Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
sandyj21
Registered Users
seller

Re: Btdt mamas of 3+ i need you!

The transition to three was very hard for me. I now have 7 and the new addition will be 8. I still remember thinking and feeling the same way you are now. I cryed the day my mom went home and left me alone with three children. My husband was deployed at the time and I was terrified. It was hard. I was going to school at the time too. Anyways I look back on it now and think how much easier it was than I thought it would be. Once we feel into a routine everything was fine. You will be fine. I understand I have been in your shoes. Face it, conquer it, and look back and say "I did it."

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
MommyKeller0107
Registered Users
seller

I am with you. My ODS is 5, YDS will be 2 a month after this one comes. I'm terrified!

L0Ri K

MAMA T0 KADE (1/07)
LEVi (09/10)!

:: & RUBY ♥ ::
MommyKeller0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just became a mom of 3 in January. My oldest is 6, middle is 2.5, and my youngest is now 7 weeks. The "being mommy" part isn't difficult, and my oldest is very helpful with my middle (zipping his coat for him, opening/holding the door, opening his fruit snack package, etc.) while I'm tending to the wee one. Overall, it's not too much of a challenge going from 2-3.....

But, the most challenging thing this time around is that now we have my oldest's school schedule to deal with. When my middle came along, dd was not yet in school, so we woke up, ate, and went along with our day at our own pace. Now, I NEED to be out the door every morning at the same time so she's not late to school (which means myself and 3 kids, up, dressed, fed, and strapped into car seats ready to pull out the driveway.....on a schedule, with an "on demand" newborn, and "terrible two" in tow.....that's the challenge. And, again at the end of the school day....I have to have my middle up from his nap (which isn't fun...he's a little cranky when being woken up) and the little one fed and in a clean diaper so we're at the school in time to get their sister.

All the other stuff has just fallen into place (and I'm proud to say that we haven't been late yet.....) Overall, I'd have to say, it's not HARDER, it's just DIFFERENT, and you'll adjust.

Good luck, and congrats!
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma

Last edited by jenncatsmeow; 03-07-2012 at 08:17 PM.
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenncatsmeow View Post
I just became a mom of 3 in January. My oldest is 6, middle is 2.5, and my youngest is now 7 weeks. The "being mommy" part isn't difficult, and my oldest is very helpful with my middle (zipping his coat for him, opening/holding the door, opening his fruit snack package, etc.) while I'm tending to the wee one. Overall, it's not too much of a challenge going from 2-3.....

But, the most challenging thing this time around is that now we have my oldest's school schedule to deal with. When my middle came along, dd was not yet in school, so we woke up, ate, and went along with our day at our own pace. Now, I NEED to be out the door every morning at the same time so she's not late to school (which means myself and 3 kids, up, dressed, fed, and strapped into car seats ready to pull out the driveway.....on a schedule, with an "on demand" newborn, and "terrible two" in tow.....that's the challenge. And, again at the end of the school day....I have to have my middle up from his nap (which isn't fun...he's a little cranky when being woken up) and the little one fed and in a clean diaper so we're at the school in time to get their sister.

All the other stuff has just fallen into place (and I'm proud to say that we haven't been late yet.....) Overall, I'd have to say, it's not HARDER, it's just DIFFERENT, and you'll adjust.

Good luck, and congrats!
You have very similar spacing to what we will have. I think the pick up/drop off thing will be easier since lo is due in august and you know how easy newbies can be to haul around (they usually just fall asleep!) and my almost 2 year old is already used to the routine. The waking up in the middle of the nap thing is an issue, though. I try to get her down by 11 so she's up by 1 and we have time for lunch and then off to get "brobro". But, I know she may want to move her naps more toward the afternoon as she gets older.

I like the phrase, "it's not harder, just different"
That's encouraging!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKeller0107 View Post
I am with you. My ODS is 5, YDS will be 2 a month after this one comes. I'm terrified!
Right?! But, I am also really looking forward to observing the interactions between the two who are closer in age since I've never experienced that before.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

1-2 was WAY harder than 2-3 for me. WAY. 2-3 was pretty easy, actually, even with him being colicky (so was #2). My kids are about 3 years apart each and they are all best friends. They play together all day long, though the toddler sometimes messes things up and makes the olders mad.

Basically, everyone knows that the baby comes first and they learn to wait.

We homeschool and that does make it easier as far as being on our own and not the school's schedule. I also think it makes the kids play together more and better because they do it all day and I help them constantly to be kind and help one another.

You will do fine. It may be chaotic at first, but in 2 years you will look back and wish you would have enjoyed it more!

I am having #4 and it may be our last, so by golly, I am going to enjoy and relax and remember that it goes fast and I will look back with extreme nostalgia in a few short years!!!

Last edited by momomom; 03-07-2012 at 09:49 PM.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 AM   #17
girlichick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemilyon
Ive heard that once u get through becoming a family with 3 kids u can pretty much handle more. However ive heard the transition to 3 is hard for many.
Ive been struggling lately with doubts. I am so tired and worn out by the endless demands (and incessant nonstop talking of ds!!) of just the 2 kids I have along w/ trying to maintain the house (& oh yeah, being in school) How am I going to stretch even thinner for the 3rd?!
Sometime i think it is just that extra burden of being in school that puts me over the edge. But what if its not?
What is ur experience? Did you feel this way at all? How did you transition well ti being a mom of 3?
Going from 2-3 was hard for me too. But, my oldest had just turned 2.5 when my third was born... And I had a 17 month old. The sibling part was great, the logistical side (like getting everyone out) was way harder. So that was hard. They were all good sleepers, but I did feel like the transition was overwhelming. They are 4, 3, and almost 2 now and it's waaay easier.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #18
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For me, going from 2 to 3 was the hardest. But I agree with what other's mentioned that it was because of their closeness in age. My oldest was just about to turn 3 when my third child was born. I did have c-sections with all of them which really put some pressure on me. Adding the 4th child 2 years later was easier and I expect this to be the same since it's been another 2 years. It does get easier once you figure out that routine that works for you. And I completely understand the negative husband part! My hubby struggles with that since he loves to analyze everything and try to "improve" it, and I have to remind him to look at the positive and what's been accomplished and focus on that first...starting with encouraging me! It will work out. Don't stress. Just take it one step at a time.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #19
aphlbrck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Moving from 2 to 3 was really hard for me. I think part of it was that we unexpectedly had relocate to a new state for my husband's job when number 3 was just born. The transition from 1 to 2 was easy, I think b/c there was a 3 year gap between 1 and 2.

There was just a 19 month gap between 2 and 3 and though DD (#2) was an excellent, quiet child she was VERY CLINGY and having her on me constantly and a nursing baby pretty much sapped my energy and patience for the first few months. But you get into a routine, the children accept each other and it all works out. I have to say, and I'm pretty sure it's because they are so close and have spent so much time together, that DD and DS (#3) play really well together now. I think we're exiting the terrible twos (fingers crossed) so hopefully adding #4 won't be too stressful.

Hang in there, a lot of what you are feeling is hormones. It always helps me to have a mental game plan in place for all of those what ifs I worry about. It will all work out with patience, humor and love!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #20
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks everyone. I'm starting to feel a little more calm. Yesterday I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry!!!
All the logisitics aside, I cannot WAIT to meet this new little man!! DS1 is such a great brother and I am excited to see him with the new lo. Also, dd is a major love bug so she should be great!
....and dh is in therapy so maybe that will help him deal with...himself!! LOL!!!!