Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
zaeaton
Registered Users
seller

Will any one get a 16week gender ultrasound?

I know most big diagnostic ultrasounds are at 20 weeks. I'm so impatient that with my daughter I paid to get a 16 week gender determination ultrasound done at one of those 3d/4d places. It was $75. Part of the reason was 2 huge consignment sales were coming up and I 'needed' to know the gender so I could buy for the baby. This is how I rationalized spending the money!

I've looked into it where I'm at right now and it is $100. I know its such a waste of money because 4 weeks later I'll find out, but I'm tempted to do it again! (with my first we waited until 20 weeks). Anyone else thinking about doing this?

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Will any one get a 16week gender ultrasound?

My OB will do it for $40 out of pocket but I will probably wait for my anomaly scan at 20 weeks.
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
NurseJessie
Registered Users
seller

I would totally pay to find out but I know DH wouldn't, hehe. Even if the SCH resolves by then (which I really really hope it does) I will probably have an u/s every 2 weeks until 20 weeks to make sure it doesn't return. So we will probably find out early!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll probably find out early because I'll be getting u/s's anyway if these twins actually are ID twins. If I don't have one though, I won't pay for one early. I might be tempted, but my husband wouldn't go for it.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not unless it was covered on insurance....I see your point with the sales coming though....I guess it depends on how much stuff you need

3 years ago w/ DD the 3D place was charging $300 oop......I wouldn't pay that. Maybe the price has come down.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
zaeaton
Registered Users
seller

Jessica, what is SCH?

Heather, I was thinking about this this morning and I know nothing about twins so this might be crazy, but is it possible that you actually have fraternal twins and one sac is just place directly behind the other so that it couldn't be differentiated?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

No, its $125 for just gender determination, and the clinics that do them aren't even in our city, we'd have to drive an hour. And we always go to one of the 3D/4D clinics later on in the pregnancy to get good pics of the face and stuff, we both really love the experience and its $200 for a 30-60 min session, with a few printouts and a CD full of images and stuff, so to pay $125 extra just to find out the gender a few weeks early seems like kind of a waste. They do the anatomy scans here between 18-20 weeks, so we could possibly find out a little bit early.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Keme
Registered Users

My Mood:

With my son, the gender ultrasound was closer to 18 weeks, if I'm remembering correctly. I can't put my finger on why, but those 3/4D ultrasounds freak me out (no offense at all to mamas who get them, just a personal thing that I can't even explain), not to mention they are several hundred dollars around here. We could never justify that kind of splurge. But DH does KEEP asking me "when will we be able to know again?" It's like he's more impatient that I am
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
NurseJessie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeaton
Jessica, what is SCH?
Subchorionic hemorrhage. It's when there's bleeding between the gestational sac or placenta and the uterine wall, resulting in a blood clot, or hematoma. Mine happened at 4.5 weeks and we thought we lost the baby because I bled heavily for several hours and passed what looked like tissue but must have been clots. But we're still pregnant! The clot is still in there, but the baby was almost the same size as the clot at 8 weeks. They do ultrasounds every 2 weeks to see if the blood has gotten reabsorbed by the uterus, and sometimes the clot comes out. So I'm having my 5th ultrasound this Thursday, and praying for happy healthy looking baby and for the clot to be smaller or gone!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
MunkyCrazy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would do it if we had one closer, probably. They freaked me out when I was pregnant with DS1 but they've grown on me. Probably my last baby, so I'd like one at some point.