Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I'm craving something my body can't handle

DDCing here, sorry. I had major issues with milk cravings while I was bf'ing. DS1 *&* DS2 could not handle it. I found taking a calcium supplement once a day helped tremendously to curb the cravings since I have a soy allergy and back then almond or rice milk was a touch harder to find than it is now. Between the calcium supplements and a nice almost melted chocolate bar now and again, I got by. Of course, both my boys are now chocoholics...oops!

Advertisement

the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
GracieMak'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with ya Sheena. Although, i have been lactose intolerant since before Gracie, it just got worse after she was born. I second the lactaid suggestion.
Fortunatly, i've lucked out with this pregnancy, i can tolerate some dairy without a Lactaid pill. Also, they have Lactose free milk,yogurt,coffee creamer and even cottage cheese. Actually, that reminds me, i need to go out and get some more lactose-free yogurt.
As for the cravings, i have been craving ice-cream hardcore. And while i can tolerate some dairy. . ice cream isnt one of them. Thank heavens for coconut milk ice cream!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
RealMommyLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

talk to your dr. or midwife, and see if you can take lactaid. All it is, is the enzyme that digests dairy, that people with a dairy intolerance lack int their GI track. Also try eating almonds and coliflower. They are high in calcium, which is probably why you are craving milk products.
RealMommyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

I hope you can enjoy your dairy. I have IBS and a slight lactose intolerance which aggravates my IBS, so needless to say cheese is pretty much the only dairy product I can handle, milk, yogurt, and ice cream are all off limits. EXCEPT when I'm pg which is good because I seem to crave it while pg when I really don't miss it when I'm not. I think its because pg constipates me SO BAD, that the dairy doesn't have the same negative affects, if anything it keeps me from getting super constipated and helps me stay regular. I've been eating yogurt, bowls of cereal with lots of milk and ice cream with none of the horrible consequences.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
NurseJessie
Registered Users
seller

I just have to say that after reading this I am now walking to the kitchen to make chocolate milk. Sounds so yummy! I hope you figure out a way to have it!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #16
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! At least I'm not alone in my craving. LOL. I may ask about the lactaid. I've been thinking about trying it anyway. Now would be a good time.

Luckily, I didn't end up sick from my milk today. But, I've been very careful not to have any more dairy.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I drank ovaltine for pretty much the last 2 months of my pregnancy & would have really bad stomach aches.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm gluten free b/c of my Hashimotos, and ALL I want to eat is bread and butter, ramen, saltines, GOLDFISH CRACKERS!!, ANY kind of pasta dinner....ugh!!! I think we as a country eat so many carbs b/c they are EASY! I swear, when I'm naseous and just need to grab a snack so that I don't get more sick, I go look in the pantry and ALL the easy to grab food is a carb. So, I've been eating a lot of fruit leathers from trader joes. I heart bread!
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
NurseJessie
Registered Users
seller

Jennifer, I eat fruit leather every day. It's an awesome snack when I'm all of the sudden hungry and I know I'll feel sick if I don't eat something fast.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm fine with dairy and I LOVE chocolate silk. My mil can't have any dairy at all and I got her addicted to silk. Glad you didn't get sick from your glass today! I've been drinking a big glass of chocolate milk when my stomach has to have something but I can't stand the thought of eating.