Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #11
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can you believe my SIL?!?!?!?

My girls are nine months and aren't ready for finger foods. They have a hard time with thicker purees which is completely opposite to my son. I've had a friend that would laugh at people who did things "by the book" and it always irked me. Your choices are yours alone.

Funny story though. When we were in Edmonton this weekend we stopped to eat at the mall food court. Abigail and Dylan were bored so I broke off pieces of my dinner roll and gave it to them. They had their soothers in their mouths and didn't know that it was food so they would hold it up to their faces and look proud.

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #12
thefragile7393
Registered Users

I always wonder how people survive in spite of the stuff that was done to them (solids too early, etc etc)
Old 06-13-2006, 08:14 AM   #13
Carrie
Registered Users

Wow I'm surprised your SIL you make such a huge mistake! My SIL is PERFECT and knows EVERYTHING! If she doesn't know, it isn't important! Yeah, I'm kidding.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #14
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

LOL!!! Yes I can believe it
Old 06-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #15
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4
It was probably already different by the time most of you were born, but when I was a baby, pediatricians told moms to start rice cereal at 2 weeks of age. My mother has complained for years about her kids "starving" their children by waiting until they were at least 4-6 months before doing solids regularly. Now that she's seen they turn out OK, she doesn't comment as much any more...
I thought I was the only one that got that from her mother!! My mom is constantly telling me that my ped recommended that she give me cereal at 2 weeks and it did wonders for my disposition! I try to tell her that I remember that ped and he was at least 400 years old at the time but she can't accept that the rules have changed. Personally, I don't put too much stock in the "rules", I try to look at the research and the recommendations and guidelines and then do what feels right and natural to me as a mother, but if there's any doubt, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Bottom line though is whether you decide to go against the recommendations and start "early" or go with the recommendations and start late, you are the mother and your wishes ought to be respected. My cousin and I both take great pleasure in reminding our elders at family gatherings "Because I'm the mommy and I said so!" We swore we'd never say that to our kids and so far, so good, but we do so enjoy saying it to our mothers and aunts!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #16
starwithnolight
Registered Users
seller

My MIL gave my son a "taste" of peanut butter icing behind my back when he was 4 months old.

I wanted to kill her.

Just thought I'd throw that in to show my In-law's are too.

I don't think either of my kids had finger foods (like cheerios) until at least 9-10 months old.

OH and my mom started bugging me to put rice cereal IN A BOTTLE at 2 weeks old. And my MIL harrassed me to start my kids on rice cereal at like 3 months old. I was "starving" them, because I didn't.

Last edited by starwithnolight; 06-13-2006 at 09:08 AM.
starwithnolight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #17
MamaStace
Registered Users

My kids both started solids around 5months. DS was so ready--hungry and grabbing food off my plate and nursing sooooo much. He loves to eat, he was strong and sitting up and I believe he was ready.

However, I would NEVER tell another mother how to make decisions for her child! And I'm VERY offended when people try to tell me how to raise my children!

MamaStace is offline   Reply With Quote