Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Gaining too much weight, starving!

Help!
I'm gaining too much weight, but I'm not sure what to do about it! At 24 weeks (with twins), I'm up by 32 pounds (7 in the last 2 weeks!). In total, I should only be up by 24, max... And the weight keeps packing on.

I don't eat poorly, so other than my newfound and unusual affection for sweets, there's not much that can be done for quality of food.
I eat raw veggies, heap of 1% milk, apples with peanut butter, apples and cheese, only whole and/or sprouted wheat products, and lots of cottage cheese and tuna.
And okay, yes, I also eat junk here and there, but overall I feel good about "what" I'm eating.

I'm just STARVING all. The. Time.

And my midwife is worried about the weight.

Should I shrug it off? Is me getting "too big too fast" what my body and babies need? Are there any safe and natural ways to suppress appetite during pregnancy?

I don't want to risk the health of me and my babies by gaining too much, but dangit... I'm hungry!

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Advertisement

KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
scrapandsewon
Registered Users

My Mood:
I would think you're midwife is likely concerned about Gestational Diabetes being the cause for the weight gain. Ask for a referral to a nutritionist, and ask them to give you the meal plan/guide as if you are following the GD diet! It wouldn't hurt. And believe me, you eat so much it's pretty crazy! The portion sizes seem minuscule at times, but after a couple days, you are totally satisfied!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gaining too much weight, starving!

i have never been prego with twins, but during my first pregnancy i gaind 65lbs! it was horrible for my body, it didnt feel good. but honestly i couldnt stop eating i was always hungry. my daughter came out just fine and healthly. i had a LOT of weight to lose once i had her but really, as long as you are not over eating on sweets/junk i wouldnt worry about it. if you are good in eating habbits maybe your body just need the extra weight. the only thing i could suggest would be to maybe do a little more physical activity like extra walking or whatever.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/mul...eightgain.html

That site says gain is ESP important in weeks 20-24 so perhaps your gain is normal? It also says women with twins who have gained atleast 24lbs by 24 weeks reduce their risk of preterm labor and low birth weight babies.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/mul...eightgain.html

That site says gain is ESP important in weeks 20-24 so perhaps your gain is normal? It also says women with twins who have gained atleast 24lbs by 24 weeks reduce their risk of preterm labor and low birth weight babies.
Yes, which is why I haven't been worried until very recently. I read "when you're expecting twins triplets and quads" (which puts a huge emphasis on adequate gain) and felt like my weight gain was a really good thing... Until yeaterday's appointment. I was overweight to begin with (not by much, but enough to fall into the overweight category for weight gain), but i wont actually be 24 weeks until Friday, at which point I'll probably be a full 10 pounds ahead of the game :-(

Just freaks me out, and I'm starting to really worry. Ugh. :-(
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For what it's worth, I gained 40lb at 25 weeks with this pregnancy. My midwife hasn't mentioned any concern about it so far. This is baby #6, and I've usually gained about 35-40lb total. I really hope this is going to slow down! Like you, I'm trying to eat healthy, but I'm so stinkin' hungry all the time! I'm also exercising and drinking water regularly. Mostly I'm just looking forward to being done so I can go back to losing weight like I was before.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:

Some women just gain lot of weight. I ate super healthy and vegitarian my whole pregnancy but by the end i gained 65 pounds!! All the women on my mom's side gain at least 60 pounds their first pregnancy and then even if they lost all the weight by the second pregnancy they gain the "normal" 25 to 30 pounds.... People are all different and as long as it isn't Gestational Diabetes i wouldn't be worried if it was me.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miacoda View Post
Some women just gain lot of weight. I ate super healthy and vegitarian my whole pregnancy but by the end i gained 65 pounds!! All the women on my mom's side gain at least 60 pounds their first pregnancy and then even if they lost all the weight by the second pregnancy they gain the "normal" 25 to 30 pounds.... People are all different and as long as it isn't Gestational Diabetes i wouldn't be worried if it was me.
This -- some women just gain more weight. I've gained (and lost) 50 pounds with my last two babies, and I expect this one will be right around the same. As long as you don't have GD and are eating well, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
dkg354boy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am on baby number 7 and have gained 60-70 lbs with each one. I have never had any of my drs say anything about my weight gain. I have always lost the weight after also, sometimes faster than others but still off just the same. I would not worry about it at all. If you are feeling well and babies are healthy that is all that matters.
Christine,Proud LDS wife to the love of my life David and Mama to six wonderful children, Darien(16) kayla(14) Princess Paige(8) Braeden(6) Abigail(3) Baby Caitlynn(21 months) three little beans in heaven, never forgotten

dkg354boy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't worry. Maybe try increasing protein, but that said sometimes there's not much you can do. I recently hit a bottomless pit phase of my pregnancy. I eat lots of healthy food, grains, eggs, nuts, etc but am still really hungry. I do make sure I'm drinking enough water though. Sometimes hunger is triggered by dehydration or thirst. That does happen now and again for me. I also make sure to eat at least 6 times a day. 3 meals and 3 small snacks that are paired with some form of a protein (nut, or egg. I'm allergic to dairy so that's not an option). Oh, also making sure I get enough essential fatty acids like avocado, olive oil, or something similar in a dish helps with the hunger too. However, I'm only pregnant with one...twins is a different story I would imagine.

Personally, a doctors weight gain concern can get really irritating when you already eat pretty healthy. Weight gain will jump at certain weeks as well because it correlates with a babies weight gain in the womb. In the last months you gain even more weight because the baby is gaining. With twins it will be more.