Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
grinding beef into hamburger

My mom has an extra meat grinder (one Grandma had forty years ago). It is a hand cranked metal one. Will this work well for raw meat. She's only ground cooked beef and chicken in it. I'm going to give it a try and start grinding raw so it's not full of fillers. If anyone has suggestions on the cut of meat I should get let me know Also, for those of you who do this, is it a lot more expensive then buying it already ground? I'm tired of not knowing what's in my meat, and love DIY projects. Thanks

Christian family. Psalm 63:3-4 "Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands."
nebraskamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: grinding beef into hamburger

Any meat that has marbling in it should be good (nothing too lean). I don't know about pricing as we just butcher our own cow we raise. I used to work at a small grocery store and a lot of people would buy cuts of whatever meat they wanted and ask the butcher to grind it up for them and it was free of charge. Now my husband is the butcher!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote