Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How can I get her to take her medicine???

Okay Mamas, I need some advice on giving my daughter her medicine. It's just a teaspoon of liquid, but I CANT get her to take it. I dont want to hold her down and cram it in, but I dont think I have a choice WHat do you mamas do to get your DC to take their meds? Oh yeah, she is alomost 3 yrs.old.
TIA,
Kim

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:
Re: How can I get her to take her medicine???

Drinkable yogurt is the trick we use. The taste of the yogurt masks the taste of the medicine, and they think it is a "special treat" to have it since we don't buy it all the time (too expensive!) I just use the syringe from the pharmacy to punch a hole in the foil and squirt the meds in, then put a straw in the hole I made and shake a bit. hth!!
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
momof4
Registered Users
seller

BTDT. What a pain. I've tried different things for different kids when we went through this. Sometimes the force method, with repeated injunctions of, "Some things you get a choice about. Medicine, you don't." You can then offer hugs and rewards after it's done. This depends on how strong-willed your dd is.

Sometimes, switching to chewables does the trick at her age. Most medications are available as chewables; check with your pharmacist/pediatrician. As a last resort with one of mine, the pediatrician prescribed suppositories.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
tng_mama
Registered Users

We always mix it with something else, either the drinkable yogurts or something else they don't usually have..like chocolate pudding. It works for us. HTH. Hope your little one is feeling better soon!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4
BTDT. What a pain. I've tried different things for different kids when we went through this. Sometimes the force method, with repeated injunctions of, "Some things you get a choice about. Medicine, you don't." You can then offer hugs and rewards after it's done. This depends on how strong-willed your dd is.

Sometimes, switching to chewables does the trick at her age. Most medications are available as chewables; check with your pharmacist/pediatrician. As a last resort with one of mine, the pediatrician prescribed suppositories.
ahhhh, I thought of this! but for some reason they didnt recommend the chewables at her age. Under age six...hmmmmm I wonder why though
Old 06-12-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
momof4
Registered Users
seller

Oh, drat. Maybe your pediatrician can clarify or help. It made all the difference with my DD, after the force method just didn't fly, and she refused every doctored food from yogurt to pudding; even ice cream! I don't remember how old she was, though.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am going to try to put it in the drinkable yogurt, Thanks for the ideas Mamas
Old 06-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well its not neccesarily good for her, but 7up or sprite hides taste pretty well, so sticking her meds in some of that might do the trick. For my dd I used to get pills and crush it up and put it in solids, especially sweet stuff like a spoonful of marshmellow fluff.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #9
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
honey

put honey on a spoon and have her lick it really coating her tongue, then before she pulls her tongue in and sucks off the protective coating the meds go in. She won't taste them. But for some kids its just being told what to do, not offered a choice etc that makes it bad. How many times a day? Because for a truly resistant child we just slip in the dropper (you can dip the dropper in honey but we haven't had to) while the kid's asleep. Put it back by the molars between the cheek and the teeth and they swallow it before they realize what's happened.
My baby is on 4 hard-core meds right now, that can't be skipped or spit out. The most important one is only available as a tablet. We balked at the instruction to "stick it way back like he's a cat" but you know what? It EASY, its totally mess free, when its down its DONE, and he doesn't freak out about it. He doesn't LIKE it but I swear he tolerates the pill-cram better than than sucking down droppers of drugs
Old 06-13-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: honey

I haven't had to do meds in awhile but man I remember them too well. I can't "force" them down because every single time I do, they come right back up. My DD is 3 now, and I have switched to chewables for her with anything available....even when she had to have antibiotics awhile back. Both doctor and pharmasist gave her chewables without any sort of warning(because of her age) I haven't even heard that under 6 wasn't for chewables. Chewables completly solved my medicine problems with her.

I haven't had to give DD2 medicine besides tylenol when she was little little, so I dont' know how she'll do with meds.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote