Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Show me your Classroom!

Or classcorner, or classcouch or however you do it We have a pretty small house, no one room to dedicate wholly to school, so I'm looking for inspiration on how to make our dining room co-exist as our classroom.

Oh, and do you find a desk necessary? DS currently has one but I'm thinking of ditching it in favor of the dining room table. He doesn't really like sitting at the desk but I thought he might like it more as he gets older.

Advertisement

Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Show me your Classroom!

We have a whole room dedicated to books, the computer (though dh and I both have laptops too) and homeschooling. I have a book and curriculum problem though. I did find that we needed desks, the kids just focus better. Kearnan has a really cool sloped top desk that stores most of his stuff inside and he writes far better on it. He is ASD, SPD so it really helps him. Tharen has a big old fashioned Kindergarten desk the MIL gave him and it also has storage. He likes to sit out there and color even when he isn't doing school work.

These are older pics, things have changed a bit since then. We have bean bags on the floor for history time and some of the books have moved around. As you can see I have a book collecting issue. Probably at some point that whole room will just be full of books and dolls (and then the boys will have to do class in their rooms or at the kitchen table). There are more books in each of the boys' bedrooms and there are crafts supplies in the kitchen.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
misidawnrn
Registered Users
seller

Here is our new classroom. (we now have chairs and the table is the other way. The wall off to the left of the picture also has 4 short bookcases along it and a white board now. This was when we first moved in a year ago.

Here is how we had our school room in our old house. It was in the small dining room.

misidawnrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

OOO - post lots ladies! I need ideas!!!

One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't have an extra room to devote to schooling either. Our living room is long and narrow with the front door and opening to the dining room right in the middle so we only use half of it for the couches and TV. The other half wasn't being used so I turned that into a little learning area. It works for now but I'll have to expand when they get a little older and we have more books and need a bigger table. Our dining room is right beside so we'll probably store everything here and then work at the dining room table as well.

Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
hauser
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't like my pictures right now I will try later. But we use a table.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Subbing... I am wondering where we will do most of our schooling here too. We are a family of 5 in an 850sqft house so space is very tight!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just added 2 ikea shelves to our kitchen to hold our pre-k homeschooling stuff and crafting supplies.

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect
Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

At the beginning of the year. It has a lot more things in it ,but the basic idea is the same.

From the doorway

Chalkboard

Ds Art desk

DS Art desk

Reading nook

Back wall

Group table

Work boxes /Supplies and daily folders

Last edited by AbbieJack; 03-08-2012 at 10:29 PM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
Candy Lee
Registered Users
seller

I posted these on the other thread, also. There are five of us, and we live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath singlewide. It's about 1,000 square feet. My youngest two share a bedroom, and our oldest son's room doubles as our homeschool room. We homeschool all over the house, though. . . even in our treehouse! We are moving into an 1,800 square foot house, hopefully by the fall, so it'll change.