Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gaining too much weight, starving!

My mom gained a bunch with her twin pregnancies, especially with my sister and I. We were perfectly healthy although being born at 31 weeks. She actually gained 70 pounds even in that short time frame!

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be worried about weight gain, but that doesn't sound like a lot with a twin pregnancy to me. Also, the best way to curb hunger and avoid GD is to add more fat to your diet. Saturated fat is actually really important for your babies' brain development, so switching to whole milk products and using coconut milk/oil and good butter with your veggies and sprouted grains will help a lot to curb hunger. Basically, you replace carb calories with fat calories. Free-range eggs are also a great thing to add. I always eat fruit with cream and veggies with butter or olive oil- that way you don't get the blood sugar spike that brings hunger on faster.

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think it's normal in a twin pregnancy especially to gain weight. I gained 20lbs in 2 weeks from 30-32wks and gained 61lbs total. I lost 30 within 48hrs and the other 30 in the next year.
I wouldn't be worried. My dr said higher weight gain contributes to higher birth weight babies and that's a good thing with twins. Mine were 5 & 6lbs at 34wks which was great. Home at 7 days old and no lung maturity issues.
Good luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you're eating healthy I wouldn't worry about weight gain. Some women just gain more than others. I'm a slow gainer until I start to swell. With both kids I gained 55lbs. By a week after delivery I had pretty much lost it all.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks everyone :-)

I think most of you are right, and that I should stop stressing. Neither my OB nor my midwife are experts on multiple pregnancies, and evvverything I've read (that was worth reading) does place a huge emphasis on the correlation between maternal and fetal weight gain.

7 pounds in 2 weeks was just... well, a little scary.
How is that even possible, ya know?! I've weighed within the same 15 pounds range since the 8th grade! Consuming enough calories to equate to SEVEN POUNDS in TWO weeks didn't even seem possible to me until it happened!

DH is supportive and not critical of my appearance, but he's a fitness nut and anything related to weight puts him on the side of my practitioners.

I just get very worried when I start to fall out of normal ranges for anything. Lots of anxiety surrounding this pregnancy.

Thanks again everyone. :-)
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #15
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Keep in mind those babies are gaining weight also! Are you working out at all? If not I'd try that before diet.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #16
mparmywife
Registered Users
seller

I honestly wouldn't worry about it as long as you're eating healthy. With DD1 and DS2 I gained like 30-35 pounds and my doctor was fine with it but when I had DD2 the (another) doctor was always after me about my weight so she said I needed to slow down, see a nutritionist, etc. I didn't eat badly but towards the end all I wanted to do was sit and eat and I didn't because I gave in to the doctor bothering me - I gained 22 pounds and she was my smallest baby 6.6 at 40w2d (DD1 was 7.8 at 40w and DS2 was 7.10 at 40w2d) and had a lot of health problems at first. I feel like if I had gained like I wanted to then she would have been bigger and maybe not had as many problems. She's healthy now but I honestly, truly think that as long as you're eating healthy then do what you're body is telling you to do - your body knows what those babies need better than anyone else! Blessings on those babies and good luck :-)
Daughter of the King and Blessed to be a SAHM/WAHM BFing, CDing, Circumcising, Slow Vaccinating to James, mama to DD1 Caitlyn (08/16) angel baby Michael (10/07) DS Nathan (11/08) and DD2 Hanna Nicole (07/11)
https://www.facebook.com/SweetSparkles3
mparmywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #17
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

Try not to worry about it. As long as you are eating healthy foods, only eating when you're really hungry, don't have GD, and are getting some exercise, it's probably just how your body "does" pregnancy. I also think that plenty of emotional damage can be done by fixating too much on the numbers. I had such anxiety and stress about my weight gain during my first pregnancy but, like you, felt pretty helpless to slow it down -- I ate healthy foods as much as possible, but was just starving. All told, I gained 60 lbs and lost every pound by the time DS1 was 8 months old (not that it came off easily, but it did come off). When I got pregnant again, I told my doctor that I didn't want to discuss weight AT ALL and I refused to be weighed at my appointments. It cut down on the weight-gain stress a lot. (I think I gained around 50 lbs the second time and now, six months later, it's almost all off again).
Old 03-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't worry about it, either. With my pregnancies, I gained most of my weight in the second trimester and really slowed down in the third (my appetite decreased, and it was also physically hard to eat because it felt like my stomach was the size of my thumb). That will probably be the case for you, too! And keep in mind you most likely will not go until 40 weeks, and you also may have a hard time eating as you get bigger, so your body may be packing on the necessary weight now while you can.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaLoves View Post
xc
7 pounds in 2 weeks was just... well, a little scary.
How is that even possible, ya know?! I've weighed within the same 15 pounds range since the 8th grade! Consuming enough calories to equate to SEVEN POUNDS in TWO weeks didn't even seem possible to me until it happened!

I just get very worried when I start to fall out of normal ranges for anything. Lots of anxiety surrounding this pregnancy.

Thanks again everyone. :-)
Just wanted to pop in again and add a couple of things - once I went to my midwife with another pregnancy, and the scale said I'd gained 9lb in two weeks. I was totally shocked, and my midwife was hassling me about drinking too much sugary stuff and that being the reason, etc... Two weeks later I was at the office and the scale said I'd lost 5 lb, or something like that. Turns out the scale was way off the time before, and really, I'd gained 4lb in 4 weeks. Just fine.

Also, I usually gain most of my weight in the second trimester, and generally by 35 weeks I don't gain any more, and possibly even lose a few lbs. If the book says 40lb over the pregnancy is normal, and your ob thinks that should all come in even increments over the entire pregnancy, then he's mistaken. Some times it will jump, and sometimes it will slow down.

"Normal" is a very broad term for any situation. Don't be confined by it, or stress too much if you deviate a bit. Think about babies. It's "normal" for a baby to walk at about 12 months. Some will walk at 9 months. They're fine. Some will walk at 18 months or later. They're also fine. People are all unique.

Finally, about 7lb in two weeks - probably water retention, not fat. Try drinking more water to help flush it out, but for the rest, don't worry too much - that sort of weight drops pretty quickly after birth.

All the best for the remainder of your pregnancy!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm glad you are reading the Twins, Trips and Quads book. It is a great nutrition guide. I don't think you have gained too much. With a twin pregnancy your stomach will get too squished toward the end to eat more than 1/2 a sandwich at a time, so it's important to put on fat stores now, so that later on your body can use that to help babies grow! I would suggest eating smaller meals more frequently, and drinking a protien shake at least once a day. I normally end up between 155-ish when delivering single babies, and I was over 170 with twins... I think it was probably 180-190, I stopped looking b/c it was depressing! I was about 130-135 when I got PG! So about double the weight gain! Mine were born healthy at 37 weeks 3days, 6-11 and 6-15! Best of luck to you, and don't worry about the wieght gain if you are eating healthy!