Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
lilac0226
Registered Users

Re: Gaining too much weight, starving!

If it is safe I would try walking more, but personally I wouldn't worry too much about gaining during a twin pregnancy. Plus maybe it will slow down, I always gain most of my weight in the 1st and 2nd trimester, with my twins I gained 30 pounds, and only gained about 5 in the 3rd trimester, I did only make it to 34 weeks, but I think the further along you get with twins the more taxing it is on your body that you need those calories. I could be wrong but I think as baby gets bigger, the more calories they take from you. Plus keep in mind it is normal for a baby to gain 1/2 week in 3rd trimester, so the babies alone are gaining at least 1 pound per week of your weight, so it is really their weight, not yours.

If you are worried about overall weight gain, just keep in mind you drop a lot of your weight with twins. Within 2 days after delivering I had lost all but 2-3 pounds of my pregnancy weight, and my waist was actually a size smaller than it had been before I got pregnant. And that was despite swollen legs and ankles thanks to pitocin.

Congrats and hope you make it to full-term! I wouldn't stress, you are going to be nursing twice as much after they are born, that burns calories, and I took my twins for lots of walks since it was the only way to get peace and quiet since it put them to sleep that I don't think you will have a tough time losing the weight. Just focus on being healthy for now.

Advertisement

lilac0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #22
Amanda+2
Registered Users
seller
seller

with my twins I gained about 70lbs, but had them at 32 weeks (3lbs and 4lbs). The doctors were really impressed with their weights. I really had the attitude that its 9 months of my life to do the best I can for them, and I can loose it later.

I did the Dr luke diet as much as I could, and ate a lot of protein at every meal, and I lost the weight within a few months. But to be honest up to about 26 weeks or so I was STARVING all the time, and would eat breakfast at 3am, another one at 6am, lunch at 10am then another lunch at 12, afternoon snacks at 3, then dinner at 7. I seriously could not eat enough. Then my stomach shrank and I lost my appetite.

good luck with the rest of your pregnancy
Amanda+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about it one bit!

With my DS1, I quit working in the first trimester...and basically put myself on bed rest and ate whatever I wanted for the rest of the pregnancy...lol. I gained 70lbs.

DS2, I was determined not to gain that much, and so I worked out at the gym 3-4 times a week, was chasing around DS1, and still gained 55lbs. I was 15lbs heavier to start as well, so I ended up at the same weight both times, regardless of my activity. I think your body just does what it needs to do, and some women just gain more than others

Definitely don't limit what you eat or starve!

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about it one bit!

With my DS1, I quit working in the first trimester...and basically put myself on bed rest and ate whatever I wanted for the rest of the pregnancy...lol. I gained 70lbs.

DS2, I was determined not to gain that much, and so I worked out at the gym 3-4 times a week, was chasing around DS1, and still gained 55lbs. I was 15lbs heavier to start as well, so I ended up at the same weight both times, regardless of my activity. I think your body just does what it needs to do, and some women just gain more than others

Definitely don't limit what you eat or starve!

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #25
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

I have a bit of a confession and some words of caution for you...

With my third I started my pregnancy over-weight. I had a midwife who was VERY concerend that I not gain much weight. I allowed her concerns to take over my life. I gained 15 pounds total - carrying a 7 pound 11 ounce child. I also almost died. She was more worried about the number on the scale and everyone was congratulating me on how little I gained -- all the while I was slowly starving us both. I ended up with severe anemia and a rare blood pressure problem where my pressure would jump from super low (passing out) to super high (heart problems) in a matter of seconds. Of course I had NO idea at the time that the "diet" I was on was what caused my condition - that didn't come until after. I was following medical advice and although I was starving all the time - I thought I was doing the right thing. Thank god (!) my DS seems to have suffered no effects except his teeth. His enamel didn't form properly because of my poor nutrition.

I am a normal mom. This was my third pregnancy - so been there done that. I've never had an eating disorder but my midwife basically created one by restricting my calories so severely.

For my fourth and now fifth pregnancy I won't even step on the scale. I close my eyes in the Dr's office (yes Dr - never again will I have a midwife, although I know my experience was rare I just can't do it again.) I eat healthy and I don't care what I gain because I know that I am doing what my body needs.

OP- I think you should get checked for GD just to make sure. But other then that I honestly think you should listen to your body. Your body knows what it needs. The one time I didn't listen to mine almost cost me everything.

Last edited by mg5g; 03-07-2012 at 04:26 PM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #26
teeniebeenie6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you drinking enough? I struggle with getting enough fluids in and I've read we often mistake hunger when our body really wants fluids. I feel for you though. I am 37 weeks pregnant and have started feeling starved all the time and I am only pregnant with a singleton. I think my issue is not drinking enough, I am not big on water.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #27
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
(yes Dr - never again will I have a midwife, although I know my experience was rare I just can't do it again.)
That's so disappointing that you had such an experience with a midwife! Trusting women's bodies and intuition is supposed to be the midwives' strength. Some definitely are more "med-wives" than "midwives".
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #28
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
That's so disappointing that you had such an experience with a midwife! Trusting women's bodies and intuition is supposed to be the midwives' strength. Some definitely are more "med-wives" than "midwives".
That is really sad. I have gained 40 pounds with this pregnancy (10 more than my first), and I've made a few disparaging comments about it to my midwife. She just smiles and says that my weight gain is "perfect". If there were any real problems I might understand the OP midwife's concerns, but gaining that much weight with twins just doesn't sound bad to me!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #29
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
I don't want to de-rail the thread - sorry op. My MW just wasn't trained enough. She was a new grad and a mom of 4. She had trouble understanding that just because it didn't happen to her didn't mean it wasn't real. She wasn't the MW I hired - she was brought in later in my pregnancy and I basically got stuck with her. Since that time the MW I hired has left the practice and started a new one. This wasn't the only issue I had with the practice - they made several serious mistakes - I did teach me to stand up for myself and not be afraid to DEMAND better care. But that didn't help at the time.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #30
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

I drink toooons of water. It's pretty ridiculous.
I'm also getting about 100 grams of protein a day (at least). Earlier in the pregnancy I was aiming for 176, but it was too much for me to accomplish without suffering mentally and feeling sick, lol.

I've given up, and have decided to gain whatever my body is going to gain.
Neither my midwife nor my OB are experts in twin pregnancies (though I'm sure the OB would try to make a case for why he thinks he is :eyeroll. They put a referral in for me to see a nutritionist, but as I doubt they are well trained in multiple pregnancies, so I don't plan on going. They're only going to a.) Insult my intelligence with no-brainer nutrition advice that I probably already adhere to, or b.) tell me my protein intake is too high and/or give me other advice I disagree with. lol

I go in for my GD test in about 2 weeks, so hopefully that comes back good. Not a single person in my entire extended family has ever had any form of diabetes, even though many of them are morbidly obese. I was only about 10lbs overweight pp, so other than carrying twins I have no risk factors. I guess we'll see!
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote