like) maple syrup. Just for encouragement the day after the nurse-in was the first day I felt engorged since the milk came in so it really only took about a day for my body to adjust...and then my cups seriously ran over . This time I'm going to try not to touch the bottle at all if I can avoid it.

Blessings,
Deidre
deejahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Deidre, how much of the tea did you drink?? I have a box of it and it says 3-5 cups a day! That's a TON of tea!! I like the taste of it....BUT goodness!
I guess I will start drinking that too!!
Thanks SO much ladies!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree that if there's any way possible, a nurse-in will probably work wonders for you. I know it's hard with an older toddler but if dh or Grandma or someone can help out, you and the baby snuggle up in the bed and let him nurse just as much as he will! It should take a day or two for your body to catch up completely.

You said that right now you supplement a couple of ounces at most feedings. At what point do you supplement? I mean, do you nurse on one side till he's done, then the other side, then give the bottle? Try switching back to the first side again and maybe doing breast compressions to get the milk flowing a little better for him. Another advantage to that is that he'll get more of the thicker hindmilk which will fill him up more. After nursing on both sides a couple of times, if he's still really starving, give him a bottle, but if he's content, try letting him go. You said he nurses every 1.5-2 hours...so maybe he wants to nurse again in 1-1.5 hours instead, but again, he'll get more of the fatty hindmilk from that next feeding which will be more filling and your body will get the message that it needs to step things up a notch. It still makes for a rough couple of days for you, but it should only take a day or two for your body to catch on. Right now, when you give a bottle, your body doesn't know that it's not making enough.

The first time I used Fenugreek, I saw a notieceable difference in my supply within 24 hours. After that when I used it, the difference was less dramatic and usually took a couple of days to show up. Make sure you're drinking TONS of water and staying as relaxed as possible (yeah right! ) Also, I'm sure you've looked at the lists of things to do to increase your supply till you're crosseyed but have you checked out the lists of things that are supposed to help with oversupply? Just to make sure you're avoiding those things?

Good luck!!!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote