Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Has anyone ever used or had an experience with a birth photographer?

I'm seriously considering using a birth photographer this time. I have a photographer on my Facebook friends list that does birth photography. (She took DS's pics about a year ago for a contest.) She is super good and super expensive. I was looking at her website last night and found this: http://www.shareitvideo.com/watch.php?v=241555667323703. I'm so impressed and inspired. I can't afford her though. Her cheapest package is like $600.

My brother's girlfriend is a photographer though. She does most of our pictures. She's just starting out but she has a degree in photography. I'm very satisfied with her work. She's never done any birth photography but I'm sure she'll jump at the opportunity. She loves to expand her portfolio. I know that she wouldn't work for free but I'm sure that she wouldn't charge nearly as much.

I have some reservations about this though. I'm not crazy about adding an extra person to the delivery room. I had DS in a hospital with a MW. I had a doula, DH, and my mom as support people. There were nurses in and out of the room at various points. That was plenty of people for me!

I don't want my delivery room to be a circus. Birth is very sacred and private and special. I will have the exact same sort of birth this time around. I will have all the same support people. I'm afraid that adding a photographer will make me feel too much like I'm on display. I don't want to be "watched" - if that makes any sense. I'm afraid that I'll be uncomfortable.

My brother's girlfriend and I are close. We are very good friends. She is like an aunt to my DS. I expect her relationship with this LO to be the same. I'm sure she will be honored if I ask her to do this. In the back of my mind though, I can't help but dwell on the fact that she and my brother aren't married. What if they break up someday? I hope that never happens. If it does though, won't it be even weirder if she was there when one of kids was born? This is such a private time for me. This is a hard decision to make.

Also, she's never had any kids. She's never experienced birth before. Meanwhile, I'm going for an all natural birth. I'm hoping to give birth while squatting or on my hands and knees or however feels right at the time. I'm not sure if she can handle all of that. I would talk it out with her first, obviously. It's just something else to consider.

DH is on board with whatever I want. He's very easy-going.

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Worth every damn penny.

Eta: a professional will be a fly on the wall. Seriously. I did not even think about mine. And he was a man and I had only met him once. Lol!!! My husband and I would do it all over again. In a heartbeat.

Last edited by keen1981; 03-08-2012 at 09:20 AM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone ever used or had an experience with a birth photographer?

If it were me, I'd hire the professional. I remember the first time I witnessed a live birth, and I don't think I would have been in the right mind frame to take good pics at the time As a photographer myself, I think you'll get your money's worth in professionalism and awesome pics Plus if it's something that she's done before than she'll know how to stay out of the way, not make you feel "watched" and still get the pics that she's after. I think it's worth it!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
MrsHappyGoLucky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with hiring a birth photographer, but I might look around to find a cheaper price. I'm using a MW in a birth center, but can't afford to hire a professional photographer. Instead I'm asking to birth assistant to take pictures for me. I'd ask my MIL, but she already told me "I have stupid written on my forehead" for not using any drugs. I don't think she'll be able to handle a camera after seeing a true natural birth LOL.
MrsHappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I started offering birth photography because of how much I love it. Right now I'm offering it for 0 to my doula clients because I'm still learning and am building my portfolio but I will charge later on.

To be honest, from what I see, 600 is cheap for a professional birth photographer. Some birth photographers charge $$$$. As a mom and woman, I believe it's SO worth it. This is the most intimate time in a woman's life and I would safe up every penny for it.

Birth photography is different from other photography types and I would want to have someone there who knows how to deal with the challenges that come with it.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree that birth photography is different than other photography....you're asking a person to be on call basically, and the photo shoot is probably a lot longer than a typical session.

I think it could be worth it. I'm on the fence about it for myself. I don't really want to share labor and delivery with anyone aside from those needed...DH, a midwife and a nurse.. Thankfully, we have two great cameras and they are pretty user friendly..and i'm decent at editing....I'm planning for DH to take most the pics, and maybe the midwife or nurse could take a pic or two of us together, but i'm not going to bank on that b/c it's not their job.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
I started offering birth photography because of how much I love it. Right now I'm offering it for 0 to my doula clients because I'm still learning and am building my portfolio but I will charge later on.
I actually asked my doula about her experiences with birth photography yesterday and found out she's doing the same thing now. She has been putting some pics of her kids up on FB over the last year or so that have knocked my socks off. I think she's really talented. Turns out, she bought a super awesome lens a few months ago and she's planning on trying out her skills on a few upcoming births. She stressed the importance of having the right equipment for low-light photography. She said she'd show me some of the upcoming birth pics. I'm excited. I like this idea WAY more. I really didn't want to add an extra person to the mix and it sounds like she knows what she's doing.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was planning on having my bff do some photography at my birth - if she's able to make it. She's a really good photographer but has never done a birth before, given birth or attended a birth, but I'm happy to be her guinea pig and I know she'll be professional. I also know that she won't be offended if I tell her to get out. She's really excited that I'm planning a natural birth and will be totally supportive.