Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
goat owners question

what do YOU do about cae? what do YOU to to prevent it? also did you find it hard to find a caprine savvy vet? I guess even though we have a crapton of cattle around here all our local vets don't know much about goats I called one and he wanted to wait till our little buckling was older to castrate and disbud him ;/ and he wanted to put him under to do it ? ok thank god the lady we are buying a goat from today offered to disbud and band our little guy for us! also do you test got worms yourself or do u always go to the vet? have you used herbal wormers? what did you think of them?

wife to my hard working oil patch hunny hershalmama to abigail 2-12-10and big sis elizabeth 4-21-03
okiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: goat owners question

I got into goats primarily to breed and raise registered show quality dairy I care very much about CAE. I bottlefeed all the kids pasteurized milk and test the adults once a year. Also the kids are kept seperate from the does for at least 6 months. I would worry less if I had a negative herd...but thanks to testing I know I don't. I also will not sell a positive animal on to someone else. Even though I'm no longer breeding show animals, it's just good ethics to make my does as healthy as possible. And since I'd bottle raise anyway to keep kids tame and friendly, it's not that much more work to pasteurize.

It's very hard to find a vet who really knows about goats, they get treated like mini cows. You end up kind of being your own vet and hopefully you can get meds and stuff from the "real" vet to do your own treating. Happens a lot with livestock. It's well worth your time to learn to disbud and castrate yourself. Ask if the lady you are buying from will show you how to do it...banding is a piece of cake and even disbudding isn't difficult. Not fun, but not hard either. Goats reproduce fast and paying a vet for those things would be pretty expensive after a while.

I don't test for worms myself because I've never put the effort into getting set up for it. It's neither hard nor expensive to do yourself though. I'm a licensed vet tech and reading fecals is easy to do.

In my experience, herbal dewormers are completely ineffective. I try to minimize parasite infection by good management and usually only need to deworm once or twice a year. I usually use cydectin for cattle.

Last edited by Abbaloosa; 03-06-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Abbaloosa is offline   Reply With Quote