Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Anyone into Bartering?

My husband and I have bartered a few times in the past, but would love to do more in our area. Just wondered if anyone else liked bartering.

Some examples we've done... deer for tree help. beef for some money, but also canned goods.

I was just pondering bartering milk for canned goods or milk for so many months for meat chickens... thoughts?

Any experiences? What things have you bartered for/with?

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
MerissaA
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone into Bartering?

I barter with my mom all the time. She gives me things I need in trade for things I have. We trade food, books, ect. This year we traded for meat. We got meat from them and they wrote down a $$ then we paid it off by giving them other things.
MerissaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

I have bartered my knitting services in exchange for my midwife's fee for my last 2 births.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

I love the idea of bartering but so far have really only done it with family. And with family I don't even really consider it bartering as much as doing favors for each other, kwim?
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I barter A LOT. I got my SO a motorcycle through bartering. I was very happy over that..and surprised he took my offer LOL.

I posted an ad on Craigslist for items I was ISO and what I had to offer. I didn't get a TON of hits but I did get some stuff.
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossTheUniverse View Post
I have bartered my knitting services in exchange for my midwife's fee for my last 2 births.
I'm jealous! Although if I could barter with my doctor for the last 3 c-sections I would be at my sewing machine for the next 13 years. Or cleaning his house for the next 13 years... I wouldn't mind though! That is very cool.

My Dad bartered to pay for my birth with the doc (he was a family friend). My dad reroofed his house in exchange for the birth... I was a colicky baby and my parents prayed the roof would leak so Doc would have to repossess me. No suck

I hate growing tomatoes, but want to can them. I was thinking about asking locally if anyone wants to barter green beans/peppers for them (I actually like growing those!).
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do, as much as possible. We don't own a plow. Well, we do, but it is an old style, horse drawn one, that DH has to hold while I drive the tractor. Kind of funny. So we have called upon our neighbour for use of his plow for garden plots and his snowplow. He automatically snowplows everyone on the road when it snows, but we have asked him to plow our garden plots on occasion.

We give him eggs, tomatoes, baked goods, and watch their house (they travel during the warmer months to a property out west). We also send our sweet children over for kid-time with them (which I am sure doesn't count, but they love it), because they desperately miss their grandchildren (who are out west). THey would never accept money, EVER, for the plowing, so if we feel we have not reciprocated enough, we buy them some coffee cards for their trip (they drive) or have bought gas cards, too.

On the other side, we have bartered eggs with neighbours for tools. DH just traded about 25 dozen eggs for a gorgeous chop saw. We go back and forth with them all the time -- they will make sausages, we will make sauce, we will make sausages, they will have too large an order of something and share, we will make bread, etc... I think within a week, we probably meet at the fencerow 2-3 times trading something. This is probably not truly bartering, but it is nice.

My FIL, who built this house, was a chiro (and a hobby farmer, obviously), and he used to barter his services for horse feed, etc... He was a good man, and didn't like to charge people he felt were friends or needed him. So, on top of the arranged agreements, inevitably bags of feed, a bike for DH (when he was little), etc... would show up on the front porch. This is a great community for that sort of stuff.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post

I hate growing tomatoes, but want to can them. I was thinking about asking locally if anyone wants to barter green beans/peppers for them (I actually like growing those!).
Someone would totally do that! You just have to find the right person. Another thought is if you have a CSA nearby -- they may take your excess beans and peppers and give you credit for tomatoes.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote