Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
things to make from raw goat milk?

i need some ideas and some tried and true recipes please!! we are getting our first milk goat this week and i want to be prepared on everything i can make with the milk. do any of you have goats??

i'm hoping to make the following

icecream
yogurt
butter
cottage cheese
soft cheeses

any other ideas or recipes welcome also!!

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: things to make from raw goat milk?

You can also make soap with their milk as well. I don't have any recipes as I don't have any goats yet but have been studying up for the past two years getting ready for when we finally are able to get some.

It really depends on what kind of goat you're getting as well. I've heard that unless you get a breed with higher milk fat you may have a harder time making things like butter and ice cream. I've read the cream in their milk doesn't separate as easily as a cow's so most people have said unless you're going to spend the money on a cream separator they don't bother. Nigerian Dwarfs and Kinder breeds have very high fat percentage in their milk. Nubians have the highest I believe of the standard size breeds. You can make cheese with any kind of milk, with standard dairy sizes it'll take twice as much milk to do it though than we with ND's or kinders. Are you only getting the one goat? Goat's are herd animals and it's never recommended to only have one living alone.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we are getting just the one for now, possible another one in a few months. we currently have horses and beef cows and chickens. so the goat wouldn't be 'alone' per say
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have dairy goats. They are the Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats. We have 4 right now, they are 3 does and 1 buck. Our three does are pregnant, so we will have goats milk soon.

One thing I didn't even think about at first was that you don't get goats milk until after they have the kid.

Make sure you have a good fence. We had one that was only 4 foot high and they were able to jump it, and the little one was able to easily squeeze through the gaps.

Make sure you don't keep a buck with the does after they are producing, because the milk will taste and smell bad.

I use goats milk now for all of my drinking and cooking (which is why we got dairy goats) because of allergies to cows milk and soy products.
TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure your goat will have tons of herdmates then and be quite happy! What breed are you getting?

And not to derail or anything, but TyAndCheyMommy, do you have a hard time milking the ND's? (I'm assuming you hand milk). They're definitely the breed I'm leaning towards, but the only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I'm 5'9 and my hands aren't exactly small, so I'm worried I'll have a tough time with hand milking. Well, plus I'm having a heck of a time finding good stock anywhere in my province, but I'm thinking that might be a plus as I might have an easier time selling the kids.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmofthree View Post
I'm sure your goat will have tons of herdmates then and be quite happy! What breed are you getting?

And not to derail or anything, but TyAndCheyMommy, do you have a hard time milking the ND's? (I'm assuming you hand milk). They're definitely the breed I'm leaning towards, but the only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I'm 5'9 and my hands aren't exactly small, so I'm worried I'll have a tough time with hand milking. Well, plus I'm having a heck of a time finding good stock anywhere in my province, but I'm thinking that might be a plus as I might have an easier time selling the kids.
Hand milking isn't bad actually. We built a stand for them- and actually made it a bit taller than the "books" said. Mainly because I am 5'10". It takes a bit of getting used to. It is far different from milking a cow.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was thinking of making a taller milk stand too, try and make it as comfy as possible for me. I guess it all depends on the quality of the doe as well, better udder=easier milking! I thought I might have an easier learning curve since I grew up at a dairy farm and know how to milk already...maybe not?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmofthree View Post
I was thinking of making a taller milk stand too, try and make it as comfy as possible for me. I guess it all depends on the quality of the doe as well, better udder=easier milking! I thought I might have an easier learning curve since I grew up at a dairy farm and know how to milk already...maybe not?
Knowing the concept will definitely help, but we find that you don't have to use as much pressure on the goats, and it takes longer to get them used to it.

You also need to have a plan on what you are doing for the kids (baby goats) once they are born. If you are going to let them feed off mom then you will have a bit more transitional period to get them used to milking. If you are going to bottle feed them be prepared to have mom full and sore until she gets used to the routine.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thankyou for the info ladies!! much appreciated. we are leaning towards either laMancha or Alpine for the breed. i have 3 farms i'm talking to right now. just trying to pick the best animal for us right now!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I had the option I think I would go LaMancha. They're supposed to be super sweet, quiet docile animals. Good moms, long level lactations with high fat milk which would be better if you want to also make butter, cheeses, etc. I'm considering LaMancha's as well except there's no breeders anywhere even close to me, and I'm having a hard time getting over the whole no ears thing .