Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sewing Machine Shopping...

Is there an obvious best deal for a new sewing machine? Kind of like all the 1034d serger raves? I don't have any desire for embroidery, and will probably move towards quilting after I don't have as much kid sewing to keep me busy. I would like a machine that can easily sew through many layers (turn and topstitch) with a nice variety of stitch options. I would like it to have an automatic needle up/down feature and drop in bobbin loading. The speed control sliders seem like a nice feature.

I'm looking at the Brother CS6000i for $151

and my local dealer has the Janome DC2012 for $499. I did find the 2010 model on ebay for $399, my dealer said that line is all the exact same machine just in different colors.

Obviously the less $$ the better but I do want to get a nice strong machine that I won't have to replace soon.

Any suggestions?
(I haven't had much luck finding an all metal vintage machine around here... the dealer said they typically are held onto or snatched up pretty quickly if they haven't been worn out.)

Advertisement

misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, $150 with all those features sounds almost too good to be true! I wonder how long they last, because that is a great deal.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sewing Machine Shopping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbie View Post

Wow, $150 with all those features sounds almost too good to be true! I wonder how long they last, because that is a great deal.
Yeah I know, that's what I was thinking. It has really decent reviews on Amazon... but I don't know how many of those people sew through thick diaper layers. Even if it would last for a few years until I can save for a more beefy machine that would be ok.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
ChckLiz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

This is the one I bought and I LOVE it so far! The only thing it has balked at was turning a prefold into a fitted.. once I got to the middle of the diaper it wouldn't even sew. But that's okay since I'm learning to make my own diapers now

I had a Singer Simple before and it wasn't worth the money in my opinion, but it was a good machine to learn the basics on.

I definitely recommend the Heavy Duty.. so far it's been a great machine!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

If there is ANY way that you can get a Pfaff, do it! I got a model called "Jeans and Satin" and it is amazing - and having a walking foot is a must with several layers of fabric and any kind of stretchy fabric. Mine doesn't do anything fancy, but it has lasted 15 years so far (with maintainance every 2-3 years and heavy use) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Honestly, Pfaff is one amazing machine.
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

after doing a search for the brother machine on here, I see such mixed reviews! I really dislike these kinds of decisions.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira

Yeah I know, that's what I was thinking. It has really decent reviews on Amazon... but I don't know how many of those people sew through thick diaper layers. Even if it would last for a few years until I can save for a more beefy machine that would be ok.
I've had the cs6000 since may 2005 and it's still running great! I like that it has better features over my janome.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
zootzmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am no help because I love my vintage Singers! I had just one and looked forever for another just to have a backup at the ready!! I don't think I will ever go back to a new machine again!
zootzmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

This singer at costco is ugly as sin but it sure looks sturdy!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would only buy vintage Singers, no new ones. I've heard a lot of bad things about that particular brother model. not sure about the Janome. I would sign up for a free acct and read reviews on patternreview.com they have tons of sewing machine reviews.