Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Potty Training Success Story

17 months old and potty trained

People who have little ones near me have been saying "You'll have to give me tips when I'm at that point" I honestly feel like I have no points to give, but this is what I have done.

Since 11 months I have put DD on the potty to poop. The reason for me doing this was because she had constipation issues and it would get stuck and she would spend 20-30 mins trying to get it out. On the potty 10-15 mins max! At about 12-13 months old she started grunting to tell me she had to go. So instead of being "mommy trained" she did it on her own. Accidents, yes..but those stopped around 16 mo old.

I planned to attempt to potty train fully (day train) at 18 months. I figured I would show her pee goes in the toilet and she took to it and loved going up the stairs to get to the bathroom. So she would tell me and I would ask her "do you have to potty (pee)" and she would run to the gate. It started being a game for her climbing up the stairs but she would go at least 1 out of 8 times.

I then started to put her in panties and figured, well lets get this going. I had one bad day of 5 accidents and now she freaks out if she has an accident, which I haven't had for a few weeks. (maybe a half of one, she holds it pretty well) I consider her fully potty trained now after a week of PTing. I do not use a baby potty seat, she just plays with it. I used a toilet seat that goes over the normal seat. I ask her every 45m to an hour now but she usually lets me know.

Nap times are accident free so far. I have not done night training. I think I am going to wait till she is old enough to pull her own panties down and I will then night train her or again I will wait for her cue when she is ready.

The only tip I can give you is: Go by their lead. It's amazing what they will let you know what they are ready for!

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Happily Married DD1 born 9/13/10 DD2 born 5/11/12

Last edited by tbowers8403; 03-06-2012 at 07:32 PM.
tbowers8403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
My Mood:
Re: Potty Training Success Story

wow great story! daughter is 17 months I am just starting to think about potty training her, as I have a new baby coming soon. I'm just afraid to start before she's ready, and have it be miserable for both of us. I have a lot of reading to do!
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote