Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ah, cholestastis, so we meet again...

I dealt with this my last pregnancy: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=926411.

My lame OB refused to even test me and my DD was born at 37w plus a day or two. By the time she was 5 days old, she'd lost over 20% of her birth weight and was very jaundiced. Her pediatrician knew exactly what the problem was once I described all my symptoms leading up to her birth.

So we went into this pregnancy knowing it could be a problem again. My OB this time is awesome and told me at the first appointment that he would test me as soon as I showed any symptoms. I told him on Thursday at my 33wk check that I was getting itchy and he said to wait and see if it gets worse and then he'll order the test. I emailed him this morning to say "it's worse, nose to toes itching!!" Hopefully he keeps his word and tests me.

Luckily our local Target carries Sarna lotion in their pharmacy area but it would be even better if they had a non-stinky version.

Anyone else dealing with cholestasis of pregnancy?

Eta: My OB ordered the lab work and I had my blood draw today. Downside is it can take up to 10 days to get the results.

ETA: Test results came back on 3/9 as positive for Cholestasis. Doc rx'd Actigall and twice weekly non-stress tests. My next appt is Tuesday 3/13 so I assume we'll start discussing induction then.

Advertisement

Last edited by CaliRoll; 03-10-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Test results came in
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
mama. I had it with DS1, and wasn't diagnosed until after 38 weeks . I was induced at 38+6 weeks, which was so scary, given the stillbirth rates if you past 37 weeks. Thankfully, DS1 was born perfectly healthy! He did need the respiratory unit because he passed meconium, and was jaundiced, but no other issues.

You can message me anytime, if you need to talk.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh, and the only think I found to help with the itching was Udder Cream. It didn't make it go away, but it healed the damage caused by my scratching.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ah, cholestatis, so we meet again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
mama. I had it with DS1, and wasn't diagnosed until after 38 weeks . I was induced at 38+6 weeks, which was so scary, given the stillbirth rates if you past 37 weeks. Thankfully, DS1 was born perfectly healthy! He did need the respiratory unit because he passed meconium, and was jaundiced, but no other issues.

You can message me anytime, if you need to talk.
Quote:
Oh, and the only think I found to help with the itching was Udder Cream. It didn't make it go away, but it healed the damage caused by my scratching.
Mine started last time right at 37w and I delivered at 37w4d. No induction or anything, LOL, my body just decided to evict DD like she was late on her rent. Labor was less than 9 hours, first contraction to delivery. So onset of itchiness to delivery was 5 days. I started itching last week on Tuesday night but then it stopped so at my OB check on Thursday the doc wanted to hold off on tests. I've had mild itching since but nothing that would make me worry.

The BAD itching started up again last night and OH MAN! Now that I look back and realize how soon DD was born after the onset of symptoms, I'm a little worried. 34w2d is way too soon for Ziggy to be born!! Plus I get to stress in the meantime.

My OB does surgeries on Mondays so it'll probably be tomorrow before his office gets back to me.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are you itchy all over? With cholestasis, you're usually only itchy on the palms of your hands and soles of your feet. If you're itchy all over, it may be something else. My symptoms started around 33-34 weeks with DS1, I think... my OB brushed it off as normal pregnancy itching (dry skin, I guess?) and didn't test my liver function until 38 weeks, when I saw him my bleeding, raw feet and hands .
Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Are you itchy all over? With cholestasis, you're usually only itchy on the palms of your hands and soles of your feet. If you're itchy all over, it may be something else. My symptoms started around 33-34 weeks with DS1, I think... my OB brushed it off as normal pregnancy itching (dry skin, I guess?) and didn't test my liver function until 38 weeks, when I saw him my bleeding, raw feet and hands .
Cholestasis can actually cause itching all over your body. The key is that it needs to also involve itching on palms and soles. My whole body itches plus my palms and soles. With my last pregnancy I scratched bleeding holes in my arms and had urine that looked like I was on medication for a UTI. Still waiting for the OB's office to contact me about coming in for testing. If they don't call by tomorrow morning, I'll call again.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I itched so bad when I was pregnant with my twins that I actually rubbed the skin off my wrists. That is when my doctors tested me for it and ended up having a c-section at 36W6D.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Had my blood draw today, just waiting on results.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bumping for a mama who had questions about ICP.