Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
happiness
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: UGH! Sick of trying to buy used baby stuff!

I feel the same way! I feel that things look waaaay to used, and need to be pitched. I have better luck shopping clearance and goodwill.

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

nothing used like that in pre Iowa consignment stories.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mename View Post
Actually, it is not 'Illegal' to sell used car seats. It is illegal to sell EXPIRED car seats in Canada. The law has been misinterpreted by many people.
I've been trying to find info on this...it seems from what I can find that in Canada it is illegal to sell/give/loan carseats made before Jan 1 2012 that don't meet the current requirements, but that if you check with the manufacturer for your particular seat and it does meet them, then it is okay...off to google some more.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know here they sell non expired car seats in consignment stores, but the ones I've seen they are picky about.

I think with baby stuff you just have to pick and choose what you will get used. Crib, I'd probably always go new....ours was recalled so got a new one(partial credit from recall). Car seats I would go new unless I know the person....I used SIL infant seat as ours was expired.

Highchair, jumperoo, bumbo(with straps now, lol) I got all used. My fisherprice rainforest highchair was $2 in a garage sale!The bouncy chair was $1, lady just was so done with them. Going for $40+ on CL. I think you need to hit the garage sales to get the good deals. Standard here is about $20 for highchair, jumperoo , swing etc. But on CL it's more.....

But I agree that consignment and thrift stores have raised prices....because the demand for used is more than ever. I just read that used cars are even starting to get more $$ as people want to buy used vs new now. They said to the point where sometimes you are better off buying new..not sure about that, but I'd say the margin is getting closer. People are wary of spending $100 for a new highchair, $150 for a jumperoo, $120-200 for an infant bucket seat and so on. It's insane how much more expensive things are now compared to with my ODS who is 9.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #25
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Yep, I'm cheap but we bought a lot of new for dd2 since it just wasn't worth the cost of used.

We got a NEW stroller, new diaper covers, new aios, new carseat (we would always go new for this), new baby carriers.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #26
622mdc
Registered Users
seller

Wow! I am shocked that ANY state allows car seats to be resold. We have people in Louisiana trying to sell them on Craigslist all the time. It seems so wrong.
622mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #27
Eph&Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would rather see a mama buy a used car seat and have it properly installed than leave her oversized baby in an infant seat, forward facing because that is all they can afford. I agree that it's not something I would want but there are so many people who can't afford even diapers for their baby, much less a $60 car seat.

I am having a baby in June and have been asking around my friends to see if I can find someone who has an infant carrier/seat for loan or sale. I decided to look for a great used one because this is our last baby and I would rather save my pennies for really nice convertibles than spend it on a carrier that I will use for 6 months. Just seems more practical to me.
Eph&Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #28
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

I will probably upset a lot of people by saying this, but I refuse to throw expired seats away. I give them to a non-profit that gives them to families that would otherwise use no car seat. I rather see a baby/child in an expired seat that has not been in an accident than no car seat at all.

As far as being frustrated buying things used, I completely agree. I had a lady on here that was selling 24 prefolds for the same as new, and they had been used. I asked her to go down literally $3, which she did. A couple of days later she contacted me stating she could not find three prefolds, and asked what I wanted to do. I calculated the price I paid per prefold, rounded DOWN to the next whole dollar amount, and asked for a refund of that amount. I would have been fine negotiating with her, but her response was "wow, I was hoping you'd just say no big deal since I gave you a deal because I felt bad for you". Um, NO, I am NOT going to pay MORE for used dipes than I would for new!! (Yes, it would have been about $8 more than the cost of new, since I was saving less than $5 with buying all 24) Her response? "They're prepped". I'm sorry, but her child peed and pooped in them, they are NOT worth more than new. Especially since I prep new diapers by washing them with dirty diapers.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #29
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I pretty much stopped Checking out garage sales unless I was already driving that road. People here really inflate the price of used items.

As far as baby things go though. I have found the majority of what others think of as necessities I thought of as clutter. For our second and third child we bought or were given and used were a bassinet, diapers, carseat, sling, clothing and that was it that we needed. We were given a lot of other things I just didnt use.

My inlaws gave us a bouncy seat for our oldest. She flipped it over the very first time I out her in it. Yes she was strapped in. In fact she was still strapped in and doing a turtle imitation. I was never so thankful I had her on the floor not the table as I see many doing. We bought a swing for her and were given one for ds2. They were totally unimpressed with them. Eventually they were gotten rid of.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #30
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mi you can sell used car seats and cribs. I have actually bought and sold our crib used. I did the research before buying it . Got the exact brand and model and called manufacturer I called again before selling it to make sure nothing was recalled. I think if people do their research used is a good option.

Last edited by ulawolf; 02-26-2013 at 05:17 AM.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote