Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Questions about dying prefolds

I want to make my prefolds pretty. Can anyone point me to a good "how to" site? I was afraid to just google it because I wasnt sure if there are certain dyes that are bad for being next to baby's skin or if we have to use a certain kind since these diapes will be wahed 5 million times, kwim? Are there any special rules like that or do you just pick a dye and go? Any tricks of the trade from those of you who have done it before? I'm completely cluless. Do you have to find an old pot of something so it doesn't stain. Do you boil it or what? lol Help! Thanks.

Christy

Oh, and I'm placing an order for prefolds today and was planning to get unbleached, but for dying purposes do I have to get bleached? I dont really want to, but dont want them to turn out ugly...

Advertisement

mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: Questions about dying prefolds

I dyed my unbleached prefolds and they turned out great. I used the Rainbow Rock tie-dye kit from Wal-Mart, but you don't have to mix the colors if you want them a solid color. I just followed the instructions on the kit and it was easy! The hardest part about it all is making sure you wash enough times so that it doesn't bleed.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

watching this thread too
Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
mamabug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What aisle/section did you find this in? I looked in the laundry aisle and did not find the Rainbow Rock kit...is it in crafts?
Loving wife to my best friend, Kevin, BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing, Non-vaxing, babyfood making, knitting, Christian SAHM to Randi 10/94 , Heaven 3/96 , Sheldon 7/98 , Peyton 5/00 and Little Kason born Sept 20, 2006!!
mamabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bought one too, and yes I found it in crafts
Old 06-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

is this kit inexpensive? if so looks like i'll be having a rainbow of pf's too! maybe i dunno, i can be kinda lazy sometimes lol.
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Mistymama
Registered Users
seller

Highly recommend the Procion (sp?) dyes from Dharma Trading Company (not sure of the exact URL) they have a nice starter kit, the dyes are safe (& won't bleed as some dyes will) & fabulous instructions!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've heard great things about the Procion dyes from Dharma too but for inexpensive dyes that you can easily pick up at the store, I'd recommend Dylon or Rainbow Rock. I've heard Rit bleeds forever!

My local Walmart has both Dylon and Rainbow Rock in the craft section.

Dylon dyes come in a little envelope/packet for around $2/color. If you want solid colors, these are great. The envelope tells you the weight of dry fabric that it will dye and it's a very simple process. You use a bucket or pan or sink or whatever and put enough sal****er (it tells you how much salt to use) to cover the dipes. Then you mix the dye powder with 2 cups of water (I think), pour it in with the sal****er and dipes, mix it all up, and let it soak for an hour. You're supposed to stir it frequently during that time just to make sure everything's even. When the hour is up, drain the water, run the dipes under clean water until it's just about clear, and then wash. I think I had to wash mine about 5 times before the rinsewater was completely clear again. Just a note, the instructions say that you cannot "reuse" the leftover dye...I didn't try it to see.

If you want to try your hand at tie-dying, I'd recommend one of the Rainbow Rock kits. I've gotten those at Walmart in the craft section and at my local craft store. If I remember right, it was around $10 for a kit that contained 3 colors or $20 for a bigger kit (6 colors?). The kit also comes with detailed instructions for doing different techniques, "fixer" which you have to soak the fabric in before dying, bottles for the dye, and gloves and rubber bands. To do that, you wet the fabric, "tie" it as appropriate, soak in the "fixer" solution for 20 minutes, mix the dyes as strong/weak as you want them, squirt the dye on the diaper (and it does take A LOT to soak all the way through the diaper!), wrap the diaper in plastic wrap, let it set for a few hours (I got great results leaving it overnight), then rinse until the water runs just about clear and wash. I think I had to wash those 3-5 times before they stopped bleeding as well. And you can reuse the leftover RR dye...you can also dilute it more to make it last longer.

I did some bleached prefolds and some unbleached. The ones I did in the Dylon dyes kept the "beige" color under the dye but they don't look ugly (at least I don't think so!). The ones I did in the RR dyes came out looking like they were bleached, I think it was probably because of the fixer. Either way, I don't think you'd notice much difference unless you knew what you were looking for.

I have used an old tupperware bowl for dying...I rinsed it as soon as it was done and it didn't stain. I also used some glass baking dishes and they didn't stain. I think someone mentioned letting the dyes soak in a porcelain sink and it did stain.

Here are some pics of what I did:

These are UB Preemie CPFs. The four on the bottom row were done with RR dye. The first one on the top row was done with RR. The middle two on the top were Dylon. The last one on the top was done with "leftovers". I watered down the RR dye I had left and also squirted on some of the leftover Dylon dye...as you can see, the color is not quite as vibrant.

These are Bleached Infant CPFs. Now you can see what I mean about it taking a LOT of dye to soak all the way through when the fabric is tied. The two red ones and the green one were Dylon dyes. The last two on the middle row were "leftovers" (red and green Dylon dye, other colors RR). The rest were RR.

You can google for tie-dye techniques and find lots of fun tips, just keep in mind that most of those tips are for t-shirts...diapers are much thicker and harder to work with. You can also check out this thread http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1047&highlight=tie-dye+tips for more tips and tricks.

Good luck!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
Jodi
Registered Users

If you go to my website, www.wildchildtiedyes.com I have an instruction sheet on doing tie-dye with kids (under "links", I believe). Those folds probably won't be relevent for dipes (go for pleats if you decide to tie-dye--they work great on prefolds!) but everything else is--from where to get dye, activator, etc. to how to mix the dye to how to apply with a squirt bottle (you can dunk in solid colors just as easily) & later rinse it out. When I do prefolds I do another hot wash & dry when all that is done, just to be sure. If anybody does download my instructions & has questions, feel free to email me. Good luck! Let me know how they come out!

Last edited by Jodi; 06-15-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Jodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Oooh, I just found this thread again! Thanks ladies!
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote