Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
amykins04
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
2nd day of cd'ing, daughter has a "smell"?

This is my second day of cloth diapering. Today when I was changing her first diaper of the day I noticed she kinda has a funky smell down there. Never noticed it before. I gave her a bath yesterday and she hasn't pooped since then so I don't think it's because she isn't clean. Is it just because I'm used to the disposables having perfumes in them? We used Pampers Baby Dry previously and they have a pretty strong "baby powder" smell to them.

Advertisement

amykins04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
DiaperPalz
Registered Users
Formerly: cjspears26
seller
seller

Re: 2nd day of cd'ing, daughter has a "smell"?

i think you just may be used the sposie smell mama. after a while when you smell a sposie you'll think it's so strong.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
mommytoreanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is it her or the diaper? Were the diapers used or new?
mommytoreanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
amykins04
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's her. Some diapers are new, some are used but I stripped them before she wore them.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm, can you describe the smell? Is it mild urine, or a funky/fishy/barnyard/ammonia smell? Do the diapers stink in the pail? ITA with the PP who said that you will think that sposies stink horrendously in a few months. You will also notice that they even put that sposie chemical perfume on lots of baby toys (like dolls), because I guess people associate that stink with their sweet baby and grow to like it.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
amykins04
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
Hmmm, can you describe the smell? Is it mild urine, or a funky/fishy/barnyard/ammonia smell? Do the diapers stink in the pail? ITA with the PP who said that you will think that sposies stink horrendously in a few months. You will also notice that they even put that sposie chemical perfume on lots of baby toys (like dolls), because I guess people associate that stink with their sweet baby and grow to like it.
The only way I know how to describe it is it's like a funky/dirty smell. Not really fishy or ammonia. Not sure what barnyard is? I smelled the dirty diaper pail and it kind of smells too. Not really sure what ammonia smells like either lol, sorry I'm no help I just don't want her to be getting an infection or something. She's just as happy as ever, nothing seems to be bothering her. I change her every 2-3 hours but she's not a heavy wetter.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
mommytoreanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

What laundary soapo do you use on the diapers? If the diapers are not clean they will smell. ammonia is kinda like a strong pee smell. I use sopies at night and never really notice a smell and my older one uses luvs.
mommytoreanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
CuriousElephant
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
I agree with describing the smell. I had stink issues before I realized it was stink issues, if that makes sense. I didn't know that cloth wasn't really supposed to smell and it wasn't until I had a good wash routine that we no longer had stink issues.

As for sposies, we use one overnight and I don't think they have a scent at all. YMMV.
CuriousElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
amykins04
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytoreanne View Post
What laundary soapo do you use on the diapers? If the diapers are not clean they will smell. ammonia is kinda like a strong pee smell. I use sopies at night and never really notice a smell and my older one uses luvs.
We use BumGenius detergent. I still use disposables at night too just because I am waiting for bamboo inserts to come in. I guess I will have to wash them a few times before I use them again. How hot can the water be? My hot water heater is set pretty high, like 140 degrees, is that too hot? I don't want to damage the diapers. Right now we are using mostly Softbums, Oh Katys, and BGs.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would try a Hot wash with 1 tsp Dawn and 1/4 cup bleach, then another wash Hot with nothing. Just to disinfect and/or strip detergent build up out. Then air dry covers and dryer dry inserts as usual. Its possible that she just has stinky pee.. (you clean the "in between" areas right? I didnt know to do that with my first DD, our pedi had to tell me *ROFL* so that is why I ask)
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote