Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby allergic to hypoallergenic formula?

We were lucky and nutramigen worked for us, he drank that until he was 2. Then we switched to Rice Dream enriched original rice milk, other brands usually have some soy milk or soy lectin in them. He still had a rash on his cheeks untill about a year, but it was better than it could have been.

When he had the big reaction we called 911 and they gave him 2 epis and whole bunch of steroids. After that we always kept benadryl in the house. I was a complete control freak about the food he ate. My brother let him taste whipped cream once because he thought it was, "no big deal" and I flipped out on him. People don't understand and most of the time they just don't believe you.

Advertisement

Last edited by gingerpeachee; 03-04-2012 at 11:48 AM.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
LilyOlivesMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd find a new ped, one who's familiar with allergies. Sorry you're going thru this, DS had breathing problems (ALTE x 2) and we spent at week at the hospital with a zillion tests before we had answers(reflux). Good luck
LilyOlivesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by Beth.; 12-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Beth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
pcjs
Registered Users

We didn't wait weeks, we switched a bunch of times very quickly till we found the right formula. I'd switch formulas and buy a bunch and hope one works. And, talk to a pediatric GI.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

do gi issues cause seroius rashes? thats the symptom that sticks out to me as allergy!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by Beth.; 12-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Beth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
Meag1023
Registered Users

So sorry you're having such a nightmare, you should see improvement after a few days even if it's minor, if you don't then I would say that formula isn't working. Def need to see an allergist not a pediatrician (they are usually clueless to allergies). Have you tried goats milk? I know several people who've tried goats milk with allergy babies and they were able to tolerate it. My son has dairy and soy allergies and I tried goats milk while visiting my family and he did pretty good, but where I live it's hard to find or order so we don't use it.
Meag1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #18
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

So sorry you are going through this. I'd be furious with the peds and doctors if they were just brushing me off like that. I had a doctor that did that when I was trying to find out my allergies, only mine aren't severe and I had to call into an allergy clinic on my own because she wouldn't refer me. According to her testing was pointless. It helped me a ton.

I'd definitely switch to a different formula asap, like elecare or nutramigen. I'm not sure which though. With DS we never talked to the ped before switching and I didn't wait very long to see if he would eventually tolerate the one we did switch to. He literally only did well on Similac Sensitive.

I'm with the other moms, switch peds, demand to be seen, do what you have to to get someone to listen to you and help to figure out the situation.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #19
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mamas. We actually tried allumentium a few weeks ago-the RTF and for two days she was a different baby. She actually fell asleep on her own and didn't wheeze at all. But then we decided to get the powdered allumentuim since the bottles are expensive. Well she went right back to her miserable self again.
Now I'm wondering if on top of a definitely soy allergy, and sensitivity/allergy to milk that she may have an issue with corn. The Allumentium RTF is the only formula without corn! We're giving it a go with the RTF again right now just to see if it makes a difference. IF this doesn't work, there is a goat dairy farm about 20 minutes away that i may look into!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

With the Neocate, are you nursing & giving Neocate or only Neocate. It can take 3 weeks to get something out of your system so I'd try only Neocate & give it a bit longer.

I have been unhappy with CHOP (the rheumatology dept is okay, endocrinology really stinks, the ER is okay) but if you can get there Mt Sinai in NYC has a pedi allergy dept that is said to be the best in the country. I have been there with my middle dd & was very happy with the drs & care we received.

I can very much relate. My 26 month old is still on Neocate only, no food. It's so hard to figure out what is a problem, what's okay & where it's coming from. We found that my little guy can't have food & needs 100% cotton clothing. The doctor's think it's a combo allergy/GI issue since sometimes he gets rashy & red but other times, he just throws up a lot.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote