Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone started plants for the garden indoors yet?

I've planted

tomatoes
lettuce
cucumbers (but I'm betting that was a mistake they're leggy.
basil (2 kinds)
parsley
chives
cantaloupe
watermelon
early sweet corn
spinach
california peppers

My spinach has been in there for 2wks and hasn't sprouted? I direct planted new zeland spinach (not a true spinach) last year and I don't recall it taking this long....

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't wanna high jack your thread but how long before your season starts should you start your seeds? i don't think ill get to plant till around the end of may...
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #13
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That link I gave before, has that info for each type of plant. Some are best started indoort for transplant and some have to be direct sewn. There is a page, poss the one I linked after you put in the zip, that will have a pic and tab for each type of plant. Some neew it colder and some not cold. Many do ok in the 50's and ton's do better in the 70's. Each plant is diff, confusing. I have to keep going back and refurring to that info, just wanna do better this year! Ask all the questions you need help with hun! We're all here to help eachother! That link also has floral, herb, vegg, and fruit! Sooo much great info. I never knew you didn't wash first and that potatoes shouldn't be put in the fridge.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #14
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
My spinach has been in there for 2wks and hasn't sprouted? I direct planted new zeland spinach (not a true spinach) last year and I don't recall it taking this long....
We found spinach to be difficult to germinate. We planted four types each four times last fall. Only our second crop came up in a timely manner (three weeks). The first came up 1.5 months later. The fourth came up three months later... Our third got ripped up (before we caught on to the late germination) to plant the fourth.

Someone suggested putting them in the fridge or freezer for two weeks before planting because it needs pretty cold weather to germinate? Our spinach season is done here (80 degree highs)
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #15
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have a small greenhouse on the roof of our garage, so we are fortunate to have a place to store plants and start things indoors in the winter. We have been growing spinach and mixed greens all winter, although they don't do as nicely as they do outside in the summer. This week and next we are starting a few things. We cannot plant until May 24-ish here, so I cannot get too excited.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

dp

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 03-05-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just got back from the Menonite nursery! Yay!!

Got 60 peat pots at .15 cents each.
They had seed starter trays out fron for free! Got a ton of those.
Manure/compost mix
potting soil to mix together.
cpl pounds of sweet red onion sets
cpl pounds of red onion sets
4 oz bag of okra seeds
1/4 oz bag of iceburg lettuce seeds
2 1/8 oz bag jalapeno seeds
1 oz spinich seeds
2 1/32 oz bags of bright yellow sweet bell pepers-Golden California Wonder

And.....1 huge bag of a new green bean they just got in called Jade beans, bush bean. These are supposed to be a minimal string, long fat beans, and easy to snap.
I really wanted climbing beans, but just noticed these were bush. Oh well, I'll try to get them to clinm some.

Any experience with making a bush climb?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh forgot. Will be getting the seed potatoes first week of April! Reds and Golds!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's already been in the 80's here a couple of times...I don't have a place to start indoors so everything is going in the ground. The broccoli and cabbage is doing well. The lettuce is just comming up and the peas are just so cute..i love the little trailing tops. Red and gold pototoes have broken through the soil, and a few tomoto plants went in the ground yesterday(i may have end up needing to cover these..if we get another light frost..) 5 rows of corn planted today. I ordered a TOn of heirloom seeds a few minutes ago..can't wait until everything can go in the ground!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #20
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had heavy snow flurries yesterday? What is up?