Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #21
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Huggies ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlligatorAnne View Post
I didnt think the commercial was implying that you should leave diapers on for long periods of time. I think it was advertising itself as an absorbant diaper. I'm sure there are negligent parents who leave their kids in filthy diapers, but most parents are smarter than that.
You would be surprised...I have two separate friends who "get all I can get out of these diapers" (and her and her husband make 6 figures) and another who can't figure out why her kid leaks after less than 12 hours...and these are not "negligent" parents. They're not dumb either.

Advertisement

and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #22
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i don't know, most of the people i know that use sposies(which is everyone, i have no cloth friends IRL) let them go for as long as they can between changes, i have even heard them talk about how awesome it is that they last for 12 hours, or "it says on the comercial they can last for 12 hours so i'm doing good by changing every 6 or 7"

i actually think that doctors should talk about "diaper health" at the hospital and in the drs office, people just don't know how often to change their babies. a dry diaper isn't a clean diaper!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
RealMommyLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in the process of switching my 21 month old son and my 1 month old daughter to cloth. I have wanted to cloth diaper since before my son was born, but my husband would never let me invest the money and just said that I would never stick to it and he wasn't wasting money on it. Well now that we have 2 kids to diaper, he's allowing me to try it. I explained to him how it would pay for itself in 2 months.

With the diaper commercial, I have to say it's pretty accurate. I know my husband, both of his brothers, his dad, and most every guy I know, wont change diapers unless they are asked too, or they are so full they are about to explode. My husband just started changing our son after DD was born. Good thing I'm a SAHM! So yes there absolutely is some truth to that, but I never caught on that, that was the message they were sending until just now. Huggies have always been my brand of choice, but I did always get annoyed at there advertising about them donating diapers to families who are too poor to afford them. Since I have always been pro cloth, I would always say to myself, "if you can't afford them, then use cloth diapers!" It's like people of the world today forgot that it's even still an option. With 2 kids in diapers and with the cost of wipes, we spend $185.00 a month because I like to change my children often. My budget for diapers for both is $500 with accessories. I already have 20 prefolds each for them and 8 covers now. I just bought 6 small BG on here for DD and am so excited to get them. I have been using the prefolds here and there, but not having a diaper sprayer, pail liners, wet bags, snappi's (lost both of mine), or the proper detergent, is making the whole process difficult. So I am going to wait now until I have everything I need before I start, which will be by the end of this month! So excited
RealMommyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
AlligatorAnne
Registered Users
seller

Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
You would be surprised...I have two separate friends who "get all I can get out of these diapers" (and her and her husband make 6 figures) and another who can't figure out why her kid leaks after less than 12 hours...and these are not "negligent" parents. They're not dumb either.
AlligatorAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlligatorAnne View Post
Gross
Yeah, I was so stunned when they said those things I couldn't even reply...
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #26
SeeOurtney
Registered Users
seller

I just saw the pampers commercial, and the way they word it definitely implies that you can leave baby in a diaper for up to 12hrs during the day. So gross, and though common sense says they should be changed WAY more often than that, there are so many people that will take the commercials practically for gospel. Aside from all the other reasons sposies are gross (pretty sure the diaper shouldn't stink *before* you put it on baby's bum..SMH), the marketing campaigns of the companies just takes the cake.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #27
Honeybee1999
Registered Users

Wow...when I used sposies, I changed my baby every 2-3 hours (or after every poop, whichever was soonest). Had no idea not everyone did that. My whole family changed diapers often, too. I feel bad for kids whose parents don't change until the diaper is about to burst. That's just nasty.
Honeybee1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #28
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaRN View Post
Anyone else not like the fact that there's a Huggies ad at the top of this page? I also really dislike that Huggies commercial about all the dads watching a football game with thier children and how they don't have to change thier babies because the diapers won't leak. Just a pet peeve I guess...Maybe I'm reading too much into it, lol.
It bugs me!! Sposie ads on this site bug me period. I don't like any commercials that portray men as mindless idiots. Too many commercials do this. My DH is great about changing dipes. My Mom doesn't change DD often enough (for my liking) when she watches her and last time we picked her up, DH told my Mom "I just learned with cloth to change every two hours." I was so proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren420 View Post
Ok, so babies should NEVER sit in a wet diaper for 12 hours at a time during the DAY, but what about overnight?

My DD sleeps from 7pm-7am and there is NO way I am waking her to change her butt!! Is it Ok then? We use pampers babydry at night (I LOATHE nightime CD'ing, imo, making a baby sit in a cold, wet, gigantic diaper at night is not ok..) The Pampers babydry are the only diaper I have seen that actually feel DRY in the morning, and not cold and wet...
I don't think it's wrong to let a baby sleep in a diaper overnight. If they're sleeping then they're comfortable enough. My DD's nighttime diapers aren't gigantic or cold though. She wears a fitted with wool over it and the diaper is the same temp as her skin when she wakes up. Kind of like when you get out of bed for something and the bed is still warm from your body heat when you get back in. To each her own with nighttime diapering, but you're the first one I've read of who has cold cloth diapers. I don't think that's the norm.
-----------------------------------------------

I have a friend who also tried to get as much use as possible out of sposies. She is extremely frugal and hates wasting a cent on ANYTHING if she doesn't have to. She changed diapers 3 times a day once her kids were 10 months +. Diaper companies are absolutely trying to sell parents on how long each diaper can last. Obviously they want to sell as many diapers as possible, but now that many are tightening the purse strings, every company is vying to be the most absorbent, longest lasting diaper. If they were truly trying to say the diapers lasted up to 12 hours overnight, then they would show a baby SLEEPING and say "overnight". Believe me, advertising is intentional. They don't overlook anything.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #29
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

Being unbiased here.....advertising is not necessarily the viewpoint of the site or affiliate. They generate income to keep the site free. We also have a rather decent size sposies audience as well dot here company/site is not off base. If I had deep pockets, I'd advertise too. The asked lasted literally 15 min for 10. I can't imagine how much they paid, but we reap the benefits.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #30
MaMaJodiapers
Registered Users

My Mood:

I hate that commercial too but what really really irks me is the huggies add here! it really bothers me to the point that i wanted to take down m own advertising - but I prepaid for 6 months. It leaves me to feel that diaperswappers is not very critical as to what they put up here. We are a cloth diapering site!! Why in the world would you push sposies?