Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:42 AM   #11
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: A ? for mamas with intact sons

Firethorn, Where oh where did you get that awful advice. You should never ever ever retract a baby's foreskin. NEVER!!!!!!!!!! Retracting a foreskin causes permanent damage. It will cause the infections you think you are trying to cure. A baby's foreskin is fused to the glans of the penis like your finger nail is fused to your nailbed. If you pull it back it will tear and hurt very badly. Would you want me to pull your fingernail back? That "icky sticky white stuff" is smegma, it is supposed to be there. It is as natural as a woman's vaginal secretions (and really pretty much the same thing). It will not cause infection, it prevents it. What the OP's child probably has is a bit of irritation, maybe from her pulling back to use the fungacide, but probably just from the diaper rubbing against the skin. This is totally normal. The reason so many children have had trouble with infections when left intact is because of this kind of advice. It causes tears in the skin that allows infections to get in. Then the child winds up needing circ'd and everyone can stand back and say "see you should have just circumcised to begin with. I told you that foreskins were trouble." Let me say it one last time

NEVER RETRACT A BABY'S FORESKIN

Public service announcement closed.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #12
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firethorn
I hope this gets to you timely. Sorry for not answering sooner, I just figured with all the posts that you had gotten a good answer.

The problem is stupid DR's. (unknowledgable DR's) There is a misconception that you leave it (the foreskin) alone. NO!!!!!!! It should have been done at birth, but you can do it now. It does hurt especially with it being infected. You can do this your self and it is probably best you do.

What has happened: The foreskin over the head causes a pocket down where you cant see it. It fills with bacteria. It stinks and is white, thick and sticks to the skin. (Think about a girl and what can accumulate in the folds of her pubis if she is not cleaned properly. It is the same for an in tact boy, but his has been there for may months.)

What to do: Pull back the foreskin, take a wash cloth and scrub away the build up. Then smear a good portion of triple anti biotic ointment all over the head and foreskin. This helps with the infection and to keep the forsaking mobile. This way each time you change a diaper you pull back and clean.

After the redness goes away (this will take a couple days) you can stop putting on the ointment. But always pull back when you change a diaper.

[I tried to tell my sister this when her son went through the same thing. She would not do it because the "DR" said it was to be left alone. He ended up (age 15 mon.) haveing day surgery to remove the foreskin and a series of antibiotics to heal the horrid infection. ]

I know because WE were taught by a DR with our first son. The Dr worked with a lot of Indian families who do not circumcise. MY DH was not (he is native american) so I did not want our sons done. With my second son we had moved and the new Dr said don't touch it. We ended up calling first DR when DS #2 got infected. This is what he said to do. It worked but I needed a lot of tissue and a hug after putting him through the pain of pulling it back. I had to straddle him and promise mommy was not being mean but helping him. He did hug me after words and tell me his penis hurt. I told him we were going to make it better.

I wish you well because I know this is hard.

this is WRONG WRONG WRONG!!

you do leave a forskin alone. it should only be retracted by the penis owner. pulling it back before it retracts on its own is painful and is akin to ripping off a fingernail. the skin is adheared to the glans. I cannot believe you are giving this information out!!!

Last edited by scatterbrainedmom; 06-14-2006 at 08:55 AM.
scatterbrainedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
firethorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you are both misinformed and if you had read the post thoroughly you would know all the questions you have asked.
Do you think it more humane to let it get repeated infections. That skin is NOT attached. And once the boy starts to get erections is pushes against that too small opening causing sever pain. It is suppose to be done at birth.
I guess it is also in your opinion OK to just cut it off(the foreskin). Like that doesn't hurt.
It is practiced in many cultures that typically do not circumcise.
I will not argue this one bit. I KNOW what I am talking about, I've lived it. But boys are perfectly fine and don't get penile infections that so many a tribute to non circumcision.

I also take great offence to being yelled at. That is just down right nasty.
Please research before you state things to be fact.
This poor girl can only be more upset and confused. It realy is sad.
firethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #14
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

DO NOT RETRACT IT!!!!

You're little guy shoudl be the only one to pull i back. youre' doing just fine leaving it alone. It's his, let him fiddle with it My ds had this problem one time, and it turned out that our fleece wsa holding soap int he wash, it isn't rinse as nice as the other stuff did, so once I stripped all my fleece, it went right away. My guess is that he is being irritated by something, and once that irritant is removed the redness will go away

But please, ladies, leave your guys skin alone. Ot sure where th eop got that info to retract it, but that can cause some SERIOUS, PREMANENT damage!
jennyofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #15
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firethorn
I think you are both misinformed and if you had read the post thoroughly you would know all the questions you have asked.
Do you think it more humane to let it get repeated infections. That skin is NOT attached. And once the boy starts to get erections is pushes against that too small opening causing sever pain. It is suppose to be done at birth.
I guess it is also in your opinion OK to just cut it off(the foreskin). Like that doesn't hurt.
It is practiced in many cultures that typically do not circumcise.
I will not argue this one bit. I KNOW what I am talking about, I've lived it. But boys are perfectly fine and don't get penile infections that so many a tribute to non circumcision.

