Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #31
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Re: UGH! Sick of trying to buy used baby stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensesforeyes View Post
I will probably upset a lot of people by saying this, but I refuse to throw expired seats away. I give them to a non-profit that gives them to families that would otherwise use no car seat. I rather see a baby/child in an expired seat that has not been in an accident than no car seat at all.
That's kind of how I think about it. Certainly when we had our first we had no money. We had been unemployed for months and had almost maxed out the credit cards. If my sister hadn't passed down nephew's car seat, we would have gotten one used. I'm really grateful that we're in a position to buy new seats now and high end ones at that, but I would never judge someone for getting used.

We got our crib used b/f drop sides were banned, we'll keep using it because it's a wonderful crib and I have no wish to replace it.

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #32
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

The used market has definitely gone way up so much up that I pretty much stay away from it now. I can usually find better deals on sale or through coops
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #33
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph&Ella View Post
I would rather see a mama buy a used car seat and have it properly installed than leave her oversized baby in an infant seat, forward facing because that is all they can afford. I agree that it's not something I would want but there are so many people who can't afford even diapers for their baby, much less a $60 car seat.

I am having a baby in June and have been asking around my friends to see if I can find someone who has an infant carrier/seat for loan or sale. I decided to look for a great used one because this is our last baby and I would rather save my pennies for really nice convertibles than spend it on a carrier that I will use for 6 months. Just seems more practical to me.
That was us. Got a great carseat from a friends for $10 . Worked, great.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #34
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I feel like people think because it's used it should be given away. If I buy a brand new, bathtub for $25 and, then use it three months for baths four x a week I'm not going to sell it for $3 . I'm going to sell it for $12/10 . That is very reasonable imo. If I use it for three, kids then yes I would sell for $3
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #35
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

I don't understand why it is such a big issue to sell a used crib? If it's not a drop-side crib or been recalled for some other reason, what is so awful about it? Car seats I can understand, but I'm just not getting the big used crib hate?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #36
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree, a lot of the cloth diaper prices have made me laugh. I see several that have been bumped forever and I can go to the site and get it for the same price or a buck cheaper including shipping. I have snagged some deals though and buying used I've saved $116 so far for the same stuff in EUC or like new that I planned on buying new. Just gotta be quick and find a motivated seller
Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #37
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You can always shop sales instead of used or use your discrepancy when choosing things, I bought my DD stroller for 900 off retail it lasted us 3 years and was well worth it, I bought car seat new though
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #38
Erinne
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellEBeanDesigns View Post
You can always shop sales instead of used or use your discrepancy when choosing things, I bought my DD stroller for 900 off retail it lasted us 3 years and was well worth it, I bought car seat new though
Holy cow, $900 off retail? I don't even know of a stroller that costs $900, I'm really curious now as to what you got and what you paid!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #39
Jamimclaugh
Registered Users
seller

I totally agree! It's amazing how gross some used stuff can be, but yet when I try and sell good stuff it's such a challenge! I can't find a good place to sell my baby clothes so I can buy some new ones. And it should be illegal to resell a carseat. I think they should trade in for credit at more places like babies r is does.
Jamimclaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #40
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

People talking about not having money for a carseat... You can afford a car, afford gas for that car, then you can afford a carseat. If you can't don't drive it. would you drive your car without insurance bc you can't afford it? Thats part of the cost of owning a car. If you dont have money for those things then don't have a car.

Sent from my droid