Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
mommymandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dilema with my OB :(

So this is my third pregnancy... and I have had my OB since my first.. I tend to love his laid back ways, and the way he treats me, BUT I am going for a no intervention, med free birth this time. While he is supoortive of my natural birth, he is VERY negative about Hypnobabies, my doula, and my wants for delayed cord clamping, no eye goop, etc. He will do what I wish, but I HATE feeling unsupported. I looked into having a midwife, but my only option for that is having $6000 upfront, which I don't and if I switch OB's then it will be one of 3 dr's to attend my birth, so thats not really any better...
I have toured my hospital and talked with the nurses about my birth plan, and they all seem very supportive.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I am trying to stay positive and think about all the support I have, my DH, Doula and the nurses... and am confident I can have the birth that I want, but I can't help but worry that my Dr wont be respectful of my wishes..

Advertisement

www.AmandaGreene.OrigamiOwl.com
"You tell stories with words, we tell stories with jewelry"
mommymandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dilema with my OB :(

i wouldnt' discuss hypnobabies or doula any further with him..those are personal choices and really dont' affect his job at all. You can refer to your doula as your friend who will be attending if you want.

For the delayed, i brought it up at a largely attended childbirthing class (b/c it was mostly first time moms who prob hadn't heard of it) to ask about their policy. The two head nurses form L&D running the class hadnt' heard of it and one, i kid you not, actually told everyone that you can't wait too long because the blood will flow back from the baby to the placenta. I then mentioned that i had read an article in a magazine in their very office just two days prior that said new research was showing babies were healthier and had better iron stores if you can delay cord clamping for even just a few minutes, but preferably till it stopped pulsing. She was receptive and said she'd look into it more.

I think if you found a reliable source (cdc, aap, who etc) that recommended delayed cord clamping and printed it and took it to your doctor for him to look over at a more convenient time, it might be better recepted. I know medicine changes all the time so maybe he's not up to date on the different options and benefits?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm not sure how involved your OB was in your previous births... But during my OB birth... My doctor was really just a baby catcher. The rest of my support did 100x more than my ob did. As long as you brlieve he will support your wished stick with him and make sure your doula and nurses know your hopes for everything else.

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect

Last edited by jamilynn84; 03-07-2012 at 09:24 AM.
jamilynn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

yeah, in my experience my OB came in a couple of times to check me, break my water and then more or less caught the baby and took care of the stitching. He DID cut the cord, etc, but the nurses took care of almost everything else.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

the two ob i had just caught and came in maybe 2/3 times to check on me. Id look for a good support system through your nurses bc they are the ones doing most of the work.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

My ob didn't even check on me before he came in for the delivery, he was there to catch and sew up & that was about all. I wouldn't discuss those things with him again most likely, just make sure your actual support people know your wishes.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
i wouldnt' discuss hypnobabies or doula any further with him..those are personal choices and really dont' affect his job at all. You can refer to your doula as your friend who will be attending if you want.

For the delayed, i brought it up at a largely attended childbirthing class (b/c it was mostly first time moms who prob hadn't heard of it) to ask about their policy. The two head nurses form L&D running the class hadnt' heard of it and one, i kid you not, actually told everyone that you can't wait too long because the blood will flow back from the baby to the placenta. I then mentioned that i had read an article in a magazine in their very office just two days prior that said new research was showing babies were healthier and had better iron stores if you can delay cord clamping for even just a few minutes, but preferably till it stopped pulsing. She was receptive and said she'd look into it more.

I think if you found a reliable source (cdc, aap, who etc) that recommended delayed cord clamping and printed it and took it to your doctor for him to look over at a more convenient time, it might be better recepted. I know medicine changes all the time so maybe he's not up to date on the different options and benefits?
Sorry everyone I can't for the LIFE of me find the name of what my son had.

BUT - don't discount those nurses opinion in the quote above right away. My son had delayed cord clamping. This wasn't discussed with us - the MW just did it. Had she talked to us about it I would have told her NOT to do it. All my children have a history of jaundice. My son ended up with a rare disorder where he had too many red blood cells because the cord wasn't clamped quickly. This made him LOBSTER red all over his entire body. AND because too many red blood cells causes jaundice - he was VERY sick and had jaundice for many, many weeks. We had to go through a lot more medical intervention then we would have otherwise.

Last edited by mg5g; 03-07-2012 at 06:31 PM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Sorry everyone I can't for the LIFE of me find the name of what my son had.

BUT - don't discount those nurses opinion in the quote above right away. My son had delayed cord clamping. This wasn't discussed with us - the MW just did it. Had she talked to us about it I would have told her NOT to do it. All my children have a history of jaundice. My son ended up with a rare disorder where he had too many red blood cells because the cord wasn't clamped. This made him LOBSTER red all over his entire body. BUT too many red blood cells causes jaundice - he was VERY sick and had jaundice for many, many weeks.
I think you misunderstood..the nurse was saying that leaving it clamped would drain the baby of blood. THAT is a complete misconception. If the cord was cut and not clamped, yeah maybe, but not when it's still pumping blood from the placenta.

What your son had was polycythemia and hyperviscosity. There are a few causes, and delaying cord clamping can complicate it, but it's mostly seen in newborns that have a birth defect, babies born to mothers with gestational diabetes, or a genetic disorder (and some twin pregnancies). Was there a reason he was not treated with iv fluids, esp being jaundiced for weeks? Or an exchange infusion to lower his rbc count?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't discuss it with him any further....just tell them what you want done/not done once you get in there. There's no arguing with a woman in labor...LOL!

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
mommymandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much ladies! I think your right, with the support of the nurses, DH and my doula, I think it will be fine

www.AmandaGreene.OrigamiOwl.com
"You tell stories with words, we tell stories with jewelry"
mommymandy is offline   Reply With Quote