I also take great offence to being yelled at. That is just down right nasty.
Please research before you state things to be fact.
This poor girl can only be more upset and confused. It realy is sad.

EXCUSE ME??? I am very well informed. my children are not circ and i have read TONS of info and even have a circ awareness website that I own. You are misinformed. There is so much wrong with your post i'm not even going to pick it apart. no one will take your advice to retract them, that is just wrong.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #16
firethorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Like I said I will not argue, I know exactly what I am speaking of. There are even studies in magazines that have done the research. If you are not a DR with expansive experience with this than you should not say it is not to be done.
Again, we have also delt with it. Boys are doing fine. No penis issues.
I would say it has to be a personal choice, common sense would lead you to some of the obvious.
If it is attached as you claim and would be like tearing off a finger nail than how does it ever pull back even on its own. Finger nails don't retract at the proper age.
Also I have pulled back. The only thing it caused on the healthy penis is some redness (much less than that of a cut penis) no tears, no infection, no problems ever. But it is clean.
AS for leaving it alone and letting the little one touch his own, come on we are talking babies. WE are suppose to take care of it until they can. Good grief.
Now if you want to bash me have a go but I will not even view this post again so you will be amusing only yourself.
But again I feel you are dealing with your own experience and I fail to see were you feel you are the authority on this.
What I have stated has worked for hundreds of years for the Native American boys, is practiced by Drs and results in a healthy clean penis from birth.
firethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This post is for the OP and anyone else reading. Please know that it isn't ok to retract a baby boy. It is not recomended by any reputable Dr's. Check out Dr. Fleiss if you want more proof of that. The care of the intact penis is very simple, just wash down the exterior like you would your finger. Never pull back the skin or stick anything inside of it. The bonds of the skin will begin to break on their own as the boy ages, and usually by puberty he will become fully retractible (though this isn't always true, and there is nothing wrong with a boy never becoming retractable unless he has pain with erections as an adult which is truly quite rare and can be treat easily with simple stretching exercises). The only person who should ever retract the foreskin is the owner of the penis, period. Even when retractable (some boys will become so within their first 2 years of life) no special cleaning is required until puberty. Then the boy can pull his own foreskin back and wash underneath with clean water once a day, just like a girl would clean her vagina. There are still some uneducated Dr.s out there who will recomend retracting at every diaper change. This is wrong. The AAP does not recomend this. Just leave the penis alone.

Firethorn, I have done my research well. No medical group advises what you are advising. In other countries where circ is not the norm they do not ever suggest this. Some dr's in america became uninformed on the care of an intact penis during the time that circ was reccomended. Check with the AAP if you don't believe me. While your at it check with WHO and AAFP. No one reccomends this but a few uniformed dr's nurses and MIL's. As for this statement
Quote:
And once the boy starts to get erections is pushes against that too small opening causing sever pain.
That is just silly. It makes no sense at all that nature would have designed the male body with this kind of flaw. As the penis matures the conecctions start to break down on their own. And as for that hole, it is plenty big enough for the penis to pass through, though for most little boys that isn't an issue until well past puberty because until then there is plenty of excess foreskin so that the penis is never truly exposed during errections. AS the boy matures his fiddling with his own penis will help in the gentle breakdown of the connective tissues and he will eventually become fully retractable. In some very rare cases a man never becomes retractable, but in most of those it is more an aethetic issue than an actual function problem for him.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:16 AM   #18
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my mamas! I truly did not intend for all this! Let me update you...I checked out Mothering.Com's case against circ as advised by another mama. The info I got from reading the many posts there was to not retract under any circumstances...not even a bit as I was doing to apply an antifungal cream (very gently pulled back and not forcing it over the glans). I guess I thought what I was doing was not considered retraction since I didn't pull it all the way back. So I quit doing that promptly and have left it completely alone except washing only the outside as I should have been doing !! I also went back to sposies at night and cloth at day. It looks great! No more problems! The morning he woke up with that sore foreskin, it had looked fine the night before when I put his nighttime dipe on, but I did use a fleece liner that night so maybe that (in addition to my "manipulation" had somthing to do with it). I think I'll stick with sposies for awhile and then maybe gradually go back to cloth at night. I thank you all for your insight and taking the time to reply!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #19
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

YAY!!!