Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Baby allergic to hypoallergenic formula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by litllegreekmama View Post
Thanks mamas. We actually tried allumentium a few weeks ago-the RTF and for two days she was a different baby. She actually fell asleep on her own and didn't wheeze at all. But then we decided to get the powdered allumentuim since the bottles are expensive. Well she went right back to her miserable self again.
Now I'm wondering if on top of a definitely soy allergy, and sensitivity/allergy to milk that she may have an issue with corn. The Allumentium RTF is the only formula without corn! We're giving it a go with the RTF again right now just to see if it makes a difference. IF this doesn't work, there is a goat dairy farm about 20 minutes away that i may look into!
Glad to hear that the RTF Allimentum is working! I hope that it stays that way. Would your insurance cover it with prescription? Sometimes an insurance will cover specialized formula like that. Otherwise, it's worth the cost if the baby is happy.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Oh mama I can relate. My ds was like this. He reacted to everything. Everything includes breast milk, breast milk only eating turkey, rice & pears, all milk-based formulas including the hypoallergenics & organics, soy-based formula, goat's milk, homemade bone broth-based formula and Neocate. Sometimes I look back and barely believe we survived all that.

At 4 months, we moved him to Elecare formula. As a pp mentioned (think it was Beth), not all babies will tolerate all the elementals. But statistics show that that around 98% of babies will tolerate one of them. My ds still had some mild issues with Elecare but things improved GREATLY. Elecare has much less soy oil than Neocate Infant and I think that is why he was reacting to the Neocate. Once, my ds was over a year, he was changed to Neocate Junior which has no soy oil and he was very good from then on.

My ds did have gut & skin problems. Lots of congestion also. Our doc also went straight to reflux meds even though I kept telling her this was NOT reflux (already had one of those babies too ). Our doc meant well and she told me once with tears in her eyes that she would do anything in the world to help us but she didn't know what else to do. No one did. My ds went through tons of allergy testing, GI test (upper/lower scopes), metabolic testing, and random blood work looking for any indication of what was going on. The lower scope showed his colon was full of ulcers which explained why he always had blood in his stool. Have they checked that yet for your baby?

I read your update that the Alimentum RTF is working and that is awesome! My baby who is now almost 1 had to be on that until 6 mos and could not tolerate the powder either.

Our insurance never covered any formula for us but a happy, thriving baby was worth every penny.

If you have any questions or just need encouragement, send me a pm!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #23
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! We've been on the RTF for a week now...she seems a little bit better. Not much but perhaps some improvement. Of course she has a cold, her brother gave her so that doesn't help things! But i THINK her nostrils are a bit less swolen...i can actually see up there a bit, even with with cold. We bought an infant to toddler rocker yesterday, and she slept in it better than she does in anything else for the night. MUCH easier to get her back to sleep when she stirs. DH, the fabulous guy he is, just slept on the floor next to her and when she stirred he rocked her a bit and she went back to sleep. i got a fairly decent nights sleep..except for DS waking up flipping out about goodness knows what!
In a crazy nutz moment i ordered colic calm from amazon-it's expensive and i don't expect it to help..but hey it's got a money back guarantee on it. and if i could somehow avoid lots of testing I'd be happy to spend it!
It's SO good to hear another mama who's put their kids through the ring of tests and heard "we don't know". It SUCKS. it makes you flippin NUTZ. At least it did me. I feel so crappy for how angry i got at DS, DH and the world. It made me such a pessimist to have a miserable firstborn, and when DD started screaming like this i seriously thought being in a mental hospital would be better for us all!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #24
wendow
Registered Users
seller

I just have to clarify in case my post was confusing cause I typed it out super fast that it is my older ds (almost 3 1/2) who had all the really bad allergies/intolerance to everything. My ds2 (almost 1) was on Alimentum RTF until 6mos and then moved to Good Start with great results.

We did a lot of sleeping in the bouncy seat for ours too. Between being able to bounce or turn the vibrate on, those things are just fabulous. I always kept it right beside me whether I slept on the floor beside the baby or had the bouncy seat in the bed and dh slept on the floor or couch. That was the only way we survived some awful nights along the way
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #25
JennyAnneC
Registered Users

Def go see a pediatric allergist! DS2 had mspi and we also worked with a pediatric dietician to help with his weight issues. Be persistent, you will get some answers. I found that walmart had the best price on allimentum etd.
JennyAnneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #26
Mumaluvnz
Registered Users

Oh i feel for you. My we boy has been fine on Neocate but i no someone who had to go to rice milk. They also had to put the baby on vitamins and solid food home made vegies only so carrot etc. Baby changed within hours.
Mumaluvnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #27
even_in_death
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS has a corn allergy and has to have the allumentium RTF.It took about a month to see everything clear up.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #28
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh Mama . I feel for you. I have gone through and am going through the exact same thing. My DS is now 7 months old. He was always an extremely fussy and gassy and barry nb. We found out he was allergic to milk protien when he was 6 weeks old and ended up in the intensive care unit for 4 days. It has been a very long sleepless mentally grueling 7 months. He has bad eczema, weeping, swollen lymph nodes, and reflux due to this. I had just posted on the introducing solids thread because he does not seem to be able to tolerate solids well. I feel completely defeated at this point.

I have not read this entire thread but will as soon as I have a chance. I just wanted to reach out and let you know that you are not alone. I hope things are getting better for you.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #29
moteq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS is also an FPIES kid, and has been on Elecare since 2 months old. Just want to give you my support too!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #30
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
We are struggling here. DS3 has been on Similac (at the hospital), Prosobee, Nutramigen, Autimentum RTF, Isomil (all types) and he spits up tons all the time and he weighs 10 lbs 9 oz after being 8 lbs 15oz at birth in November. He has had allergy tests, an Upper GI with swallow study & tons of blood tests. Yesterday the peds put him on Similac with the rice added. OMG, he was miserable. Blotches all over, tons of curdled spit up to the point of it coming out of his nose & him choking and mealy mucusy slimy poop. Honestly I don't know what to do for him. I am waiting for the peds GI to call for the appointment. I just don't know how to help him. He cries all the time unles I hold him. I feel like a failure.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote