Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
My Mood:
Re: Sewing Machine Shopping...

Originally Posted by misskira View Post
This singer at costco is ugly as sin but it sure looks sturdy!
Never ever buy a new Singer! Only a vintage one!!!!! Take your layers to a sewing shop and test drive the Janome, viking, juki(if they have one),Bernina and Pfaff before you commit. I have heard mixed reviews on the Brothers for layer sewing. I have a Bernina and vintage Singer and Viking. I LOVE the vintage machines for sewing through layers. I have never had an issue! The Bernina (any of them) should also have no issues with layers.

Kim(45) ,mam toM,23M, 20K,11and A,4 and Oma (grandma) to T and B born 3/20/11
gogokim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Banned - User Requested
My Mood:

Lol, I won't buy the singer. I do have a vintage one that I need to have serviced before I try it out. It's ooooold. One of the curvy black metal ones that come in a pretty curvy cabinet. It has all kinds of feet in boxes with it. I really should get it serviced and set it up for basic straight stitching.

I really want the Janome, I'm going to have to figure out how to save up for it I think.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
Registered Users

i agree with the others on here - spend the money on a mechanical bernina, viking, or pfaff and it will last your lifetime. i don't know much about janome as far as long term durability. you could keep your eye out for a gently used one too.
Mommy to little M
LittleLady8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:
One thing I learned while shopping and reading reviews is you get what you pay for normally. If you want a cheaper machine you have to be prepared for it to break down or have some problems down three road. Not everyone has problems with the lower end models but it seems to be rather common from what I've read. They have cheaper parts and are not built to last a life time like all machines used to be.

Personally, I got a Viking 116 and love it and will be shocked if it breaks on me but it was also 350 and very basic. Gl with your choice!
Married since 08
Became parents 6.13.12
And again 3.24.14
pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote