Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:20 AM   #1
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can you believe my SIL?!?!?!?

Can you even give kids w/o teeth foods like Cheerios? We went to a former co-workers house for dinner the other night and the wife wasnt' sure if Ethan was on food yet,but she said she had some cheerios for him. I mean, all wa sfine when I said we hadn't started solids yet,but I thought to myself,"how could he eat cheerios at this point anyway?"

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Can you even give kids w/o teeth foods like Cheerios? We went to a former co-workers house for dinner the other night and the wife wasnt' sure if Ethan was on food yet,but she said she had some cheerios for him. I mean, all wa sfine when I said we hadn't started solids yet,but I thought to myself,"how could he eat cheerios at this point anyway?"
My 1st daughter didnt cut her first tooth until she was 15 months old and she started on cheerios at about 9 or 10 months, they just gum them. My pedi says they can chew just fine...not steak,lol, but soft bread, cheerios, ect. BUT geeeezzzz my SIL was like in shock that I wouldnt let my 5 month old eat that kind of stuff.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
momof4
Registered Users
seller

My 4 y.o. got her hands on some Cheerios at about 5 1/2 months (I thiink one of her older sibs put some on her tray) and gummed them down with great delight. I didn't give her any more till she was a bit older, but she seemed none the worse for the experience...
Old 06-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

good to know,t hanks!

Your SIL sounds like my MOm- if you didn't do things her way its completely wrong
Old 06-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you think about it, the "chewing" teeth don't come until much later anyway...they get the "biting" teeth first. Besides, cheerios just dissolve pretty quickly without much help at all.

I'm almost afraid to say this because I don't want to get jumped on but DJ loved Cheerios when he was around 5 months . He was ready though. One of the daycare kids my mom keeps is the son of a good friend of mine. I was talking to her one day and she was cutting cheerios in half to give her son. I just had to laugh at that one...either he's ready or he's not...cutting cheerios in half is WAY too much trouble for me! Even though I was laughing in my head though, I would never dream of giving her a hard time about it (unless it was joking...because I do things she thinks are absolutely crazy too!)

At the time that DJ started eating real foods, I totally believed that he was ready...I still do. As the person who knows him better than anyone else in the world, I honestly believe that I made the decision that was right for him. It does really irk me though when people try to criticize or get all indignant about any decisions that a mother makes. One of my cousins has a baby the same age as DJ and she didn't let him have ANYTHING other than breast until he was well over 6 months. Everyone in our family gave her all kinds of crap about that and I was always the first one to stick up for her. She made the decision that she believed was right for her family and it wasn't hurting her son...even when she didn't let him taste his own birthday cake (she gave him no sugar added fruit sorbet or something while everyone else ate his cake!), I didn't necessarily agree with her decision...I didn't think it was nearly as big of a deal as she did, but I stood up for her because as his mother it is her decision. I don't think it would have hurt him to start eating solids earlier, I don't think it would have hurt him to taste his own first birthday cake, but it certainly didn't hurt him to wait either...so why should anyone else get all bent out of shape about it!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

lol she sounds like my mom
she use to flip when i told david didnt take that stuff either. i think he started when he was 1yr old with cheerios too . well he had 'issues' with his food so i never pressed him.
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

people need to mind their own business i remember when dd was 2 months and MIL gave her GRAVY!!!! i was fuming when cadence was 5 month i started SOME babyfood and she HATED it so i tried cheerios she loved them. She didnt get teeth till 11 or 10 months. She has always been good at gumming things and never really choked so i let her. and someone said just not steak haha i gave her a teeeeeeeny peice and she gummed that too! LOL but its all up to you i KNEW she was ready if i felt my kid wasnt i wouldnt do it all children are different and need different things at different points in their lives so its whatever works for you!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't given my little ones Cheerios that young, but our current youngest is 7 months and my husband gives her pieces of popcorn (without the hard parts) and she goes nuts over it. Gets ticked off if he doesn't give her more when she's gummed the other piece to mush. Some kids are more ready than others. My 4 yo couldn't stand textured foods until she was nearly a year, so it just depends. But being surprised that a baby not sitting up isn't eating solids is a bit much. One thing at a time, kwim?
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
momof4
Registered Users
seller

It was probably already different by the time most of you were born, but when I was a baby, pediatricians told moms to start rice cereal at 2 weeks of age. My mother has complained for years about her kids "starving" their children by waiting until they were at least 4-6 months before doing solids regularly. Now that she's seen they turn out OK, she doesn't comment as much any more...
Old 06-12-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my sons started with solids at about 5 months. I know they say to wait until 6 but I feel that they were holding their heads up and they were grabbing at food and obviously wanted it, so they were ready.

I think you SIL should respect your wishes though. My inlaws are constantly trying to give DS2 stuff they know he can't have. I told my MIL that he is allergic to meat, she didn't think a bite could hurt, until he barfed all over her and her carpet that is.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote